C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on West Coast Corvette exchange on chrome Gumby's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Formula52
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Opinions on West Coast Corvette exchange on chrome Gumby's?

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone that has done or knows about the exchange of the Chrome Gumby's done by West Coast Corvette provide information about the quality of the chrome wheel.

I have the polished Gumby's on my 2008 and would like to exchange them for Chrome.

I spoke to someone named Paul from WCC at the Strictly Corvettes show in Atlantic City this weekend. Said they do it all the time, they are OEM wheels and the cost is $795 + $200 shipping.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Steve
Old 09-29-2015, 07:35 AM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

OLD POST BUT!

I would also like to know how the quality is. And if anybody has done this recently .
Looks like a better deal the reproduction.
? Do the wheels look new dents, bent, good chrome job.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 01:38 PM
WestCoastCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skar
OLD POST BUT!

I would also like to know how the quality is. And if anybody has done this recently .

Thanks

Just a heads up on the wheel exchange. We check all wheels to make sure they are not Bent, Cracked, Corroded or out of round. If they have any issues we will not even take them as a core. Please Call me if you have any other questions at 888-737-8388 ext 237

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 09-29-2015, 06:39 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

OLD POST BUT!

Thanks
I did this about three years ago and it was a big mistake. All your doing is trading your used wheels for chrome used wheels. You can probably get them brand new from Bob's House of Wheels for the same price. The barrels on the wheels they sold me were all pitted and scratched. I gave them my wheels with the factory center caps and the wheels they gave me had some aftermarket crap center caps.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:14 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

I did it a couple years ago and it was a mistake. Lots of hidden costs. You have to pay for the shipping of your wheels also they weren't quick about returning my core so 10% on the CC for another month plus a wheel I was driving on for a year or so suddenly was out of round to the tune of $75. Plus you have to get them balanced and aligned. But to give the devil his due, The product was very good. I got back original GM wheels (could tell by the markings) that were triple dipped and Ive been enjoying them since 2007 . Ive had Zero problems with them and they really shine up nice. Still. So really the choice is yours. My $749 wheels wound up costing about $1100 after all the BS. Am I happy I did it? yeah maybe. would I do it again? no

Clif
Old 09-29-2015, 07:46 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 10:12 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I personally would search craigslist in your local area .... or purchase from ebay.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:27 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks
Sent you a EM.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by WestCoastCorvette
Just a heads up on the wheel exchange. We check all wheels to make sure they are not Bent, Cracked, Corroded or out of round. If they have any issues we will not even take them as a core. Please Call me if you have any other questions at 888-737-8388 ext 237

Thanks,
Brandon
This seems to be the industry standard. SOME retailers will definitely take advantage and claim that your cores are bent or damaged. Then what are you going to do? Shipping will kill you.
I went with a ebay seller/chrome exchange factory that is about 30 miles from me, so that I could watch what they did and make sure that they mounted the tires correctly, etc. They DID try to tell me that my 6 mos old factory wheels were bent. When I looked at the spinning wheel on the balancing machine, I could not see any run out. So I told them that I didn't see any problem and to just remount my tires on my original rims and I would leave. They then told me that they could straighten my wheels, even though they advertised that only perfect, undamaged wheals would be chromed and exchanged, and proceeded with the sale.
I would not, under any circumstances, do a wheel exchange by mail/freight. Find a local retailer that you can deal with directly.

Last edited by Sayfoo; 09-30-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:20 PM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You could always have the clear stripped and then polish them up real nice. More work keeping them up but the look is worth it imo.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on West Coast Corvette exchange on chrome Gumby's?

Quick Reply: Opinions on West Coast Corvette exchange on chrome Gumby's?