C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Problems Should I Expect If I Lower My C6?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Tahoe Dave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Problems Should I Expect If I Lower My C6?

I have noticed, on this forum, some pictures of lowered C6's and they look great. I have been "toying" with the idea of doing this However, I am sure it comes at a price. For example, will the ride be seriously compromised? Additionally, could I run into a problem with my extended warranty?

I am aware that clearance will be a new challenge and a I would have to be (even more) careful in driveways and similar situations.

I would appreciate some input as I don't want to regret this mod
Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You will hit thing and break chit.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Tahoe Dave
Racer

Originally Posted by EDinPA
You will hit thing and break chit.
Well, on to my next mod
Old 03-28-2010, 11:29 PM
djdinoe
Pro

While heading into or out of curbs/driveways/speed bumps, just turn at an angle and you'll be fine.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 AM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you hate speed bumps now.....you are really gonna hate them when you lower the Vette.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Looks good yes but you will lose suspension travel and bottom out on dips in hwy. Geez these cars a low already. Ya I know all about the wheel gap under fender. I lowered mine and it is back up to within 1/4 in of stock spec. Some get along ok I guess I did not like the scrapping.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I wouldn't think about lowering mine. "It's low enough already"!! You have to be really careful or you will have the lower front end bitched up. I sometimes take my C4 to unknown destinations, because of the C6's low clearence.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 AM
iridelow
Safety Car

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Lower it on the stock bolts and you will be fine. If your not happy, just put it back up! 30 minute job that will cost you nothing. Mine is lowered a little and I am used to taking angles in parking lots anyway. My last C6 was lowered and i was so used to driving it that way that even before I lowered my current vette, I treated it as if it was lowered!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:23 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After lowering mine on stock bolts I added rocker protection rails. After 3 years there's been no damage but I do have scraps on the bottom of the rocker protection rails.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Lowered mine this past weekend and installed a new set of Bilsteins while i was at it, made it easier to lower as I was able to get a stronger socket and ratchet on the lowering bolts with the shock out of the way.

After lowering all the way on the stock bolts I had to cut the rear bushings on the bottom of the stock bolts to get the look I was after.

All in all an easy fun job and the car looks great and drives great

I will align it in a week or so.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:29 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Women will flock to your jock like never before. And all the non lowered Vette guys will be very jealous. Of course some don't look at that as a problem.

Seriously, watch what you drive over because it's a little lower. I didn't notice any change in handling.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

You will CONSTANTLY scruff the front air dams. Loudly. They are plastic and cheap to replace, and surprisingly tough. I've put on 30K miles this way, they scrape probably 4-10 times a day, and they are still hanging in there just fine! I'll replace them sometime, when they need it. Only like $100 for all three.

I personally found the car more stable at high speeds, likely cause it lets less air under the car.

Handling is logically slightly improved, from the lower center of gravity, but I don't know that it is THAT big a difference.

One interesting weirdness I found, I have Bilstein Sports, and when they are really cold they sit really down. One sub-freezing morning, I started to work and the car was scruffing on every little ripple in the road, every second or two. After a few miles the shocks had worked enough to warm up, and they quit that. But that was getting REAL low. And it has to be REALLY cold to get it going that way.

Having only an inch or so between the dams and the ground DOES look good!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is lowered and it looks better, the ride I don't know about, I bought this way. I have not broken anything, I have a few scrapes, none of which are a big deal. My only complaint is I am getting older and it is just a little harder to get out of. Don't tell my wife I said that.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:03 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by designerRob
Women will flock to your jock like never before. And all the non lowered Vette guys will be very jealous. Of course some don't look at that as a problem.

Seriously, watch what you drive over because it's a little lower. I didn't notice any change in handling.
lmao... I was about to post something to this effect...

Seriously though... it looks awesome with the front and rear lowered on stock bolts all the way... just cut your rear spacers out.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Scraping - poor wheel alignment - no snow clearance - head lights thru the back window .
Old 03-30-2010, 07:08 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by orca1946
Scraping - poor wheel alignment - no snow clearance - head lights thru the back window .
Old 03-30-2010, 07:38 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Lowered mine this past weekend and installed a new set of Bilsteins while i was at it, made it easier to lower as I was able to get a stronger socket and ratchet on the lowering bolts with the shock out of the way.

After lowering all the way on the stock bolts I had to cut the rear bushings on the bottom of the stock bolts to get the look I was after.

All in all an easy fun job and the car looks great and drives great

I will align it in a week or so.
You better align that puppy or you will be buying tires...
Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 PM
djdinoe
Pro

Also, don't use those cheap lowering bolts that the vendors sells. Just cut one rib off each rear bolts and that should do the trick. The fronts could be lowered on stock bolts without any modification. That should cover up those hideous wheel gaps.

Get notified of new replies

To What Problems Should I Expect If I Lower My C6?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Problems Should I Expect If I Lower My C6?