C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report: Chevy Considering 4-Door Corvette to Compete With Panamera

Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 PM
scottsdalevette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Report: Chevy Considering 4-Door Corvette to Compete With Panamera

Back in 1980, General Motors toyed with the idea of producing a 4-door Corvette America. A prototype was built but the project was later dropped. As absurd as the concept sounds, GM now appears to be revisiting the idea and with Porsche seeing great success with its Panamera, the 4-door Vette might very well see reality three decades later.

According to a report by Wards Automotive, news of the rebirth of the Corvette America comes from none other than soon-to-retire GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, although its not clear that a 4-door Vette would actually wear the Corvette name. In fact, we’d think such a model would make more sense as a Cadillac, although considering the CTS-V, there might not be enough to differentiate the two.

Creating a 4-door Corvette would also allow Chevy to introduce a higher-volume V6-powered version, an idea it has debated in the past with the 2-door Corvette as a way to attract female buyers and those less interested in the car’s V8 performance and more its stylish good looks.

Aficionados of the car will no doubt have great disdain for the idea, but it may help GM reduce costs, increase profitability and offer a unique product. Would it devalue the Corvette name? Probably not, considering the Panamera doesn’t seem to have hurt the Porsche 911. Would it be hideous? Quite possibly. But again, that hasn’t seem to hamper sales of Porsche’s new 4-door.

[Source: Wards Automotive]

I just saw this on AutoGuide.com - could be very interesting or really stupid to create a 4 passenger Corvette for all of those little kids that can't go with the moms and dads on a road tour or a track day!!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Oh Sh*t
Old 03-16-2010, 07:19 PM
scottsdalevette
Pro

Default Here is where this report got started by the editor of Wards!!

Baby Brother Camaro Bites into Corvette’s Popularity
Steve Finlay March 12th, 2010
The new Chevrolet Camaro makes the Chevy Corvette look bad. At least in sales-column tallies.

Corvette sales plunged last year. OK, virtually all vehicle sales dived into the rocks. The industry was down 21.2%, according to Ward’s data. But Corvette deliveries dropped 48.3%, from 26,971 units in 2008 to 13,934 in 2009. You must go back to 1961 for a worse Corvette sales year.

Last year was hard on the luxury sports car segment in general. Audi TT sales were off 56.9%, Mercedes-Benz SLK sales down 48.1%. But those cars didn’t have a new baby brother named Camaro getting all sorts of attention – and sales. (Left photo: Chevrolet Corvette. Right: Chevy Camaro gets pampered at Detroit auto show.)

The Camaro looks like a sports car but officially falls into a vehicle segment Ward’s calls “middle specialty.” The first model debuted in 1966 to vie with the Ford Mustang. The Mustang proved more popular year after year. General Motors pulled the plug on the Camaro in 2002.

An all-new and vastly improved version reappeared last year to high acclaim because of its good looks, refined driving traits and impressive power. Engine choices include a potent V-8 and a V-6 that is more fuel efficient but still flexes plenty of muscle.

GM delivered 61,648 Camaros in 2009, but not for the full year, because the car only went on sale in the spring. Ford sold 66,623 Mustangs from January to December.

Perhaps GM should worry less about the Camaro outselling the Mustang and more about it biting into its sibiling rival, the Corvette. Website metrics show the Camaro is the Corvette’s most cross-shopped competitor.

During the Camaro’s first go-around, it was dubbed the poor man’s Corvette. The new version is moderately priced: $22,995 for starters and past $30,000 if you opt for the V-8. But the Camaro still costs much less than the Corvette, which starts at $48,900 and reaches $106,880 for the ZR1.

Fact is, the Corvette is an incredible car. And a relative bargain. It’s comparable in driving performance to European sports cars that cost twice as much. The Corvette personifies GM’s brain trust, and plenty of that remains despite hard times.

True lovers of the Corvette will settle for nothing else, no matter how much noise a baby brother makes.

Nor do ultra-orthodox followers of the Corvette brand want to see any spin-offs to boost sales.

A few years back, GM toyed with offering the choice of a V-6 in a Corvette, on the premise that it would lure potential buyers, mainly women, who like how the car looks, yet aren’t big V-8 fans. But the V-6 Corvette plan died the death in Detroit.

Now, retiring GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz hints the auto maker might come out with a 4-door Corvette, although it is not clear if such a high-end Chevrolet sedan would actually be called a Corvette.

In 1980, GM planned on introducing a 4-door “Corvette America.” A contractor built a prototype and five production models. That’s as far as it got.

A 4-door Corvette could draw shoppers who want an icon sports car with more than two seats. But it would offend purists. A Ward’s colleague, Tom Murphy, told me the idea of a 4-door Corvette “turns my stomach.”

