C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Navigation Display Outage

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:12 PM
hillvette
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 Navigation Display Outage

Has anyone had trouble with the nav display? I have now had two radios replaced on my '09 because the screens intermittently would not come on. With the first failure, I could still change radio channels by touching the black screen. With the second one, there was no display and no touch operation. The next day, the screen would come on and work just fine.

Is there an aftermarket replacement for the radio/nav/HUD?
The following users liked this post:
that was me (09-11-2015)
Old 04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Two different GM NAV systems with the same issues are unlikely. It's possible the car's electrical wiring in that area needs to be examined.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:33 PM
rjward
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ahve had that happen in my 05 every few months. its annoying but I have found if you just pull the fuse out and put it back in then it starts workign again immediately....
Old 04-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
Two different GM NAV systems with the same issues are unlikely. It's possible the car's electrical wiring in that area needs to be examined.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our 2006 w/ nav had no problems except twice on one nice day, the screen wouldn't come on after starting the car. After that it worked fine for about 30k miles until we sold it.

Our 2009 w/ nav has the black screen when I start with car temp below about freezing, happened several times last winter. Fine in summer. If it's the same next winter, I'll go for a warranty replacement.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

We have a 2007 coupe. Our navigation screen has been dark twice. Both times it returned to normal operation after restarting the car. We reported it to the dealer, but of course it has never failed while in the shop.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Snagle
We have a 2007 coupe. Our navigation screen has been dark twice. Both times it returned to normal operation after restarting the car. We reported it to the dealer, but of course it has never failed while in the shop.
Hello,

I apologize that you are experiencing trouble with your system. I see that you have taken it to the dealership with no resolution. I am going to send you a private message for more information.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello,

I apologize that you are experiencing trouble with your system. I see that you have taken it to the dealership with no resolution. I am going to send you a private message for more information.

Geoff Allen
Very cool.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Epic_C6
Pro

I had an 05 C6 with nav that has this same issue. Sometimes after storing the car for a few weeks or months when I go to start it the first few times my nav screen would be completely blank. I would shut the car off and start it agian and it would work fine. It did it 4-8 times and has always came on as soon as I restarted the car. Not sure what the problem was but never really became a big deal because it happened so rarely. I have an 08 with nav now with no problems so far.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:02 PM
G00SEiv
Pro

My 09 occassionally does this... It can get very annoying.

The screen is completely black, you can still hear music and touch the blank screen. Touching the screen will activate the normal commands. I find that this happens if the car sits for an extended period of time, and the screen has always came back on after a few cycles of turning the car off and on.

If it continues I will get the unit replace. My front left Bose speaker is already shot and I had to have that ordered and the dealer has to replace it.... I have 4500 miles on the car, and am already having some stereo issues.... I hope it doesn't continue.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 PM
BP09
Cruising

I found this on the Corvette Mechanic forum:

There is an update programming disc for all 2007-2009 Corvette with navigation radios.

Blank screen syndrome is one of the issues that this programming update covers.

Check with your dealership to see if they have the update disc, it is NOT ESSENTIAL and isnt shipped unless needed.

The disc part number is 20906717
Old 04-28-2010, 03:06 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello,

Geoff Allen
Good of you to respond. Who says Chev doesn't care about us?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:22 PM
JFKLS3
Racer

My nav radio was locked up today for the 1st time ever on the Agree screen. Every button on the radio including the screen was unresponsive. No sound either. I turned the car off and upon restart it functioned normally. I hope this is not going to be a recurring problem, I only have 5 months left on the warranty.....
Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JFKLS3
My nav radio was locked up today for the 1st time ever on the Agree screen. Every button on the radio including the screen was unresponsive. No sound either. I turned the car off and upon restart it functioned normally. I hope this is not going to be a recurring problem, I only have 5 months left on the warranty.....
I suggest you let your dealer know and have it documented that there is an intermittant problem.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

If it's not wiring, then I would strongly suspect a problem with the unit's firmware. To be more specific, I would suspect an initialization timing loop that's not long enough to allow some critical voltage to stabilize before moving on. I'd pursue BP09's suggestion to get a firmware update from your dealer.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by JFKLS3
I would like to reinforce RUBYREDVET's statement. If you are concerned that about the possibility that is may be a recurring issue once your out of warranty I would definitely go into the dealer to have your concern documented.

-Jared Duane
Chevy Customer Service
Old 04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been having the same problem with my 2009 coupe occasionly. Where do we get this disc to fix the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Navigation Display Outage

Old 04-29-2010, 02:47 PM
JFKLS3
Racer

I am going to take it in. If it is documented before the warranty expires hopefully that will help if it does indeed happen again.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:59 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BP09
I found this on the Corvette Mechanic forum:

There is an update programming disc for all 2007-2009 Corvette with navigation radios.

Blank screen syndrome is one of the issues that this programming update covers.

Check with your dealership to see if they have the update disc, it is NOT ESSENTIAL and isnt shipped unless needed.

The disc part number is 20906717
Geoff,

Is there some kind of referance number or bulletin number I can give my dealer to find out out this disc?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by LOUSVETTE
Geoff,

Is there some kind of referance number or bulletin number I can give my dealer to find out out this disc?
I am not showing a TSB when I do a quick search. However, I am not a technician, so I can't say for sure. If your vehicle is still under warranty, I would suggest just taking it in. The dealer has access to the same information as I do and will be more familiar with the problem. If they have a problem diagnosing this, please let me know. I can than push to have the dealer involve our technical service team.

Geoff Allen

Quick Reply: C6 Navigation Display Outage