C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 AM
HOTXFIL
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
You've done an outstanding job of engineering an after-market product that's sure to be very popular and should sell well.

Now that you're not doing anything else (), may I suggest you begin design work on a companion product that will allow us to retrofit a factory-equivalent Bluetooth capability into any pre-2009 C6.
Pigpile on the above, plus: How about 1) incorporating popular radar detector displays into the hud, and 2) making a deal with Garmin to hack/replace the crappy GPS software in GM nav units with Garmin software (and the ability to recieve traffic data too)?!

That should keep the big brains at Mediatronics busy... And I'd buy all that tomorrow--even if it DID void my radio warranty!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Ray,
Great work as usual. I guess I should buy an IPOD someday. It would be great to replace XM.

I also agree that a bluetooth adapter for pre 2009 would be nice.

Dave
Old 02-26-2010, 05:05 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by teking
I have a 30GB Classic (black w/ chrome back). Will it work with this kit in an 06Z w/ Factory NAV/XM? Also, will it charge when connected?

If so, I'm definitely in.
I'm not an iPod expert, but if it can connect to your computer with a USB connection, I believe it will work fine. I understand that the very early iPods had a firewire connection and this would require the earlier iPod cable. Both are available.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 02-27-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by jacques
Ray,

Does the update to the first version of PAL address low input sensitivity? I may be interested in a firmware update nonetheless.

Jacques
Jacques,

I'm not sure what you mean by "low input sensitivity", but if you are asking about the differences in volume levels, take a look at Question 13 on the following website:

http://www.kawal.net/palfaqs.htm

Ray
Old 02-26-2010, 10:44 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

how does it integrate with the NON Nav 3lt 6 disc head unit? anyone had any luck with this?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:52 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by WhiteLightning_
how does it integrate with the NON Nav 3lt 6 disc head unit? anyone had any luck with this?
Take a look at your vehicle option white tag in the glove box. If you see a US8 or US9, these are the XM ready non-Nav radios. Both work with the version 2.0 PAL.

Ray
Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Ray, unless you have a pre-2008 car all the radio's are US8, US9 and U3U.

US8 - Single Disc
US9 - 6-Disc
U3U - Nav

This may even be true for 2005-2007 cars I just don't have the info for those model years accessible.

EDIT: 2007 looks to be the same, 2005 and 2006 aren't. I think 2005 has even a different Nav (not U3U). However 2005 and 2006 have options for US8 and US9 they just have a couple of other radios as well. So if you have a 2007 and newer PAL version 2.0 should work with any radio you have.
I'm pretty sure that 2007 (that I have) has the same options. What I'm not sure about are the "base radios" for 2005 and 2006. Does anyone know if those "base radios" are NOT a US8 or US9?

Mediatronics informed me that the US8 and US9 radios are "XM ready" and will therefore work with the new version 2.0 PAL. However, if there are other radios in the early C6 years, it is not yet clear whether or not the new PAL will work with them.

If anyone who has a 2005 or 2006 is interested in this new PAL, they should look at their white option tag in the glove box and determine which radio they have. If it is something other than the US8 or US9, then please email me and I can do further research into the compatibility of the the PAL with those particular radios. The Service Manual for those years should include the option list for the radios, including the Nav.

I think even the Nav unit in those early years may have had a different option code, but I think we've now had time enough to determine that those early Navs will work with the PAL, even if they might require a firmware upgrade.

Mediatronics has done all of their bench testing with models 2008 and newer, so earlier version compatibility must be determined by experience.

Ray
Old 02-28-2010, 02:23 PM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

E-mail sent re: TomTom iPhone kit!

Vaughn
Old 02-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If bluetooth arrives before I replace my deck because it does not have bluetooth you have a sale! I am hoping to change by end of April. Garmin NAV would also be a serious plus
Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Enchanter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Enchanter
I'd love to have my Valentine1 integrated into the HUD.
Originally Posted by ALVetteFan
Not to go too far off topic, but if someone could figure out a way to build an interface for a V-1 in the HUD, that would be really cool.
Originally Posted by Z06 OCD
Pigpile on the above, plus: How about 1) incorporating popular radar detector displays into the hud,
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...ion-1-0-a.html
Old 03-01-2010, 01:47 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

So if I have a US9 radio and install this, what would the interface be like...do you use the ipod to control the music or the radio?(sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere)? Does it still integrate with the HUD? Would song titles display anywhere?

Also, my car doesn't have an XM receiver (as far as I know), would my install be more difficult?

