Odd clicking noise in dash - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion



C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd clicking noise in dash

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
65GGvert
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
65GGvert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Kannapolis NC
Posts: 13,050
Thanked 496 Times in 455 Posts
Default Odd clicking noise in dash

New to the C6, I have an 08. Is it normal that a clicking noise comes from the dash somewhere everytime you change a setting in the DIC, or press the acc button, and several other functions? It almost sounds like contacts making and braking. Sounds like it's behind the radio. I haven't tried any others, but I figured you guys would know.
65GGvert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
glenB
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14
 
glenB's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Pinellas Park Fl
Posts: 4,974
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GGvert View Post
New to the C6, I have an 08. Is it normal that a clicking noise comes from the dash somewhere everytime you change a setting in the DIC, or press the acc button, and several other functions? It almost sounds like contacts making and braking. Sounds like it's behind the radio. I haven't tried any others, but I figured you guys would know.
Sounds like one of the vent actuators have failed.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Chris3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Posts: 378
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

On mine-09..I here a stadic noise when Iam pressing the acc button..it seems like it is also comming from behind the radio.

I was wandering the same thing..is this normal?
Chris3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
SinisterC6
CF Senior Member
 
SinisterC6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Knoxville Tennessee
Posts: 4,569
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3 View Post
On mine-09..I here a stadic noise when Iam pressing the acc button..it seems like it is also comming from behind the radio.

I was wandering the same thing..is this normal?
the static is coming from the center speaker atop the dash
SinisterC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
diverdan
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
diverdan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Riva MD
Posts: 890
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The clicking you are hearing is probably normal and is just part of how the car is designed. This has been discussed a fair amount around here.
diverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
steve miller
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
Support Corvetteforum!
 
steve miller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Location: Parkland Florida
Posts: 5,366

Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I've heard the clicking noise u describe on a few of the C6's I've owned. You'll get used to it.....
steve miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
car2fast4you
CF Senior Member
 
car2fast4you's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Lindenhurst Illinois
Posts: 2,221
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

If the clicking only occurs before you start it up, it's the sensor syncing with the fob, I believe.
car2fast4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
okie08vette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Norman OK
Posts: 5,410
Thanked 49 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GGvert View Post
New to the C6, I have an 08. Is it normal that a clicking noise comes from the dash somewhere everytime you change a setting in the DIC, or press the acc button, and several other functions? It almost sounds like contacts making and braking. Sounds like it's behind the radio. I haven't tried any others, but I figured you guys would know.
Sounds like just some on the normal noises my 08 makes, they are kiind of loud. I know they can make a electronic relay that would be quite.

I really wish I could but the car in acc mode with the key fob though.
okie08vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
SinisterC6
CF Senior Member
 
SinisterC6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Knoxville Tennessee
Posts: 4,569
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default

op - sit in the car with the door closed and everything off, make sure is completely silent. press the brake pedal, did you hear a noise? how does it compare to the noise your asking about?
SinisterC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
65GGvert
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
65GGvert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Kannapolis NC
Posts: 13,050
Thanked 496 Times in 455 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterC6 View Post
op - sit in the car with the door closed and everything off, make sure is completely silent. press the brake pedal, did you hear a noise? how does it compare to the noise your asking about?
That's the same noise I'm talking about. It happens with several different functions, including programming options in the DIC. It's just a series of clicks that sounds like relays It's not static in the speakers and it's not in the A/C vent actuator. It's an electrical click the same as the click you hear when you press the brake without the car running. It also does it when I open the door with acc off, if I recall correctily.
65GGvert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
Red Cell
CF Senior Member
 
Red Cell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,493
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2fast4you View Post
If the clicking only occurs before you start it up, it's the sensor syncing with the fob, I believe.


100% accurate.

Red Cell.
Red Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
LS WON
CF Senior Member
 
LS WON's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco CA
Posts: 30,133
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Default

The clicking sound I hear is when car is idle sometimes it goes on sometimes off. Probably normal as it has been doing this for 4 years now.
LS WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
SinisterC6
CF Senior Member
 
SinisterC6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Knoxville Tennessee
Posts: 4,569
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GGvert View Post
That's the same noise I'm talking about. It happens with several different functions, including programming options in the DIC. It's just a series of clicks that sounds like relays It's not static in the speakers and it's not in the A/C vent actuator. It's an electrical click the same as the click you hear when you press the brake without the car running. It also does it when I open the door with acc off, if I recall correctily.
the fuse box is located in the pass footwell, your hearing the different relays coming on - totally normal
SinisterC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
George's_Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
George's_Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: Twisp WA
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Ahhh the rewards of working in turbine helicopters for over a decade. WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY? Clicking, I don't hear no clicking.

Seriously my 2009 does not make any clicking noises from the dash area. It does however make a God awful metal on metal grinding noise from the tunnel when cold for the first few miles till it warms up..

I'll trade you noises?

George
Twisp, WA
George's_Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #15
surfbug
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterC6 View Post
op - sit in the car with the door closed and everything off, make sure is completely silent. press the brake pedal, did you hear a noise? how does it compare to the noise your asking about?
i was wandering what this was. The clicking was not driving me crazy...but just had me wondering

So i did thw above test. Sound is exactly the same. Now what?

Big Al

2008 c6 ls3 lt2 A5
surfbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:49 AM   #16
Jerry0
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GGvert View Post
New to the C6, I have an 08. Is it normal that a clicking noise comes from the dash somewhere everytime you change a setting in the DIC, or press the acc button, and several other functions? It almost sounds like contacts making and braking. Sounds like it's behind the radio. I haven't tried any others, but I figured you guys would know.
Just had similar situation on my 05/c6(helpful members of forum guided me thru with GREAT advise)
does it happen just when starting (normal) or continue while braking possibly?
As mentioned earlier relay chatter is normal when starting but if it continues during driving (as mine did)it ended up being stuck/hung-up
trunk release button above license plate. Chattering caused by switch
making contact and security system (relay would chatter behind radio)
pull out switch/clean and try again..in my case problem solved

worth a shot takes 10 minutes

good luck
Jerry0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #17
65GGvert
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
65GGvert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Kannapolis NC
Posts: 13,050
Thanked 496 Times in 455 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry0 View Post
Just had similar situation on my 05/c6(helpful members of forum guided me thru with GREAT advise)
does it happen just when starting (normal) or continue while braking possibly?
As mentioned earlier relay chatter is normal when starting but if it continues during driving (as mine did)it ended up being stuck/hung-up
trunk release button above license plate. Chattering caused by switch
making contact and security system (relay would chatter behind radio)
pull out switch/clean and try again..in my case problem solved

worth a shot takes 10 minutes

good luck
That was 7 years ago. I sold the car 6 years ago.
65GGvert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #18
Boomer111
CF Senior Member
 
Boomer111's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area Ca.
Posts: 13,942
Thanked 101 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve miller View Post
I've heard the clicking noise u describe on a few of the C6's I've owned. You'll get used to it.....
Or like myself just do not hear it!
Boomer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #19
Jerry0
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GGvert View Post
That was 7 years ago. I sold the car 6 years ago.
sorry
didnt realize old post why was it on forum dated yesterday ?????
was just trying to be helpful
Jerry0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
CF Member
 
robertmc1958@gmail.c's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Location: Virginia Beach Viginia
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Probably what you are hearing is the RCDLR module. It's mounted just above the radio head. It's completely normal, just ignore it.
robertmc1958@gmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Odd clicking noise in dash
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    C5 corvette dash noise vettelover8306 C5 General 4 02-15-2017 07:25 PM
    Servo noise from under dash? [email protected] C7 Tech/Performance 0 07-27-2016 07:11 PM
    Clicking noise Repzard C4 Tech/Performance 11 05-16-2007 06:49 PM
    Speedo needle jumping all over TFeld78 C3 Tech/Performance 4 12-05-2002 11:17 PM
    Tach Problem damac C1 & C2 Corvettes 6 09-10-2001 11:47 PM


    Tags
    1994, 2005, 2008, ac, braking, c5, c6, clicking, corvette, dash, dashboard, noise, sound, start, ticking

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 AM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: