C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery Charging and Fast Beeps

Old 02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Brandxer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dead Battery Charging and Fast Beeps

I have a 2005 and owned it since new. I have never had a dead battery. It had been a while since I last started the car but when I went to get in the red lock light wasn't flashing or even lit. I knew that I had a dead battery. I figured that I could recharge but when I put the trickle charger on the battery it made successive fast beeps. What is the issue won't the battery take a charge because it is too dead? Once I heard the beeps I immediately disengaged the charger. What can anyone recommend I searched and did not find a similar issue with the beeping and all? I appreciate anyone's help...
Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandxer
I have a 2005 and owned it since new. I have never had a dead battery. It had been a while since I last started the car but when I went to get in the red lock light wasn't flashing or even lit. I knew that I had a dead battery. I figured that I could recharge but when I put the trickle charger on the battery it made successive fast beeps. What is the issue won't the battery take a charge because it is too dead? Once I heard the beeps I immediately disengaged the charger. What can anyone recommend I searched and did not find a similar issue with the beeping and all? I appreciate anyone's help...
it may be your charger, alot of the new chargers have polarity checking and/or voltage checking. If the battery has real low or no volts then it wont engage the charger. A way to see if your charger is this way is to quickly touch the leads together (Away from the battery so it doesnt explode) and see if there is a spark, if not then you wont be able to charge unless you jump it first or do like i do and hook up a battery jumper box to it so it sees voltage and starts charging
Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ah...

If it were ME.... I would just replace it and thank the 4-5 years of use I had with it... It is no doubt weak and time has come to just replace. I don't want to guess, IF it will start... My .02
Old 02-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Brandxer
Advanced

Default Tried the Battery Charger Test

I found that my charger did spark. I guess that the battery is too dead. I will go out and replace since it is on it's fifth year. Many thanks for the fast responce. I appreciate this forum's advice I usually find everyone helpful.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:49 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

You are way ahead of the game compared to the average here for the life of the original battery. Just put in a new one.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:01 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

May want to wait til spring now to buy a battery. It'll just sit there in the cold anyway.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Trickle chargers are designed to "maintain" a charged battery. If your battery is dead your best bet is to put a real battery charger on it and see if you can bring it back to life, however i foresee a new battery in your near future.

George
Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Brandxer
Advanced

Default Beeps with standard charger

Thanks for the info but when I put on my standard charger I got successive louder beeps. What does the beeping mean? Is the battery too low to accept a charge? I am not a electrical engineer but when the horn beeps I do not take that as a good sign.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
hitecredneck
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnect the battery cable and then charge the battery. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I trickle charged the battery for 2 days. No problems after charging.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:00 PM
JFFVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hitecredneck
Disconnect the battery cable and then charge the battery. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I trickle charged the battery for 2 days. No problems after charging.
The same thing happened to me last year. I had to disconnect the battery to charge it. I bought a new one in the spring, since that one had fully discharged, and I didn't trust it. The dealer said that it tested good though, but I still bought a new Delco.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery Charging and Fast Beeps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead Battery Charging and Fast Beeps