C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more burnouts for you: "GM to Expand Brake Override Software Globally by 2012"

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

For drag racing or burnouts, I believe you are still good to go with the Manual and for the Auto there is Line Lock that should work.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

No concern for me. Never burn out. Not since I was 16, well maybe 17. Actually last time was in my 65 tri power GTO hitting second gear and blowing the rear end. Never did drive that car again.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by lawnmore
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Of course if Toyota's problem was fake NASA probably wouldn't be helping them solve their problem now at the US taxpayers' expense. Toyota also would not have shaved the bottom of the gas pedal if they believed it was fake only for the same problem to remain. Some people are idiots enough to try to beat the system though not realizing that cars these days will tell you what the throttle/brake inputs are before a crash.
I don't know about that...since Obama cancelled many of NASA's actual space exploration programs (ending America's dominance in space exploration and causing the expected loss of 7,000 jobs), I'm sure NASA is looking for something to do.

Originally Posted by msp1055
I know this has been said before, but what type of IDIOT can not put the car in neutral or even turn the key off. If this is implemented someone will make a overide just like the skipshift over ride.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
I bet Competition Mode overrides this.....
Not sure, but I suspect you're right.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake override is nothing new, you can thank Audi for it.... I believe all your German cars have it and maybe any vehicle sold in Europe.

This is how it works, and you can still do burnouts....

In case your accelerator pedal is stuck, all you have to do is press the brake, the ECM over rides the accelerator input and the engine returns to idle mainly so the engine can produce vacuum for the brakes, "AS LONG AS YOU DON'T" take pressure from the brake pedal and it does not see any fluctuation in accelerator input, meaning if you put your left foot on the brake and pump the accelerator with your right it will accelerate. You can still do your burnout, plus the override usually does not activate until around 20 mph or so......
Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Shawn S
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Auto tranny slushbox cars only.....So it will never be on a Corvette that I own.

Shift it yourself or you're just a passenger along for the ride.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:04 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Seems like this is only for an automatic... Whew, I am glad I got an MN6

EDIT: I agree with the above post!!!!

Last edited by pTr73; 04-12-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:40 AM
silvervettesyco
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Actually the press release says GM has been installing this system on high power cars like the Corvette.

"GM plans to install the software for the system in the electronic throttle control systems of newly manufactured vehicles. The automaker already used it in several models in the United States, mostly high horsepower vehicles like the Chevy Corvette."

So it looks like it won't hurt the burnout business any.

Bill
it is launch control there talking about!!! Already in 2010's
Old 04-12-2010, 02:30 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, burnout's are stupid. Yeah, they were "cool" back when I was 15 years old. But to me, a cars power is demonstrated in other ways, not by how easy it is to incinerate a pair of $500 tires.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LBear
IMHO, burnout's are stupid. Yeah, they were "cool" back when I was 15 years old. But to me, a cars power is demonstrated in other ways, not by how easy it is to incinerate a pair of $500 tires.

I agree if you are just doing it to try and look cool, but burnouts have a purpose before a dragrace, to heat the tires up for better grip.

And that is $1000 in tires since each rear wheel costs $500 each!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:49 AM
viper62
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Not saying floormats don't ever get in the way of gas pedals. What I *am* calling BS on is the 'victims' contention that the acceleration continued relatively unabated, no matter how hard they stepped on the 'brake'. THAT part is total

It's easy to demonstrate. Get any toyota. Drop a brick on the gas pedal, and the car will *still* stop when you press on the brake. The victims' contention that the car somehow gains supernatural horsepower and becomes 'unstoppable' during these events is laughable. ("However, anecdotal evidence from some Toyota owners who experienced "runaway" acceleration indicate that even brakes cannot stop the car")

NASA wasn't called in to develop a solution for the issue -- it was called upon to try to determine how the problem might be possible *at all*, and if some bizzarre software glitch might be a contributory factor in causing the impossible-to-replicate problem.
Tell that to the family that was kill in their Lexes. The driver was a police officer and could not stop the car. It finally crashed and kill the occupants. The brakes where completely used up and smoking. This problem was first reported overseas and has been documented in several countries. We are just finding out about it now.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:50 AM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by viper62
Tell that to the family that was kill in their Lexes. The driver was a police officer and could not stop the car. It finally crashed and kill the occupants. The brakes where completely used up and smoking. This problem was first reported overseas and has been documented in several countries. We are just finding out about it now.
That's more than likely because he was tentative about it and rode the brakes continuously until they were burned up and useless....If you flat STAND on the brakes ONCE in a modern car with the accelerator pinned, you WILL decelerate. once you get to a slow enough speed (say 10-20 mph), either kill the engine (and prepare for the loss of power steering assist) or gently put the car against the barrier if available.

The fact that he's a police officer, perhaps SHOULD say something about his level of common sense, but it clearly does not. This is a guy who had the time to call 911 and explain the situation he was in but could not think and/or figure out how to take the car out of gear before crashing.

You make it sound like the car had a mind of its own and thwarted every attempt by a trained professional to stop it.

In reality what happened was a simple malfunction that, while dangerous, can be escaped if you fight the urge to panic and think logically.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Tragic but preventable.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:33 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSB LS3
You make it sound like the car had a mind of its own and thwarted every attempt by a trained professional to stop it.
I don't disagree with your post. However, I will take a wait an see on this particular issue with Toyota only because from what I hear, the ignition, accelerator, and gear selector in that car are all controlled electronically (not just Toyota) and not mechanically as we may have always been accustomed too. I have had computers, and other electronic devices throughout the years that seem to have a mind of their own.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:46 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyC6
I don't disagree with your post. However, I will take a wait an see on this particular issue with Toyota only because from what I hear, the ignition, accelerator, and gear selector in that car are all controlled electronically (not just Toyota) and not mechanically as we may have always been accustomed too. I have had computers, and other electronic devices throughout the years that seem to have a mind of their own.

I haven't heard anything about the gear selector being electronic, but yes that would certainly add a twist to the whole situation.

I can understand being unable to turn off the ignition (usually you have to hold keyless ignition switches for a couple seconds to "prove" you want to turn the engine off) but I'll be damned if I'm going to "suggest" to a computer that my car come out of a forward gear and into neutral and then let it decide whether or not it wants to obey me.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:46 PM
viper62
Instructor

The driver did not make the 911 call. One of the passengers did. And according to the report I read they tried to shut it down and shift to neutral and neither would work.

As I said before this problem was reported to other countries over a year ago and only recently has been reported in the US. This is not a US specific issue.

This from: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7011671.ece

Toyota, the Japanese motor manufacturer that is recalling millions of defective cars around the world, knew in the UK a year ago that accelerator pedals in its cars were jamming.

The admission came amid reports in Canada that class-action lawsuits have been launched against Toyota, demanding compensation for injuries sustained by out-of-control cars.

Get notified of new replies

To No more burnouts for you: "GM to Expand Brake Override Software Globally by 2012"

Old 04-12-2010, 06:01 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

God this thread is going off the deep end quick I could care less about the politics of it...

I bet you the aftermarket tuners (LSX software) can override this, you can turn off or "tune out" just about everything else anyway.... no reason to cry "sky is falling sky is falling"

I normally buy manual 6 speed cars anyways
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 AM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

This can't be good for "heel and toeing" either!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by viper62
The braking system in any car, hi-performance or not are supposed to be designed to overpower an engine. Pin the throttle and brake simultaneously and the car will start slowing down or at least not gain anymore speed. If not then dont buy that car.

Quick Reply: No more burnouts for you: "GM to Expand Brake Override Software Globally by 2012"