C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls2 vs hemi

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Alothman_Miami
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls2 vs hemi

So today I ran with chrysler 300c srt8 with heads and cam in the strip. The timers were not working so they made us go for free today. Anyway when I floored it I wasnt expecting the hemi to be that fast, it was a very close run. Its front bumper was in the range of my door just to give you an idea. Does this mean that my corvette is slow, im slow or his hemi is fast? Im so curious guys im not having any sleep unless someone responds..... !!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Restroom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alothman_Miami
they made us go for free
First time I've heard it put like that.
How many times did they force you to endure free races?

(your car is fine. If you were labouring under the impression that just because you arrive at the strip in a Vette you'll dominate over modified competitors, this drag racing stuff is going to be a very interesting hobby for you!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:55 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Lots of variables including driver reaction times - -

It's a heavy car, but with heads and a cam, could be a good run . .

You'd need a few runs and light times to really make a comparison - -
Old 05-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Alothman_Miami
Advanced

Originally Posted by Restroom
First time I've heard it put like that.
How many times did they force you to endure free races?

(your car is fine. If you were labouring under the impression that just because you arrive at the strip in a Vette you'll dominate over modified competitors, this drag racing stuff is going to be a very interesting hobby for you!
The strip is supposed to close at 8 today. At 7 the timers were not working so they made whoever race. There were like 8 cars in total today.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you driving a manual? The 300C SRT8's are all auto so there is the lack of shifting advantage there.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Alothman_Miami
Advanced

Originally Posted by Licit
Are you driving a manual? The 300C SRT8's are all auto so there is the lack of shifting advantage there.
Yup manual c6, bone stock ls2.... the chrysler as I said is auto with heads and cam....
Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Alothman_Miami
Advanced

I won fortunately but i was expecting to humiliate a hemi..... I am sure there is nothing wrong with my shifting, Ive been racing in strips since I was 16.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

I won fortunately but i was expecting to humiliate a hemi..... I am sure there is nothing wrong with my shifting, Ive been racing in strips since I was 16.
Guess it depends on how extreme he went with the heads and cam but he started with 421bhp and could have ended up with 500+hp. I remember a guy who had a heads/cam Grand Cherokee SRT8 with 533bhp. Supposedly it ran a 12.1 in the 1/4 but all wheel drive is huge help.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally I'm surprised he didn't beat you. The fact that you won leads me to believe he got a bad run.

Bone stock I've seen SRT8s go high 12s. With heads/cam they can easily be in the 11s.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nope, your vette is slow J/K, can't really say anything without the 60 and ET. Hemis run strong and I have always been impressed with the one in my Durango. You have him by about 800 pounds so you still probably should have got him on the top end.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:14 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Traction on the launch can hinder the 1/4mi ET. Its not only good shifting it has to be a combination of everything, launch, shifting (including shift points) etc.

You really cant go by just one race either... He might have had his best run that time, and you didnt. Id say it can take several races to know for sure how two cars fair up.

He does have some mods, and who knows if he changed the gearing which will make the car sprint quicker.

I had a 2005 non-SC rousch mustang nipping my tail because he had headers, tune and 3.73's in the rear. All I had was a CAI and ported TB at the time.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure anyone stock should expect to "humiliate" any SRT-8 model, and definitely not one with heads and cam work. Actually sounds like you did pretty well.

Also, I believe (may be wrong) you could buy a 300C with SRT design package, that wasn't the 6.1L Hemi, but was the 5.7instead. Any chance it was a 5.7 instead of a real SRT-8?

Last edited by CodyC6; 05-04-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:44 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

I raced a brand new RT challenger and blew it away by over 10-15 car lengths. but it is the 5.7 and not the 6.1 that comes in the SRT8's. If he had heads and cam he should be making over 500hp but the car is very heavy compared to a vette.

Glad you won.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CodyC6
I'm not sure anyone stock should expect to "humiliate" any SRT-8 model, and definitely not one with heads and cam work. Actually sounds like you did pretty well.

Also, I believe (may be wrong) you could buy a 300C with SRT design package, that wasn't the 6.1L Hemi, but was the 5.7instead. Any chance it was a 5.7 instead of a real SRT-8?
Nope can't happen, reminds me of Dodge and their SXT line that look like the better performer but with pathetic engine, though a douche could go out and buy the SRT8 front bumper, sideskirts, wheels and rear bumper along with badges but that's a bunch of money to not look very different at all. I have a 300C AWD with the 5.7 hemi, the easiest way to tell the two apart is the wheels on SRT8's are much bigger and better looking than 5.7 hemi's.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:13 PM
CamaroCane
Burning Brakes

Was the race at Countyline?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:36 PM
N8sFavToy
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Licit
Guess it depends on how extreme he went with the heads and cam but he started with 421bhp and could have ended up with 500+hp. I remember a guy who had a heads/cam Grand Cherokee SRT8 with 533bhp. Supposedly it ran a 12.1 in the 1/4 but all wheel drive is huge help.
u would embarrass an non SRT8, but one with heads/cam would give a stock C6 a good race. And the old deal with manual quicker than an auto is becoming a thing of the past. Autos have come a long way recently and are getting faster than manual depending on driver skill with everything else the same.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:24 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So today I ran with chrysler 300c srt8 with heads and cam in the strip. The timers were not working so they made us go for free today. Anyway when I floored it I wasnt expecting the hemi to be that fast, it was a very close run. Its front bumper was in the range of my door just to give you an idea. Does this mean that my corvette is slow, im slow or his hemi is fast? Im so curious guys im not having any sleep unless someone responds..... !!!!!!!!!
I think the Hemi is a low rev monster. Weight is not a huge issue off the line, in fact in can help. Once you get going and the cars wake up then you have a race.
The C6 starts to breath and you are off to the races.

Get notified of new replies

To ls2 vs hemi

Old 05-07-2010, 01:10 AM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Personally I'm surprised he didn't beat you. The fact that you won leads me to believe he got a bad run.

Bone stock I've seen SRT8s go high 12s. With heads/cam they can easily be in the 11s.
The SRT8 and C6 LS2 M6 are pretty evenly matched and it's usually a drivers race. With H&C in the SRT8 he should have won....sorry.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:05 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

A JEEP Cherokee gave me all I wanted coming off a Interstate last year. I was trying to merge into traffic and he was along side. We both hit it at the same time and after a couple of seconds I realized that I WASN'T going by him as fast as I should be. I backed off and let him go. A busy road in Fairfax, Va wasn't the place to find out who had the better top end....
Old 05-07-2010, 07:52 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by C6LSx
The SRT8 and C6 LS2 M6 are pretty evenly matched and it's usually a drivers race. With H&C in the SRT8 he should have won....sorry.
Before I got a corvette I almost bought a Charger SRT8. That big heavy beast with the auto is no comparison to a vette. The factory specs for the charger were about 5.5 0-60 and 13.5 for the 1/4.

Quick Reply: ls2 vs hemi