C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you consider the C6 a mid-engine car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would you consider the C6 a mid-engine car?

My understanding of a mid-engine car is the engine center line must be between the front and rear axles. Clearly this is the case with a C6, it would be a front mid-engine. Your rarely hear of a C6's drivetrain layout described in such a way. Does the engine have to be in back of the passenger cabin to be a true mid-engine car?

What do you think?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It technically is a mid engine, but most folks won't agree to that unless the engine is behind the driver for some reason. I'm totally lost on what the appeal for a future generation rear mid engine Corvette, as the only reason to do a mid is balance, and the car is already at 50/50.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

No, then my 65 Mustang was a Mid Engine car
Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettin08
It technically is a mid engine, but most folks won't agree to that unless the engine is behind the driver for some reason. I'm totally lost on what the appeal for a future generation rear mid engine Corvette, as the only reason to do a mid is balance, and the car is already at 50/50.
First of all, let me say that I agree that I don't really care if it's a "true" mid engine or not. Mid engine cars give up a lot of real world passenger and luggage functionality.

But to your second point - being 50/50 is not the same as moving more of the weight to a central point. Think about a long rod with ten lb weights at each end as opposed to a 20 lb weight right in the middle. I don't know how to explain it in technical terms, but the effect on the rotation of the rod will be completely different when you spin it. Same with a car going around a curve. If the car begins to rotate (lose traction at the rear specifically) the weight at the rear of the car will develop more momentum than if the weight was near the middle of the car.

Last edited by jschindler; 05-07-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:11 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
First of all, let me say that I agree that I don't really care if it's a "true" mid engine or not. Mid engine cars give up a lot of real world passenger and luggage functionality.

But to your second point - being 50/50 is not the same has moving more of the weight to a central point. Think about a long rod with ten lb weights at each end as opposed to a 20 lb weight right in the middle. I don't know how to explain it in technical terms, but the effect on the rotation of the rod will be completely different when you spin it. Same with a car going around a curve. If the car begins to rotate (lose traction at the rear specifically) the weight at the rear of the car will develop more momentum than if the weight was near the middle of the car.

Go drive a true mid-engine car and the differences are apparent.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:45 AM
colo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that mid-engine would be better for handling and coolness-factor reasons. It would make the Corvette more exotic and with an upgraded interior, more able to compete directly with imports. If the sales go down or stay the same, this would help justify a large increase in cost per car.

On the other hand, there is no doubt that the current configuration is far more practical in most ways - luggage and interior space being class leaders for sure. I am guessing it is far easier to maintain our cars, cheaper to produce (easier to share driveline components) etc.

I think the C6 does a fantastic job of actually looking like a rear-mid engine exotic without actually being one, so the looks thing is largely irrelevant. The Boxster is mid-engine with a decent amount of luggage space, so I suppose that is doable.

There are always trade-offs, although I think a rear mid-engine would be cool. I am willing to bet we would have to give up usable luggage area, interior volume, and $$$$$ in higher cost.

Is it worth it?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

But to your second point - being 50/50 is not the same as moving more of the weight to a central point. Think about a long rod with ten lb weights at each end as opposed to a 20 lb weight right in the middle. I don't know how to explain it in technical terms, but the effect on the rotation of the rod will be completely different when you spin it. Same with a car going around a curve. If the car begins to rotate (lose traction at the rear specifically) the weight at the rear of the car will develop more momentum than if the weight was near the middle of the car.
With Jim. I believe the technical term is "moment of inertia"
Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

nope...
Old 05-07-2010, 12:21 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

No too...
Now if it was the Factory Five GTM with the corvette engine, which they use, then yes.....
Old 05-07-2010, 12:27 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
With Jim. I believe the technical term is "moment of inertia"
Actually, 'polar moment of inertia', but yes.

Of course, Nissan refers to their platform for the Infiniti G and Nissan Z as FM for 'front mid-engine' (apropos of nothing at all).
Old 05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

NO! Corvette is front engine, rear wheel drive. Some Advertizing geek decided that mid engine sounds trick so......

Mid engine means exactly that, engine in the middle of the car;
Front wheels, then driver, then engine, then rear wheels.
Porche Boxter, Ford GT, etc

Front engine means engine in the front of the car;
Front wheels, then engine, then driver, then rear wheels.
Corvette and most others.

Rear engine means engine in the rear of the car;
Front wheels, then driver, then rear wheels, then engine.
Porche 911 and ?

These are the same Advertizing geeks that want to call the Corvette construction a Space Frame when it's a Body on Frame.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree that a true mid-engine car is an exotic in some ways and improves handling to a degree. But there is a cost and usually it's in access to engine or carrying (luggage) space. From what I've learned about the Boxster, a true mid engine car, is that it was designed for ease of access, but that still requires dropping the engine down.

Simple, easy, refined, pushed to the limit is where I'd like to see Corvette go. There was a time when I really liked the mid-engine potential, but I don't think it's needed. I'm not even sure the former "Northstar" engine was a type to be considered for the Corvette, but I wouldn't. This, despite the fact that it is a result of the LT5 used in the early 1990s ZR-1.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:53 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Check out the Ford GT(not the mustang). It has 1 cubic foot of storage space in the front. Awesome looking car, but not very practical for an over night trip, and forget about a week long trip to Yellowstone.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:26 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Front engine, not remotely mid.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:29 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The Corvette is a front engine, rear wheel drive vehicle as classified by GM and Corvette engineers. Don't go by the Wikipedia definition of "mid engine" or you will begin to think that 90% of the cars on the road today are mid engine.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:40 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by haljensen
NO! Corvette is front engine, rear wheel drive. Some Advertizing geek decided that mid engine sounds trick so......

Mid engine means exactly that, engine in the middle of the car;
Front wheels, then driver, then engine, then rear wheels.
Porche Boxter, Ford GT, etc

Front engine means engine in the front of the car;
Front wheels, then engine, then driver, then rear wheels.
Corvette and most others.

Rear engine means engine in the rear of the car;
Front wheels, then driver, then rear wheels, then engine.
Porche 911 and ?

These are the same Advertizing geeks that want to call the Corvette construction a Space Frame when it's a Body on Frame.
I guess someone should tell those pesky GM designers and engineers that presented the space frame design to the SAE technical conference.

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Aluminum Spaceframe Design and Engineering Technology

Or those nutcases at Dana Engineering (you know, the folks that actually build the Z06 frame) as well.

Lightweight All-Aluminum Spaceframe

Get notified of new replies

To Would you consider the C6 a mid-engine car?

Old 05-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turned a corner in the rain (C6 '05) and accelerated a bit too much, spun out rear wheels and will say it is definitely NOT a front engine car. No front end inertia working to straighten out this puppy. Fortunately, brakes worked and stopped before hitting powerpole on side, but for an instant, tried to drive out of it and it wouldn't work.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:05 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Wilzer
Turned a corner in the rain (C6 '05) and accelerated a bit too much, spun out rear wheels and will say it is definitely NOT a front engine car. No front end inertia working to straighten out this puppy. Fortunately, brakes worked and stopped before hitting powerpole on side, but for an instant, tried to drive out of it and it wouldn't work.
I think you might be confusing weight and balance (and horsepower) with engine placement.

Some front engine vehicles from the 80's and 90's were as high as 58/42 weight distribution and many of the heavier modern cars (like the 2010 Camaro 52/48 and Mustang 54/46) would give you the feel you are after but with the light weight and 51/49 on the base coupe and convertible you lose a lot of that effect.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Front engine, not remotely mid.
So the center of mass of the Corvettes engine is located FORWARD of the front axle? Wow, I didn't know that.

Quick Reply: Would you consider the C6 a mid-engine car?