C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners

Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 AM
cylon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had mine for over a year now and it worked great. In recent months, I find that I have to disconnect all the plugs and re-connect, before it will recognize the iPod. It wouldnt be such a pain except that I have to remove the "waterfall" on the convertible each time. This now occurs about every two weeks

Any suggesitons?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:13 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cylon
I have had mine for over a year now and it worked great. In recent months, I find that I have to disconnect all the plugs and re-connect, before it will recognize the iPod. It wouldnt be such a pain except that I have to remove the "waterfall" on the convertible each time. This now occurs about every two weeks

Any suggesitons?
Hi Norm,

If you will email me your phone number at ray@kawal.net I’d be happy to call you to help troubleshoot your installation. Or feel free to call me at your convenience.

In the meantime, here is the PAL troubleshooting page:

http://www.kawal.net/troubleshoot.htm

Ray
Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Default Product Availability Update

I just shipped 42 PALs to Vette owners who have been waiting for up to a month or more. I still have 19 backorders, but Mediatronics is scheduled to ship more next week, so hopefully I'll be caught up with all backorders by next weekend.

Ray
Old 07-09-2012, 09:26 AM
mixer99
Instructor

Ray,

Forgive me if this has already been asked- With the introduction of the new Iphone 5, and the new dock connector that is smaller, would it be possible, in theory, to construct a new compatible cable for our PALs? I know that is a lot of what ifs, but I wanted to go ahead and get this out there so it could be on folks minds.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:32 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by mixer99
Ray,

Forgive me if this has already been asked- With the introduction of the new Iphone 5, and the new dock connector that is smaller, would it be possible, in theory, to construct a new compatible cable for our PALs? I know that is a lot of what ifs, but I wanted to go ahead and get this out there so it could be on folks minds.
I don't know a thing about the iPhone 5 yet, so I can't answer your question. But I'll forward your question to Mediatronics in case they have an answer.

Ray
Old 07-11-2012, 05:43 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kawal
I don't know a thing about the iPhone 5 yet, so I can't answer your question. But I'll forward your question to Mediatronics in case they have an answer.

Ray
Hey I had the same question... would be really disapointed if i couldnt seeing i am using a 3gs and want that iphone 5... but i just paid 180 for the pal 2 kit. hopefully you can work this out for us ray, your service is a1

I will say that the question is a little premature as the phone is not out yet. Also there is a lot of accesories that use the original dock connector and i would imagine that there would be some sort of adapter... but all is premature until the 5 is out,
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 AM
mixer99
Instructor

Originally Posted by black.z51.c6
Hey I had the same question... would be really disapointed if i couldnt seeing i am using a 3gs and want that iphone 5... but i just paid 180 for the pal 2 kit. hopefully you can work this out for us ray, your service is a1

I will say that the question is a little premature as the phone is not out yet. Also there is a lot of accesories that use the original dock connector and i would imagine that there would be some sort of adapter... but all is premature until the 5 is out,
Thanks everyone...We have a month or two before the launch, so plenty of time, still. Fact is, I will just buy a cheap nano ipod if it turns out to be too much of a hassle/no adapter available, etc.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by mixer99
Thanks everyone...We have a month or two before the launch, so plenty of time, still. Fact is, I will just buy a cheap nano ipod if it turns out to be too much of a hassle/no adapter available, etc.
Actually, I think that is an excellent solution for many folks, whether you have an iPhone or other smartphone. I personally use a Motorola Droid Razr for my smartphone, which I connect to the Version 2 PAL auxiliary input for using it "handsfree". But for my music, I use a 3rd generation iPod Nano and leave it connected to my PAL in both my Corvette and another one in my '06 GMC Sierra pickup. Nanos are cheap, but they provide excellent storage for your music, which is all you need with the PAL. That allows you to control everything from the Nav (or non-Nav radio) display and just use the iPod for storage.

Ray
Old 07-17-2012, 05:40 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Ray,

When the blue tooth does eventually come out, how do we get it upgraded? Send the unit back to you? Estimated cost?

I just trying to decide whether to just wait a couple months or do it now.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:15 PM
MrKState
Advanced

Originally Posted by cylon

Any suggesitons?
Cylon - try this ... Before shutting down the vette - turn of the stereo system.

Suspect that you are leaving the stereo system on - when you shutdown the vette.

Try this for a while - see if the issue goes away.

What year/model of vette do you have ?

MrKState
Old 07-18-2012, 02:57 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by mickeykelley
Ray,

When the blue tooth does eventually come out, how do we get it upgraded? Send the unit back to you? Estimated cost?

I just trying to decide whether to just wait a couple months or do it now.
Mickey,

Mediatronics has been promising the Bluetooth module for over two years now, and I still have not seen an actual module. I have seen the Nav interface and it's very nice, but a bench model isn't too useful to any of us. During the past few months, Mediatronics has been concentrating their efforts on maintaining PAL production and a few other projects that has resulted in delaying the Bluetooth project. I know it is in the forefront of their project list, but I'd just be guessing as to when I might actually be able to offer it as a kit to Corvette owners. I'd venture a wild guess of a few more months.

In my '02 Tahoe and '06' GMC pickup I use a Motorola HF1000 Bluetooth system, hardwired in, and it's very nice. All other aftermarket Bluetooth setups haven't really impressed me much. I have an extra HF1000 that I've been contemplating for my Z06, but I too keep waiting for the PAL Bluetooth.

So you'll have to decide whether to pull the trigger on something else or wait, just like I do. Once the PAL Bluetooth comes out, at the very least you would need a software upgrade to accommodate the new interface. But software upgrades are easy to do if you ship me your module. At this point I can't guess a cost - the software won't be much - if anything - but the module will cost you something. A wild guess might be somewhere between $100-200.

I wish I could tell you more, but I too am waiting on Mediatronics. I DO know that they are very anxious to try out some new products on Corvette owners, because we are a unique market and there are many thousands of C6s out there whose owners want the latest in modern electronics. They are even looking into high definition Nav displays that can interface with modern smartphones and their navigation apps. These displays would be plug and play and look identical to OEM components. They will also include back up camera options, Sirius radio, HD radio, voice navigation, and all sorts of goodies. But don't write back and ask me about them, because I just don't have enough useful information to comment more. Mediatronics wants to capture the C6 market, thinking that if we can upgrade the electronics, many owners will decide to keep their C6s instead to going to a C7. These new electronics could even be better than what GM can offer in the C7 - we'll see.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 07-18-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:10 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by MrKState
Cylon - try this ... Before shutting down the vette - turn of the stereo system.

Suspect that you are leaving the stereo system on - when you shutdown the vette.

Try this for a while - see if the issue goes away.

What year/model of vette do you have ?

MrKState
Out of over a thousand Version 2 PALs that I have shipped, most all PAL owners find no problems or issues, and they continue to operate flawlessly with no special procedures needed - like the suggestion above. But I've got a couple of owners who just cannot get their PALs to work consistently every time. I have one owner who I've replaced his PAL module three times, replaced his iPod cable twice, and I'm now trying a new installation harness. We'll find out if this works, but I'm skeptical because we've tried so hard already. He has an '08 Vette, which should be about as simple of an installation as there is, but there is something about his car that is different. His next door neighbor has a Vette with a Version 2 PAL and it works flawlessly. They've even swapped components, but even that hasn't completely solved the issues.

He has finally "solved" his problem by turning off the radio before shutting down the car. I don't know why this is necessary in his car, but it seems to work. So any of you who have a goofy or weird problem like this, it never hurts to try.

Ray
Old 07-18-2012, 03:21 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Ok Ray, now you went and done did it.......I and everyone else wants the new stuff. Where is it, when can I get on the back order list, how much does it cost, why won't it do this and that, etc., etc., etc.

I guess I'll pull the PAL trigger here is a couple weeks when I get back from trip.......
Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 AM
blkvette07
Intermediate

hello,i have a 07 Corvette with the base radio,(no nav or xm)my wife really wants to hook her i pod up to the radio but there is no i pod jack.i have thought about a aftermarket radio,08 Corvette 6 disc radio with i pod jack,or a i pod adapter.i am looking for the least expensive way for her to use a i pod in her 07 vette without using a fm modulator.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:18 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by blkvette07
hello,i have a 07 Corvette with the base radio,(no nav or xm)my wife really wants to hook her i pod up to the radio but there is no i pod jack.i have thought about a aftermarket radio,08 Corvette 6 disc radio with i pod jack,or a i pod adapter.i am looking for the least expensive way for her to use a i pod in her 07 vette without using a fm modulator.
I don't know if I can help you with the "least expensive" way, but I believe the best way to connect an iPod to a C6 Vette is with the Version 2 PAL. Here is my main website:

http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm

The top link describes the Version 2 PALs. Take a look at the installation pages. An '07 without XM may require you to connect the PAL at the back of the radio with the B-NONE kit. Check out the photos to see whether or not you have the XM connector already in place. If you do, the PAL hookup is super easy - if not, you'll have to pull the center console and radio - not a huge deal but it will take you a couple of hours.

Email me at ray@kawal.net if you have more questions.

Ray
Old 08-22-2012, 07:33 AM
08Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Ray - haven't seen any new posts for awhile. Can you give us any news on bluetooth progress?

Thanks - Jimmy
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 PM
sisoul
Instructor

Originally Posted by 08Roadster
Hi Ray - haven't seen any new posts for awhile. Can you give us any news on bluetooth progress?

Thanks - Jimmy
Ditto, Im so buying this unit when that comes out.

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners

Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by 08Roadster

Thanks - Jimmy
Jimmy,

The reason for the lack of posts is really lack of news. For the past couple of months, Mediatronics has been concentrating on getting their PAL production back to normal. They were way behind on deliveries and I had up to two months of backorders.

What was delaying production was the inability to find two components for their PAL circuit boards. One component was easily replaced with a software modification but the other component had to be replaced with a new small circuit board attached to the main board. When that was put into production, circuit boards finally became available again. But the very first modules shipped out had a minor hardware issue that prevented the XM band from showing up on the radios. Fortunately this was found early and replacement modules are being shipped as of now.

I THINK all of the production problems are finally resolved and by the end of this week I expect to have all backorders shipped and for the first time this year (!) I should actually have PALs in stock for immediate shipment.

Throughout all of this turmoil the Bluetooth project was again delayed. But in my discussions with Mediatronics, they are excited about not only the Bluetooth project but other projects for the C6 Corvette. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can actually deliver, because their objective is to have aftermarket products for the C6 that will surpass the quality of the electronics in the C7. Let's hope they come through.

Ray
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Ray,
Old 08-29-2012, 12:16 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Default Product Availability Update

I've got 20 PAL modules arriving tomorrow and another dozen on Thursday. So for the first time this year I'll actually have Version 2 PALs IN STOCK, ready for immediate shipment via Priority Mail.

As soon as the shipments arrive, I'll be filling about 25 backorders, so I don't know how long the extras will be available. I THINK another 20 will be on their way shortly, so I'm hoping I'll be able to keep these in stock for some time.

It's been quite a job trying to keep up with backorders, but I think we're finally over the hump.

Hopefully, Mediatronics can get back on their Bluetooth project since there are hundreds of Vette owners waiting for the new Bluetooth package. When I get some better information, I'll post on the forum.

Ray

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners