C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Hands Free Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:04 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Bluetooth Hands Free Question

Recently I sold my C5 and purchased a 2008 coupe with the 2LT equipment group. I would like to be able to use a bluetooth kit to integrate my cell phone with the car's radio equipment. I would like for the kit to be as close to factory as possible and not interfere with any factory functions of the radio. It has the XM tuner and of course I want that to continue to function. I was in Best Buy today and they were trying to sell me a kit by "Scosche" that they said was compatible with the C6 - about $300.00 installed. I am not as concerned with the cost as I am the proper integration with the car's equipment. Any feedback, experience or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:06 PM
diablojota
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to take a look at this: http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html
Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM
andneil74
Cruising

Be careful with the Costar unit. I tried it and while it does integrate nicely with the audio/ Onstar system, there is a MAJOR issue with the unit not shutting off after the car is turned off resulting in battery drain. I wound up returning the unit after a week since Costar was unable to provide a fix for this.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:32 AM
adamb258
Advanced

I am also looking for a hands free bluetooth device that will install and operate as clean as possible. I am sad to hear that about bluestar because it looked very promising.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by andneil74
Be careful with the Costar unit. I tried it and while it does integrate nicely with the audio/ Onstar system, there is a MAJOR issue with the unit not shutting off after the car is turned off resulting in battery drain. I wound up returning the unit after a week since Costar was unable to provide a fix for this.
I've been doing some testing of this unit and I'm working with the engineer at CoStar to try to help him resolve this issue. I did some data captures for him of the class 2 data bus over the weekend and sent him the files and he is in the process of analysing them and making changes to the firmware. I expect he will have it resolved in a week or two, and I'll let you know when I get the new updated firmware installed and tested.

It is a real nice unit and works well, and once this one bug is fixed it will be a great solution. It even supports voice dialing, all through the existing OnStar buttons, and it is a total plug and play device.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM
andneil74
Cruising

Thanks for the comments. I agree it's a great unit and intergrates very well with the Onstar unit. Please keep me posted on the firmware update. Once this issue is resolved, I would be happy to re-purchase it again from Costar. by the way, they did refund my $$ without a hassle.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Some navigation units like Garmin Nuvi have the blue tooth option in them if you by chance have one of those.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 PM
AntneeD
Racer

Thanks for the update on the Costar unit, please keep us updated on this...I am very interested in this unit as well...

thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 03:56 PM
iluvettes3
Racer

Parrott makes some nice units and they seem to be the industry leader in aftermarket bluetooth systems. The only downside is that in order to make it work properly you need to buy a harness that is about $150 in addition to the unit, but install is supposed to be pretty easy. I went with the kenwood 9960 and am anxiously awaiting it because it uses parrott bluetooth and garmin nav. Hope these ideas help
Old 04-27-2010, 03:23 AM
adamb258
Advanced

I guess ill wait and see what turns up with bluestar, id also like to see some picture and review of other systems people have installed

Get notified of new replies

To Bluetooth Hands Free Question

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Hands Free Question