C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"XM Lock", "XM Locked", or "XM Theftlocked" Issue Resolved!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 PM
GXP25
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "XM Lock", "XM Locked", or "XM Theftlocked" Issue Resolved!

I am sure most of you at one point in time have purchased a used XM module from a junkyard. Or have swapped units from one vehicle to another, only to encounter one of the above error messages.

A trip to the dealer has proven unsuccessful and programming the used module's VIN number into the BCM is not the correct approach to take. Yes, the Tech 2 is useless in this aspect.

This past Wednesday, I went to the dealership to hopefully get the module reprogrammed. My dealer was very willing to reprogram the module (~$45 fee) but was unable to. A call to GM returned that once the module is programmed, it cannot be reprogrammed. While this is true, it does not mean that the module's EEPROM cannot be cleared, thus paving the way for a VIN relearn.

After hearing the above from my dealer, I stuck around and attempted to get in touch with the "Master Corvette Mechanic" named Joe Malo. The guy cannot even be reached and a guy I spoke with over the phone did not want to hear any of it. Apparently, Joe Malo was "too busy with what he's doing at the moment." All I wanted was for the two dealerships to speak to each other. Oh well.

So, I got home and Google'd my *** off again trying to find some information/a solution. I ended up finding a Chevy Avalanche forum where user SpottyJ linked to another forum about a possible solution. It was a user named 98Blackss who eventually found a solution. He was able to get a radio service center to reflash the unit. So a few PMs later and I was in touch with the service center and overnighted my unit. Like 98Blackss, I was warned by the service center that this was not a guaranteed fix. I agreed and understood any limitations.

They received the unit Thursday. I called Friday and paid the fee plus overnight Saturday delivery. After receiving my unit today and testing it out, the "XM Locked" message on the NAV screen is gone!

I spoke with a lead engineer named "Kevin" on Thursday and he said they would have no problem with "fixing" these units.

The company's name is Instrument Sales and Service, Inc. and you would obviously have to get in contact with them before sending in your unit.

The test bench fee is $35. This service reflashes the module and then tests on the Alpha, which is apparently setup to make sure the module is communicating with all the XM satellites. This fee may or may not change depending on the demand. So it would probably be best to call and inquire.

Overall, I am very satisfied with their service and I would definitely do business with them again. The company was very professional, very knowledgeable, and very helpful with this matter. I would highly recommend them to anyone (not that there's another known choice out there, lol).

A picture of my NAV screen after turning on the vehicle:

I do not have an all-in-one (OnStar, GPS, and XM) antenna yet so I cannot test out the previews. My antenna is simply OnStar and GPS. The good thing is that "XM Locked" is gone!

The packaging that I received the unit in is very professional! Their overnight shipping price was also very reasonable ($15 for standard overnight, $20 for overnight Saturday delivery). Considering that I sent the module wrapped in bubble wrap and squeezed into a USPS overnight envelope.

Good luck!

Last edited by GXP25; 05-16-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Removed some extra non-vendor information.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:33 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Good info.You do know you could have bought an SIR-GM1 and just plugged it in without going thru all this,right?
Old 05-15-2010, 10:39 PM
GXP25
Advanced

Yes, I knew about this but I wanted the factory XM and the SIR-GM1 is a Sirius tuner (yes I know they merged).

Also, the SIR-GM1 isn't "officially" supported by the PAL, which is what I will eventually "move up" to.

This thread is meant to help the myriads of people (not just C6 owners) on the internet with this issue.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:47 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

This thread is meant to help the myriads of people (not just C6 owners) on the internet with this issue.
GXP25 is online now Report Post Reply With Quote
I wish you had this info a few years ago!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 PM
GXP25
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08crm
I wish you had this info a few years ago!
Oh yeah, for sure. At least now, it will help anyone else who may encounter this "wall."

People aren't going to stop buying used parts. So I just found it very ridiculous that this very part, which is probably the used part queen, is/was the hardest to get working.

I bought mine used for $35 last year. Brand new was almost ten times that price.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:36 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

can we get the address and phone # ,so i/we can get ours fixed too
Old 07-31-2010, 01:56 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GXP25
I am sure most of you at one point in time have purchased a used XM module from a junkyard.
No I never have done that. IMO XM is crap and I hope they go out of business for treating their customers so badly. I'm actually amazed that the FCC & FTC haven't closed them down due to unethical business practices, but I haven't read the morning paper yet.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 PM
GXP25
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
can we get the address and phone # ,so i/we can get ours fixed too
Just google their name (it's in boldface).
Old 08-05-2010, 01:56 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

i found 5 different places,i just found it after calling 3
Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 AM
michaelbm
1st Gear

Found this out after doing so experimenting, i posted a thread for those comfortable with opening up the xm modules you can unlock it yourself...

http://www.gpona.com/forums/04-08-gr...lf-t21816.html
Old 04-04-2017, 11:53 AM
warriorpluto
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelbm
