C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Avery Nano Fusion protective film?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 AM
SilverBullitt
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Well, I'm going to give this stuff a shot. I made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon to get the bumper and mirrors done. I'm going to hold off on the hood for now. I'm just not sure I can tolerate the line across the hood, and I don't want to pay the $$$ it costs to cover the whole hood. On my previous Vettes, the bumper was where I got all the real damage anyway, so this should help with the majority of issues.

The installer is supposed to be really good, and that seems to be more important for these installs than the actual product. He has used 3M and XPEL film in the past (and still would, if I asked him for it), but he thinks this Nano Fusion stuff is better than anything else out there right now for looks, durability, and protection. We'll see, I guess. I'll post up some pics when the job is done.
The following users liked this post:
Catlover (12-12-2017)
Old 04-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Speed 2000
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by longdaddy
ask installer if it is resistant to scratching and how easy it is to polish out the scratches. i bought into the whole venture shield hype when I wanted to cover up the hood. 3 years later, there are many scratches and scuffs on the film that will not polish out comletely, while 3M film that is half a year older, looks like it did originally (orange peel and all) minus the tears from rock hits.
Did the Venture have tears like the 3M or just all scratched up?

FYI, minor scratches can sometimes be removed with a heat gun, it sorta melts the film back into the scratch. Problem is most people don't know this and try something else that makes things worse and then its un-fixable with heat.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:23 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I attended SEMA last October in vegas and they were demonstrating with this stuff. I was impressed with it and they took a ball point pen with a sheet of it and tried to put a hole through it. the pen did not penetrate the material.

It seemed pretty easy to install and you can relift the material to adjust it until it has set up. Even after setup you can remove it without damage to paint. I was impressed but i have not installed it on my z06 yet.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed 2000
Did the Venture have tears like the 3M or just all scratched up?

FYI, minor scratches can sometimes be removed with a heat gun, it sorta melts the film back into the scratch. Problem is most people don't know this and try something else that makes things worse and then its un-fixable with heat.
yeah, the areas that get hit the most eventually get rocks that tear the film through, either material.

no, i did not use the heat gun, wouldn't it affect the adhesive underneath?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Speed 2000
Intermediate

Not if you're careful but if you get it too hot it can melt right through. Just pass the heat gun ( or hand held hair dryer ) back and forth until you start to see the line closing up. The new Avery can also be done this way but this will only work on minor scratches. The big ones would have probably left a mark in the paint so at least the film did its job at that point.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 PM
tonyasc6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBullitt
Well, I'm going to give this stuff a shot. I made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon to get the bumper and mirrors done. I'm going to hold off on the hood for now. I'm just not sure I can tolerate the line across the hood, and I don't want to pay the $$$ it costs to cover the whole hood. On my previous Vettes, the bumper was where I got all the real damage anyway, so this should help with the majority of issues.

The installer is supposed to be really good, and that seems to be more important for these installs than the actual product. He has used 3M and XPEL film in the past (and still would, if I asked him for it), but he thinks this Nano Fusion stuff is better than anything else out there right now for looks, durability, and protection. We'll see, I guess. I'll post up some pics when the job is done.
we need pics..LOL
Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 AM
TonyTM2
2nd Gear

Default New Product Has Only Been Out For 4 months

There are a number of great installers out there using a variety of products. We are a rather large installation company that has experience with just about every brand on the market. We are currently staying away from the new product from Avery until it has some kind of track record. I say this because we had warranty claims for over 25,000 vehicles with the old Avery T6 product. Avery would not honnor a single warranty. Nobody seems to know if the new product is OEM approved. We have tested the product and I will admit it looks great but we have no idea how well it will hold up under real conditions. All products seem to do well under lab condtions but not all hold up well under real environmental conditions. It generally takes about 3 years in the field to get real data from a product. I would be interested to know how well the Avery product is holding up from anybody that is curently using it.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Speed 2000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TonyTM2
I say this because we had warranty claims for over 25,000 vehicles with the old Avery T6 product. Avery would not honnor a single warranty.
The Avery Top Coat has been out for about 5 years, 25,000 cars works out to about over 13 cars a day, seven days a week. Did they go bad all at once or did you guys keep using it even after you started having issues? What kind of problem was it?

Sounds a bit odd to me since I've been using the top coat product since it was introduced and only had a handful of issues, and most all of them were customer neglect or improper care of the film. All true warranty issues I've had were covered no questions asked and new film overnighted. Nobody warrants film (or any other product for that matter) if the customer screwed it up.

Also, I've had the new Nano film on my car since November and it still looks perfect, no bug splat/bird crap stains, no acid rain spots.

Last edited by Speed 2000; 05-14-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 PM
AKC_C6
Instructor

Also, the price for my front bumper, mirrors, and 18" up the hood (including fender tips) is $825, which sounds like a lot of $$ to me. Is this the going rate for this kind of install?
I spent a lot of time researching this topic and ultimately I decided against getting it done on my C6. I couldnt justify spending the $1K... Especially since it would cost me apprx half as much to just get the bumper sanded down and repainted if it ever needs it.

Either way, good luck with it and dont forget to report back on how you like the Avery nano.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:58 PM
TonyTM2
2nd Gear

Default Nano Response

Hi Speed, We install far more than 13 vehicles a day, we are a large operation with multiple national locations. The majority of issues were all in the northeast where polution seems to be an issue. The film would discolor and turn alomost black on the vehicle. I'm referring to the T6 not the new nano product. Other locations in the US did not experience the same issues. We now test all our film products for a minimum 2 years on rental vehicles before using anything on customer vehicles. My objective is not to bash Avery but to find out how well the new Nano holds up.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

I had Haartz Defenz All installed on mine. I'm not too happy with it. I know it protects it, but I cant' stand the tack lines, and its orange peel is too much imo.

I plan on leaving it on until I move in 2 months, and then taking it off :meh:
Old 05-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Speed 2000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TonyTM2
Hi Speed, We install far more than 13 vehicles a day, we are a large operation with multiple national locations. The majority of issues were all in the northeast where polution seems to be an issue. The film would discolor and turn alomost black on the vehicle. I'm referring to the T6 not the new nano product. Other locations in the US did not experience the same issues. We now test all our film products for a minimum 2 years on rental vehicles before using anything on customer vehicles. My objective is not to bash Avery but to find out how well the new Nano holds up.
I've never read any manufacturer's warranty that will cover what's know as "industrial fallout", acts of God, or terrorism. Most go something like this:

"Acme Films warrants to the original purchaser that.... the film will not crack, peel, or change colors under normal driving conditions from sand, salt, stones, bugs, abrasions or ultraviolet rays from the sun. The warranty does not apply to any damage caused by abuse, misuse, accident, NEGLECT, modification or competition. The warranty shall only apply when the product is installed by an authorized Acme dealer....AND maintained in accordance with recommended care instructions."

Its up to the installing company to inform the customer how to properly maintain the product. I can't stand over every car with an umbrella so each job gets a warrany/care instruction card with over a dozen dos and don'ts for maintaining the product's appearance, along with a bottle of specifically made cleaner/polish.

Unfortunately, in most cases, the film manufacturers that do honor a warranty claim only offer enough film to replace the defective product. How smart would it be to put the same thing back on the car and expect different results? A good businessman knows he may have to replace the product someday with something else entirely and covers his bases by factoring that into the price structure. This is one difference between a $395 install and an $700 one.

Back to the new Nano film. You bring up a good point about personally testing the product before jumping in with both feet. Avery has almost 3 years of actual real world testing (on cars, not some test panel in the middle of an Iowa corn field) with this product.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Found this thread when I was googling the product. I decided to go with Avery Nano Fusion and I'm having it installed on my 08 C6 tomorrow.

I had venture shield on the car. Good product but it is too easy to scratch and feels rubbery. A road gator took out my bumper so I start looking for other options. I considered Speed Lingerie but I wasn't too crazy about how it matches Atomic Orange. The deal they are giving me is about $600 for bumper, 18 inches up hood/fenders, mirrors.

I must say VS was easy to remove. I just pulled up on a corner and took it off. Took me about 15 min to remove it off the hood, fenders and mirrors. Very little adhesive to remove. I'll post some pics tomorrow if I stay with the deal. Installer seems to deal with a lot of aftermarket auto products, has nano and 3M for the clear bras. 3M seems to be affected by yellowing, had it on another vehicle and within 3 years it was garbage. Vehicle was totaled but it looked like junk on front of the Trailblazer. VS looked fine after two years besides the minor scratches.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 PM
seex
2nd Gear

Default We mainly use 3M and nano fusion.....

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Found this thread when I was googling the product. I decided to go with Avery Nano Fusion and I'm having it installed on my 08 C6 tomorrow.

I had venture shield on the car. Good product but it is too easy to scratch and feels rubbery. A road gator took out my bumper so I start looking for other options. I considered Speed Lingerie but I wasn't too crazy about how it matches Atomic Orange. The deal they are giving me is about $600 for bumper, 18 inches up hood/fenders, mirrors.

I must say VS was easy to remove. I just pulled up on a corner and took it off. Took me about 15 min to remove it off the hood, fenders and mirrors. Very little adhesive to remove. I'll post some pics tomorrow if I stay with the deal. Installer seems to deal with a lot of aftermarket auto products, has nano and 3M for the clear bras. 3M seems to be affected by yellowing, had it on another vehicle and within 3 years it was garbage. Vehicle was totaled but it looked like junk on front of the Trailblazer. VS looked fine after two years besides the minor scratches.
[br]
VS warranty is only for the film only(makes you wonder why?). 3m and Nano will warranty for part and labor. I have handled too many films to go with one that won't reimburse the installer for labor. Nano Fusion features does have a VERY good potential to redefine the paint protection film industry; I've been doing custom installation for over 10yrs, so I'm speaking from experience. For now I prefer to use black and white cars with Nano, the rest with 3M. This is because of the yellowing issue with 3M, and 'perfection' requirement on black cars.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:14 PM
seex
2nd Gear

Default Yes, old avery film was a problem....

The Avery Top Coat has been out for about 5 years, 25,000 cars works out to about over 13 cars a day, seven days a week. Did they go bad all at once or did you guys keep using it even after you started having issues? What kind of problem was it?

Sounds a bit odd to me since I've been using the top coat product since it was introduced and only had a handful of issues, and most all of them were customer neglect or improper care of the film. All true warranty issues I've had were covered no questions asked and new film overnighted. Nobody warrants film (or any other product for that matter) if the customer screwed it up.

Also, I've had the new Nano film on my car since November and it still looks perfect, no bug splat/bird crap stains, no acid rain spots.
[br]
Like you, I realized " most all of them were customer neglect or improper care of the film". 25,000 pissed off customers? With only a hand full of very unhappy PPF(paint protection film) customers, I would rather be in another business. Those who has been around installing knows PPF customers are 'perfectionist' minded otherwise they would be fine with stone chips. PPF is a great investment for exotics like ferrari, lambo, etc., because the cost in getting PPF is cheaper than the amount of the car devalues after a repaint.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Bare
2nd Gear

I'm talking to a protective film installer about putting some film on the front of my Z06. He was recommended by someone here on the forum who say he does an excellent install job. He uses a film product that I've not heard anything about, so I'm hoping some of you might have seen or used it. It is called Avery Nano Fusion. He says that it is much more stain resistant than other films to bird and tree droppings, and that it also has much less orange peel than 3M or XPEL. Do any of you know anything about this product?

Also, the price for my front bumper, mirrors, and 18" up the hood (including fender tips) is $825, which sounds like a lot of $$ to me. Is this the going rate for this kind of install?
ANF is a great product had my black C6 done exactly as you describe for $650.00 in Charlotte NC.
Bare
Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

My installer was a pain, couldn't get the hood down with out a lot of bubbles and dirt under the film. IMO the AFN film shows lines better than the VS, but the VS scratches easily. I just had them put it on the bumper/mirrors in the end.

On cars that have the whole front end covered there seems to be a difference in color shade between the paint/film. IMO the Porsche's paint above looks different between the hood/fender and door/a pillar.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Catlover
3rd Gear

Default Chips?

I install paint protection for a living and this nano film is beautiful. While there are other great looking products out there, this stuff is different. It feels like paint and is very hard and slick where other films feel more rubbery. You can write on it with a marker and it wipes off... which bodes well for fending off bug guts and acid rain.

The first word out of nearly every customer's mouth is WOW! If you've found a good installer that has some, you are lucky. I've had more compliments on this film in the last five months than in the previous nine and a half years.

Super shine and slick as glass. Sorry no Vette pix with the new film but here's a few shots anyway,

How is it for chip resistance?

What about chip and stone resistance. How does it fare with those road hazards?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Jn499
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

For what its worth I have used SunTek and XPEL. Both of those companies main product focus is paint protection film unlike 3M where they are all over the market with different products. I recommend XPEL as my number one choice. Great product and even better customer service for what thats worth. To me it speaks volumes when you can speak with a human who will answer any question you may have. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Catlover (12-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Opinions on Avery Nano Fusion protective film?