C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here comes the rain again...And Deep Puddles

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:29 AM
FactoryZ51
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Here comes the rain again...And Deep Puddles

Last edited by FactoryZ51; 05-01-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:10 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FactoryZ51
So we've been having a nice little downpour here in ususally sunny socal. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay home and keep my baby in the garage. I had to drive my baby in the rain, and came upon a couple of flooded intersections. The water was about a foot deep in some and I drove very slowly through them.

However, I'm worried that I might have spawned some electrical gremlins. The car is driving fine, nothing unusual. I was surprised that not a single drop of water seeped through the bottom of the door jams. But is there anything I should keep an eye out for in the next couple of days, besides avoiding all crappy intersections, of which there are many?
i would say it should be able to handle a foot of water at stock ride height without any major issues although I would not do it on a regular basis

most areas of concern would be the front of the car as the back sits a little higher.

good first step would be feeling around the cabin (especially footwells as that's where a lot of wiring/electronics are sitting) and engine bay (around the battery and wherever there are harnesses/connectors that sit low - starter?) to see if you have any residual dampness/water puddles, if none are there you should be fine.

you could get a leaf blower and try to blow out the water from the engine compartment, if you got some that's collected in nooks and crannies there. I'd be a little concerned for the corrosion around wheel sensors and their plugs - that's right next to your wheel hubs. there is not much you can do until stuff goes wrong and it should be pretty obvious if it does - watch out for ABS/TC/AH idiot lights and weird stuff from brakes and traction/active handling system

probably the best/easiest thing to do is just to drive the car a bunch so that mechanical vibration and heat can take care of any moisture.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:26 AM
RussellZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove over 200 miles in the rain yesterday and my car is fine. Don't worry about a problem that hasn't even happened.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 AM
SlasherMcGee
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Just be glad your not in ND with...Nothing like feet of snow and then flooding in the Spring.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

A foot of water! I'd be very cautious about driving through that much water. Even with the stock intake the owner's manual cautions against driving through deep standing water. You run the risk of ingesting water and potentially hydro-locking your engine. For those using after market (bottom feeding) cold air intakes you have to be even more careful to avoid deep standing water.

If you have another vehicle to use I suggest you leave the Vette at home so long as there are foot deep puddles to ford.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 AM
freyke
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife exploded the engine in her 2007 Daytona Charger this past summer... $8000.00 and a re-manufactured 5.7 Hemi later - it's back on the road... She went through about 8-12 inches of water. Water never made it into the cabin, but it sure got sucked through the airbox and on past the throttlebody and into the cylinders.... Bottom line, "water don't compress" - bad ju-ju man.

Get notified of new replies

To Here comes the rain again...And Deep Puddles

Quick Reply: Here comes the rain again...And Deep Puddles