I decided not to ask him what he thought about the notion of a Corvette SUV.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 PM
gfunkusarelius
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad i did my part and bought a 2009 vette!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Been mentioned here before, but isn't going to happen.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Please no
Old 03-16-2010, 08:31 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

There will be no 4-door Corvette. Even GM isn't that stupid.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
ryanc440
Pro

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Okay - I'll put on my Devil's Advocate hat and jump into the ring.

If it means the continued success of the brand, then I'm all for it! Most Porsche die-hards decry the Cayenne and Panamera for their lack of race heritage and departure from the essence of Porsche; but all it takes is a quick look at the year end accounting to see that the only reason the 911 had been allowed to thrive and improve the last few years is due to the boatloads of money Porsche makes from Cayenne sales. Something as "ridiculous" as a 4 door Vette or, as much as it would pain me to see, an entry level V6 Vette may just be the very thing that allows the Vette to continue.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM
FIVEPOINTSEVEN
Racer

Originally Posted by ryanc440
Okay - I'll put on my Devil's Advocate hat and jump into the ring.

If it means the continued success of the brand, then I'm all for it! Most Porsche die-hards decry the Cayenne and Panamera for their lack of race heritage and departure from the essence of Porsche; but all it takes is a quick look at the year end accounting to see that the only reason the 911 had been allowed to thrive and improve the last few years is due to the boatloads of money Porsche makes from Cayenne sales. Something as "ridiculous" as a 4 door Vette or, as much as it would pain me to see, an entry level V6 Vette may just be the very thing that allows the Vette to continue.
I agree...Flagships like the Vette in Chevy or the 911 Turbo/GT2/GT3 in the Porsche lineup exist and are supported by the "non race heritage" models like Cayman, Boxster, Cayenne or in the Chevy lineup...Malibu, Monte Carlo, Cobalt. That being said...PLEASE don't dilute the Vette heritage with V6 engines and 4 door mommy mobiles!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

GM has the CTS-V in a 4 door sedan, a soon to be released coupe and some spy's have reported seeing a CTS-V wagon in LA recently.

GM does not need a 4 door vette nor do they have the $$$ to pull this off. Let Cadilliac fight this battle with their V series.

Tom
Old 03-16-2010, 08:54 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I would buy it!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

This has been done on the forum several times in the past month or so. His comments are taken way out of text. What he's talking about is bringing in what was the Pontiac G8 GXP. And he does not mean making it a Corvette.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM
mgtr
Pro

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
GM has the CTS-V in a 4 door sedan, a soon to be released coupe and some spy's have reported seeing a CTS-V wagon in LA recently.

GM does not need a 4 door vette nor do they have the $$$ to pull this off. Let Cadilliac fight this battle with their V series.

Tom
Or, if Chevy needs a car, make a four door Camaro.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Originally Posted by scottsdalevette

True lovers of the Corvette will settle for nothing else, no matter how much noise a baby brother makes.

Reminds me of those C6/Cobalt commercials.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Based somewhat on the Corvette platform, but not even called a Corvette. What harm would that cause?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:08 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Hands off the mouse and step back from the computer. This is how false rumors start. When Lutz made the reference to a 4 door vette, he was refering to the G8 GTP, just pounding the pooch.

Get notified of new replies

To Report: Chevy Considering 4-Door Corvette to Compete With Panamera

Old 03-16-2010, 09:14 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no problem with it if it means I'll have the opportunity to buy a C7Z06, C8Z06, ....
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by scottsdalevette
Back in 1980, General Motors toyed with the idea of producing a 4-door Corvette America. A prototype was built but the project was later dropped. As absurd as the concept sounds, GM now appears to be revisiting the idea and with Porsche seeing great success with its Panamera, the 4-door Vette might very well see reality three decades later.

According to a report by Wards Automotive, news of the rebirth of the Corvette America comes from none other than soon-to-retire GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, although its not clear that a 4-door Vette would actually wear the Corvette name. In fact, we’d think such a model would make more sense as a Cadillac, although considering the CTS-V, there might not be enough to differentiate the two.

Creating a 4-door Corvette would also allow Chevy to introduce a higher-volume V6-powered version, an idea it has debated in the past with the 2-door Corvette as a way to attract female buyers and those less interested in the car’s V8 performance and more its stylish good looks.

Aficionados of the car will no doubt have great disdain for the idea, but it may help GM reduce costs, increase profitability and offer a unique product. Would it devalue the Corvette name? Probably not, considering the Panamera doesn’t seem to have hurt the Porsche 911. Would it be hideous? Quite possibly. But again, that hasn’t seem to hamper sales of Porsche’s new 4-door.

[Source: Wards Automotive]

I just saw this on AutoGuide.com - could be very interesting or really stupid to create a 4 passenger Corvette for all of those little kids that can't go with the moms and dads on a road tour or a track day!!!!
They did this in 1963 as well look up some old GM archives.
z51vett
Old 03-16-2010, 09:53 PM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Think this was referring to the G8 GTP not actually making a four door Corvette.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Report: Chevy Considering 4-Door Corvette to Compete With Panamera