C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more burnouts for you: "GM to Expand Brake Override Software Globally by 2012"

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:19 PM
scottsdalevette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No more burnouts for you: "GM to Expand Brake Override Software Globally by 2012"

From GM Media:
GM to Expand Brake Override Software Globally by 2012
2010-04-05

DETROIT – General Motors will expand use of "enhanced smart pedal" technology globally to all passenger cars with automatic transmissions and electronic throttle control, providing an additional safeguard to enhance customer confidence.

Also known as brake override, the change involves modifying existing electronic controls to reduce power to the engine in cases where the brake and accelerator pedal are being depressed at the same time. The global rollout will be completed by the end of 2012.

GM has had for the past several years a braking performance standard that applies to all cars, trucks and crossovers, requiring that the brakes can stop the vehicle within a specific distance. So brake override is an additional safeguard.

"News media analyses of government data consistently validates that GM's safety record on this issue is among the strongest in the industry," said Tom Stephens, vice chairman, GM Global Product Operations. "At the same time, we know safety is top of mind for consumers, so we are applying additional technology to reassure them that they can count on the brakes in their GM vehicle."

The rollout plan balances the speed of implementation with validation needed to assure that customers feel no deterioration in drivability.

So anybody buying a new Corvette in 2012 will probably be very unhappy trying to do a burnout to impress the neighborhood kids!! Thanks alot Toyota.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:25 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

MAZDA is doing this too and it's got the same name!There are other cars already out here where the brakes override the gas pedal.Hyundai is one of the manufacturers that have this.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Just fallout from the hysteria surrounding the ficticious 'runaway car' phenomena, caused by people pressing the gas when they think they are pressing the brake, and then seeing their ticket to Easy Street by playing the Lawsuit Lottery.

Don't thank Toyota -- thank the out-of-control USA Legal system that rewards such greedy behavior by lazy plaintiffs and ambulance-chasing lawyers.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I guess that means whoever is selling line locks is about to see an increase in buisness,
Old 04-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by scottsdalevette
So anybody buying a new Corvette in 2012 will probably be very unhappy trying to do a burnout to impress the neighborhood kids!! Thanks alot Toyota.
Actually the press release says GM has been installing this system on high power cars like the Corvette.

"GM plans to install the software for the system in the electronic throttle control systems of newly manufactured vehicles. The automaker already used it in several models in the United States, mostly high horsepower vehicles like the Chevy Corvette."

So it looks like it won't hurt the burnout business any.

Bill
Old 04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

...So it looks like it won't hurt the burnout business any.

Bill
Zero net effect on any Vettes that I've ever seen!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Just fallout from the hysteria surrounding the ficticious 'runaway car' phenomena, caused by people pressing the gas when they think they are pressing the brake, and then seeing their ticket to Easy Street by playing the Lawsuit Lottery.

Don't thank Toyota -- thank the out-of-control USA Legal system that rewards such greedy behavior by lazy plaintiffs and ambulance-chasing lawyers.
Of course if Toyota's problem was fake NASA probably wouldn't be helping them solve their problem now at the US taxpayers' expense. Toyota also would not have shaved the bottom of the gas pedal if they believed it was fake only for the same problem to remain. Some people are idiots enough to try to beat the system though not realizing that cars these days will tell you what the throttle/brake inputs are before a crash.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bet Competition Mode overrides this.....
Old 04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
GonzoTheGreat
Advanced

I "kind of" tested this, brake on rev to 3.5k and feather/drop the clutch, i never felt any power loss. This is on a 2008 Z51.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Of course if Toyota's problem was fake NASA probably wouldn't be helping them solve their problem now at the US taxpayers' expense. Toyota also would not have shaved the bottom of the gas pedal if they believed it was fake only for the same problem to remain. Some people are idiots enough to try to beat the system though not realizing that cars these days will tell you what the throttle/brake inputs are before a crash.
Not saying floormats don't ever get in the way of gas pedals. What I *am* calling BS on is the 'victims' contention that the acceleration continued relatively unabated, no matter how hard they stepped on the 'brake'. THAT part is total

It's easy to demonstrate. Get any toyota. Drop a brick on the gas pedal, and the car will *still* stop when you press on the brake. The victims' contention that the car somehow gains supernatural horsepower and becomes 'unstoppable' during these events is laughable. ("However, anecdotal evidence from some Toyota owners who experienced "runaway" acceleration indicate that even brakes cannot stop the car")

NASA wasn't called in to develop a solution for the issue -- it was called upon to try to determine how the problem might be possible *at all*, and if some bizzarre software glitch might be a contributory factor in causing the impossible-to-replicate problem.

Last edited by Kent1999; 04-06-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:36 AM
msp1055
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this has been said before, but what type of IDIOT can not put the car in neutral or even turn the key off. If this is implemented someone will make a overide just like the skipshift over ride.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:56 AM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by scottsdalevette
]So anybody buying a new Corvette in 2012 will probably be very unhappy trying to do a burnout to impress the neighborhood kids!!
Thanks alot Toyota.
Nissan and BMW had it before Toyota. GM is just following this safety feature. I wouldnt thank Toyota for it.

Last edited by DJackman; 04-06-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:04 AM
spin-doktor
Drifting

"to assure that customers feel no deterioration in drivability"

I would definitively feel a deterioration in driveability if my vette had that junkware.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 AM
lawnmore
Racer

Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only for auto trans, go buy a manual

any feature can be bypassed, like nav, airbag sensors, seatbelt, etc
Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Restroom
Instructor

I don't do burnouts. Tires cost enough as it is!
However, it'll probably make launching an A6 an interesting experience, if in fact it works like we hope it doesn't.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Just press that little button on our console that disables the traction control and puts the car in competition mode, smokes the tires all the time. Another benefit is this will help stimulate the economy, because your going to need new tires real soon at $500 each. LOL

Get notified of new replies

To No more burnouts for you: "GM to Expand Brake Override Software Globally by 2012"

Old 04-06-2010, 08:04 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
I "kind of" tested this, brake on rev to 3.5k and feather/drop the clutch, i never felt any power loss. This is on a 2008 Z51.
Probably worked because it wasn't an automatic.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 AM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power stands are out ... Just don't use two pedals LOL...:c razy:
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Flies Lo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this will affect left foot braking into a corner, like Turn One at Mid-Ohio...I used to do that with my Brand P race car...then my next two from the same manufacturer had what they called E-Gas, their drive-by-wire throttles...this system had programmed into it the same thing GM is planning, where the throttle is cut electronically if the throttle and brakes are applied simultaneously...it sucked that I couldn't balance the car under maintainence throttle anymore...

If GM keeps it off the manual transmission cars, then that will be good...I'm looking forward to using the old technique with a GS sometime in the near future!

Quick Reply: No more burnouts for you: "GM to Expand Brake Override Software Globally by 2012"