C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Rear End (Differential) Drain Plug on 2005 C6

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:04 PM
sep1234
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to remove the FILL plug after being curious. I used a 10 mm Allen socket and a ratchet. The fill plug removed quite easily -- just a little tug.

Then I tried a new tool -- a 10 mm boxed wrench with a ratchet head that swivels to different angles -- that I bought from Lowes. I used the 10 mm Allen stub, and it seemed like this would work. I used my hydraulic jack handle to provide lots of leverage. The drain plug is really stuck! The tool broke, and now it does not ratchet.

I really think this drain plug is frozen. Perhaps the factory used lots of loctite, or they used a fast spinning air tool during installation.

I reviewed the Helms manual procedure for removing the leaf spring. It requires a leaf spring compressor tool. They cost about $800 (according to one website), and Autozone does not appear to have one for rent.

I can make a tool like calemasters, which does look pretty strong. I will try that route.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by sep1234
I was able to remove the FILL plug after being curious. I used a 10 mm Allen socket and a ratchet. The fill plug removed quite easily -- just a little tug.

Then I tried a new tool -- a 10 mm boxed wrench with a ratchet head that swivels to different angles -- that I bought from Lowes. I used the 10 mm Allen stub, and it seemed like this would work. I used my hydraulic jack handle to provide lots of leverage. The drain plug is really stuck! The tool broke, and now it does not ratchet.

I really think this drain plug is frozen. Perhaps the factory used lots of loctite, or they used a fast spinning air tool during installation.

I reviewed the Helms manual procedure for removing the leaf spring. It requires a leaf spring compressor tool. They cost about $800 (according to one website), and Autozone does not appear to have one for rent.

I can make a tool like calemasters, which does look pretty strong. I will try that route.

Got any pics?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:06 PM
wagram
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm looking to buy the drain plug for my US C6 of 2005 , cause last owner destroy it ( can only open with a hammer so need a new one to replace after ) but cannot find it in france any links to find it in US ? thanks for your help

Last edited by wagram; 08-01-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:36 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wagram
Hi I'm looking to buy the drain plug for my US C6 of 2005 , cause last owner destroy it ( can only open with a hammer so need a new one to replace after ) but cannot find it in france any links to find it in US ? thanks for your help
The bar is in the way. Any forum vendor on here that sells parts can supply you with that drain plug.

Last edited by LS WON; 08-02-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:30 AM
vcone1
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrench

Originally Posted by calemasters
I made this tool. It works well for the job. The bend in the handle allows for the handle to clear the leaf spring and the suspension support and it is long enough for sufficient leverage. The hex tool is short enought to fit above the rear leaf spring and fit into the drain plug. I made the tool from a modified Sears Craftsman box end wrench with a thin handle so I could heat it and then bend to shape. I used a pipe from Home Depot to increase the length of the handle and then coated the handle with plastic dip. I would have been a zillionaire by now, but the tool is only needed for the 2005 MY C6.

Any chance you can make another one. Here is my email vcone1@att.net
The following users liked this post:
LS WON (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 10:18 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vcone1

Any chance you can make another one. Here is my email vcone1@att.net
Old 02-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I would like to know any specifics of how you 2005 C6 owners removed the drain plug on the differential of your 2005 C6. I have tried two times after reading http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-for-faq.html, the thread to which people refer. My drain plug seems to be hidden above the leaf spring just a little more than indicated in the pictures of this thread.

I have a 10 mm Allen wrench, 10 mm Allen socket, and other tools. I cannot get the Allen wrench to fit between the leaf spring and rear end, because the shorter end of the Allen wrench is too long while the leaf spring interferes. It also appears that if I were to cut the shorter end of the Allen wrench to be the same length as the distance between drain plug and leaf spring, then there would not be enough clearance between longer end of Allen wrench (the handle) and the heat sinks on the rear end.

I checked the 2005 Helms manuals. The procedure states simply to remove the drain plug. I was hoping to find a special tool J-#### in the manual.

I am prepared to remove the leaf spring, but I just wanted to check a third time on this forum before proceeding.

Thanks,
Jamie
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1OmoG3vTRL.jpg

This is what I used on my 05. Ball drive hex wrench in 3/8 drive
The following users liked this post:
LS WON (02-27-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 02:11 AM
Joseph Ji
2nd Gear

I actually did design a new tool. I cutoff a one-inch piece of the 10 mm Allen wrench. I put the one-inch 10-mm stub into the drain plug. Then I used a 10 mm crows foot, a 3/8" six-inch extension, and a 3/8" ratchet. I was careful to provide proper counter-torque and such. The drain plug was in there so tight. The crows foot was damaged. It was a cheap crows foot from Autozone. If I were to have a stronger crows foot, I think this idea would work. Maybe I will spray some penetrating spray at the plug, then wait, then use a stronger material for a crows foot. The cheap one from Autozone was not deep enough either, so it grabbed on just half of the 10-mm Allen wrench stub.

Sir,

This will work with the 20mm crows foot.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:12 AM
Joseph Ji
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Joseph Ji
Sir,

This will work with the 10mm crows foot.
10mm
Old 06-10-2018, 09:46 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I did mine a long time ago and used something out of the tool box that worked. What I would like so say is after you fill it up you should drive the car a few miles and get the fluid moving and let it sit. I found that after it was driven and left sit it would hold more fluid. Maybe there was an air bubble or something in the rear end but a refill was necessary.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 PM
oregonsteve
1st Gear

Recently bought a 2008 with under 10k miles. On the test drive, and every day for the past few weeks, it grunted and groaned on slow speed turns in the driveway, etc. Dealer wanted $130 to change the diff fluid and claimed it is normal noise. Bought 3 quarts of Dexron #88862624 from Amazon at less than $16 each (wanted one extra). Took it to my local Lube-it-USA and chatted it up with the guy in the pit to make sure he knew what he was doing. Had him drain the old, then pump about half a quart of new through to "rinse" it out. He then pumped in about 2 quarts until it ran out of the fill hole. He buttoned it down, rinsed it all off and was done. $25 for their labor. I watched the entire process, which he was fine with. Drove to big empty parking lot and did the figure 8's. I figure, it worked for me, avoided the dealer, watched the process, and didn't have to crawl under the car.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:52 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oregonsteve
Recently bought a 2008 with under 10k miles. On the test drive, and every day for the past few weeks, it grunted and groaned on slow speed turns in the driveway, etc. Dealer wanted $130 to change the diff fluid and claimed it is normal noise. Bought 3 quarts of Dexron #88862624 from Amazon at less than $16 each (wanted one extra). Took it to my local Lube-it-USA and chatted it up with the guy in the pit to make sure he knew what he was doing. Had him drain the old, then pump about half a quart of new through to "rinse" it out. He then pumped in about 2 quarts until it ran out of the fill hole. He buttoned it down, rinsed it all off and was done. $25 for their labor. I watched the entire process, which he was fine with. Drove to big empty parking lot and did the figure 8's. I figure, it worked for me, avoided the dealer, watched the process, and didn't have to crawl under the car.
I used the Amsoil differential flud combined with the GM additive. So far so good 35,000 miles later.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:20 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Holy Revival Batman!!

hey yall. What thread pitch is the drain plug? Mine is stripped and I'm gonna replace it Thanks.

Quick Reply: Removing Rear End (Differential) Drain Plug on 2005 C6