Thanks

Last edited by sevinn; 03-01-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:09 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by SEVINN
So if I have a US9 radio and install this, what would the interface be like...do you use the ipod to control the music or the radio?(sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere)? Does it still integrate with the HUD? Would song titles display anywhere?

Also, my car doesn't have an XM receiver (as far as I know), would my install be more difficult?

Thanks
One of the reasons I'm holding off on taking orders is that I want to personally test this non-Nav PAL in my own '07 Z06 so I will know exactly how it operates. To do that, I need to replace my Nav radio with a US9 radio, which I already have, but I can't do that until I return home next week around March 9th. Once I have it working, I will take and post photos of the display to show exactly how it works and what it looks like.

I have seen this working on a bench test and yes, the titles and artists and other information is displayed on the radio display. This display is obviously more limited than the full screen Nav display, but you control the iPod through the radio buttons, similar to the Nav control. The HUD is also integrated, and I will show photos of that as well, once I get a chance to use the unit in my own car.

You should check to see whether or not you have the XM cable in your car. I think later models do, whether or not you have the XM receiver, but I'm not sure about all years back to 2005. If you have this cable, you will find a 16 pin connector by pulling back the carpet above the left rear wheel well in the coupe/Z06s and behind the waterfall in the convertibles. This is the location for the XM receiver if you have one. Here is the 16 pin connector:

If you have the cable, PAL installation is simple, because that area is very accessible (you don't even need tools for the coupe/Z06s), and the PAL is connected there. You can have the PAL operating in about 5-10 minutes.

If you do not have the cable, then the only place to connect the PAL is at the back of the radio or Nav unit. This requires a different harness (which I supply), but you must remove your center console to be able to remove the radio (easily done once the console is out, with four 7mm screws). This isn't difficult either, but you do need a few tools and disconnecting the power outlet connectors under the console is a bit tricky the first time you do it.

I'll be posting on the forum once I get home and have the new PALs operating.

Ray
Old 03-01-2010, 03:14 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by kawal
One of the reasons I'm holding off on taking orders is that I want to personally test this non-Nav PAL in my own '07 Z06 so I will know exactly how it operates. To do that, I need to replace my Nav radio with a US9 radio, which I already have, but I can't do that until I return home next week around March 9th. Once I have it working, I will take and post photos of the display to show exactly how it works and what it looks like.

I have seen this working on a bench test and yes, the titles and artists and other information is displayed on the radio display. This display is obviously more limited than the full screen Nav display, but you control the iPod through the radio buttons, similar to the Nav control. The HUD is also integrated, and I will show photos of that as well, once I get a chance to use the unit in my own car.

You should check to see whether or not you have the XM cable in your car. I think later models do, whether or not you have the XM receiver, but I'm not sure about all years back to 2005. If you have this cable, you will find a 16 pin connector by pulling back the carpet above the left rear wheel well in the coupe/Z06s and behind the waterfall in the convertibles. This is the location for the XM receiver if you have one. Here is the 16 pin connector:

If you have the cable, PAL installation is simple, because that area is very accessible (you don't even need tools for the coupe/Z06s), and the PAL is connected there. You can have the PAL operating in about 5-10 minutes.

If you do not have the cable, then the only place to connect the PAL is at the back of the radio or Nav unit. This requires a different harness (which I supply), but you must remove your center console to be able to remove the radio (easily done once the console is out, with four 7mm screws). This isn't difficult either, but you do need a few tools and disconnecting the power outlet connectors under the console is a bit tricky the first time you do it.

I'll be posting on the forum once I get home and have the new PALs operating.

Ray
Thanks for the reply. I'm very interested
Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 AM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post. That was an interesting read.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 AM
08Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray - please put me on the list for "Bluetooth" when available.

I have been using the PAL with your cable for awhile and have no problems...THANKS again - Jimmy
Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Roadster
Ray - please put me on the list for "Bluetooth" when available.

I have been using the PAL with your cable for awhile and have no problems...THANKS again - Jimmy
Please add me to your Bluetooth list too.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 PM
BDillon
Instructor

Put me on the Bluetooth request list also.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners

Old 03-02-2010, 01:13 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in for the Bluetooth, rear camera Ipod version. Do you think they will all come in this year?
Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Ames
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 2 of Rays cables already. Work great. I'd like to be on the list for the rear camera version.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Thrillhouse
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Bluetooth and the functional aux-in are what I'd be interested in. I've missed the integrated bluetooth my old Infiniti had since the day I got the 'vette.

If you need someone local to test any of this stuff, let me know.

Quick Reply: FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners