C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:43 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by azcamaro
Ray,
Now that the PAL and upgrades will cost me more than an aftermarket radio, what is your recommendation for the 2nd best ipod adapter for a C6 with XM and NAV?
Thanks!
Vic
I've been communicating again with Mediatronics, and there's a decent chance I'll have more Version 2 PALs in the next couple of months. Although they owe me 100 more PALs, I doubt I will get them all - it's too long of a story for here. But I may get half of the order and another 50 or so of a modified PAL for owners who do not subscribe to XM. I have one of those boards that I just received today from Mediatronics to test. What this modified PAL will do is actually replace the XM receiver in those Vettes that are equipped with XM but for owners who do not subscribe to XM. They will look identical to a PAL, but they will not have the additional electronics in them to be able to switch to XM. So both XM1 and XM2 will have the Version 2 PAL menu. Since most Corvette owners who have a PAL prefer their own music to that of XM, this should be a fairly popular accessory.

I'll also get a few regular Version 2 PALs, but they will go quickly. I'll announce them on my website when (or if) I do get them, so anyone interested should keep a close eye on the site:

http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm

I don't know the prices on either option yet, but they will definitely be significantly less that having to pay over $300 for a regular PAL, then another $100 or so to me for upgrading.

As to your question about the second best option, and perhaps the best option overall, is the replacement of your radio with one of the 2011-13 USB Corvette Nav radios. Any C6 Corvette owner can do this option, and the radios themselves are down from $3300 to about $850 from a guy on eBay - brand new GM USB Nav radios. You can read about this option here:

http://www.kawal.net/USB%20Nav.htm

I have one of these in my own '07 Z06 as well as a Version 2 PAL, and either one is a very nice option. The Version 2 PAL has a couple of small features the new radio doesn't have, but the overall compatibility and "factory" installation is hard to beat. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd have to pick the new USB factory Nav radio over the PAL.

If you feel you can't afford either of these premium options, a decent iPod interface is the USA Spec PA15-Vette interface. Here's a review of it:

http://www.kawal.net/pa15.htm

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, then a simple auxiliary input harness might be adequate for your needs. Here is a link to some basic questions about them:

http://www.kawal.net/aux%20basic.htm

One of the above options should resolve your audio questions. Notice I don't include any aftermarket radios as an option. Although I know many Vette owners have them and many think they are great, I personally like the OEM quality stuff that fit right in without alterations to your Corvette. I know some of the aftermarket radios have some more features than the factory Nav radios, but they won't work with the HUD, and to me (personal opinion) they just don't look "factory" enough. I like the genuine GM quality stuff, but again, this is just my own humble opinion.

In the meantime, do some searching around the internet for a Corvette PAL (GM part number 17800593). I've seen some go on eBay for as little as $120. The used ones are generally fine, and I can upgrade any of them with brand new software, installation harnesses, and iPod cables - it's the PAL module that you need, and generally, these don't go defective. I few do, yes, but even a brand new one can be defective - just like any electronic component. Most will last for years. Do Google searches for "17800593" and even once in a while one pops up on amazon.com for under $200. Or look at the Parts for Sale section of the Corvette Forum - used PALs pop up fairly often, even Version 2 PALs. When guys trade in their C6s for something newer, they often remove the PAL and sell it separately.

Good luck in your search for the perfect audio solution.

Ray
Old 08-09-2014, 02:01 PM
azcamaro
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Ray! I appreciate all of the effort you put into the post, especially the links. I don't have a lot of money to spend and want to do something in the next week or two, so I'll probably go for the PA-15 since the PAL2 is so up in the air.

Thanks!,
Vic
Old 08-09-2014, 03:11 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by azcamaro
Thanks Ray! I appreciate all of the effort you put into the post, especially the links. I don't have a lot of money to spend and want to do something in the next week or two, so I'll probably go for the PA-15 since the PAL2 is so up in the air.

Thanks!,
Vic
Hi Vic,

Amazon has good prices on the PA15-Vette adapters.

Another option is to just add an auxiliary input with one of my AUX-1 or AUX-2 harnesses, then add the Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth. That would give you both handsfree calling and wireless audio streaming from any smartphone. You can read about both on my website in the Auxiliary Input Harness section.

The aux harnesses are as low as $40, and the Kinivo from Amazon is under $40 bucks.

Ray
Old 07-30-2018, 01:13 PM
Dallas W Johnson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding USB to C6 2006 Nav option

Originally Posted by kawal
When the GM PAL became available to Corvette owners last July, it quickly became the best and most popular iPod interface available. But it was available only for owners with factory Nav and XM, and the installation was far more difficult than other aftermarket iPod adapters. For the past few months, I’ve been working with the team at Mediatronics Corp., the designer and builder of the PAL for General Motors, along with GM themselves, who together have been exceptionally responsive to suggestions, ideas, and problem solving in order to evolve the best possible iPod interface for the Corvette. We can finally announce some significant revisions to the original PAL that result in a greatly improved product.

There are plans to provide an online retail outlet for purchasing future PALs, but prior to that time, I have a limited number of PAL kits (with an upgraded software release) that I can offer for the purpose of getting feedback from C6 Corvette owners. This feedback will provide a basis for determining the final software and hardware configuration in the next generation of iPod interfaces for the Corvette and other GM vehicles. Your experience and comments regarding the installation and operation of the PALs will become most valuable in this design process.

Here are the features of the PAL (ver 2.0) kit that I can offer:

The PAL module includes revised software, and the module can be installed in all C6 Corvettes with the US8 base radio with single CD, US9 radio with 6 CD changer, and the U3U Nav radio. All three of these radios are XM compatible. XM may or may not be present, as the revised software will sense which radio is present and whether or not XM is installed. The software will create the XM1/2 softkeys even if the XM receiver is not present.

My harness for connection at the XM receiver will be included for all applications that have the XM cable located at the left rear wheel well for coupe/Z06s and at the waterfall for convertibles. For those cars without the factory XM harness, you will have to use the standard PAL installation harness for connection in back of the radio or Nav unit. That harness will be included for those applications upon request. Since these will be non-XM applications, it WILL NOT be necessary to connect the “dreaded” XM serial data wire spliced into the factory wiring harness.

The two RCA jacks on the PAL module are activated for an Auxiliary In connection that will allow you to connect other music devices to your Corvette audio system. These jacks provide audio in, but not charging of the device.

An interim operating manual will be included for the non-Nav radio application and the standard Nav radio operating manual will be included for factory Nav applications. A supplemental instruction sheet will be included for the operation of the Auxiliary In connection.

A new 6’ iPod cable will be included that will provide 5V USB charging for all iPods, iTouches, and iPhones (with the exception of the much older Gen 3 iPod products – if you still use this type of Apple product, let me know and I can include the original Firewire based 12 volt cable). In addition, a 6’ extension cable will be included that can be connected between the PAL module and the iPod cable to extend the iPod connection as far as 12’ from the PAL module. This will enable iPod installations most anywhere in the center console area even in the coupe/Z06s.

Updated software is included to eliminate some issues with operation slowdown when using large format hard drive iPods (such as the 80 gb and 160 gb Classic) with large music libraries and also resolves some past issues with PAL lockup when buttons are pushed too quickly and overload the XM communication path.

This PAL (version 2.0) kit is described in detail with photos and ordering information on the following website:

http://www.kawal.net/PAL Rev 2.htm

Here's a photo of the complete new PAL kit:

Anyone interested in one of these new PAL kits can contact me via email (much faster response than PMs) and I’m hopeful that you will provide feedback after you install and gain some experience with the new PAL. Mediatronics will utilize your information to modify the PAL code base in future software releases or generations of the Personal Audio Link.

Ray
How do I contact you about adding USB and or bluetooth to stock Bose system single disk with Nav. Shows XM never used or tried it really wold be happy just to be able to use my IPOD thruough the system.Just found you post as I have just purchased the the Vel Yellow convt. under 20 K is like a time capsule inside and out. Love it. jsut needs a little tweeking USB and Magnaflow . Tks for your time. Dallas Johnson Spfd MO
Old 07-31-2018, 06:50 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas W Johnson
How do I contact you about adding USB and or bluetooth to stock Bose system single disk with Nav. Shows XM never used or tried it really wold be happy just to be able to use my IPOD thruough the system.Just found you post as I have just purchased the the Vel Yellow convt. under 20 K is like a time capsule inside and out. Love it. jsut needs a little tweeking USB and Magnaflow . Tks for your time. Dallas Johnson Spfd MO
Go here and you can learn all about it and contact Ray.

http://www.kawal.net/PAL%20Rev%202.htm

Old 08-08-2018, 07:16 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Dallas W Johnson
Dallas,

Here is my main website:
http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm

Please take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions page at the top, as a start. Since you have XM, you have a number of different options. The only option you have for a USB connection is to swap out your radio with one of the newer 2011-13 factory Nav radios. You can read about that option here:
http://www.kawal.net/USB%20Nav.htm

If you have a Version 2 GM PAL, you have a built in auxiliary input that you can use for connecting a Bluetooth device like the Kinivo BTC450.

Email me anytime if you have questions at ray@kawal.net.

Ray
Old 04-08-2019, 11:41 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Ray!
Your GM Version2 PAL update significantly modernized the NAV radio in the 2010 GS Corvette I just got! I found the "high-MSRP" PAL dealer-installed module near the fusebox and probably would have just removed it if I hadn't found your postings and website!

After the update you did I now I have AUX Phono input capability for my phone, plus I ordered a 30Pin Bluetooth adapter after reading some of your guides. So my 2010 will soon rival "new" car connectivity! Thanks!

Also, the turnaround time was amazing! In only about one week total it traversed from east coast to west, was updated by you, and then traveled west coast to east, and I re-installed and tested it!
Amazing turnaround! Easy as pie. Thanks, and definitely worth it!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:13 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by mike_engr
Thanks Ray!
Your GM Version2 PAL update significantly modernized the NAV radio in the 2010 GS Corvette I just got! I found the "high-MSRP" PAL dealer-installed module near the fusebox and probably would have just removed it if I hadn't found your postings and website!

After the update you did I now I have AUX Phono input capability for my phone, plus I ordered a 30Pin Bluetooth adapter after reading some of your guides. So my 2010 will soon rival "new" car connectivity! Thanks!

Also, the turnaround time was amazing! In only about one week total it traversed from east coast to west, was updated by you, and then traveled west coast to east, and I re-installed and tested it!
Amazing turnaround! Easy as pie. Thanks, and definitely worth it!
Glad it worked good for you Mike.

Ray

Quick Reply: FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners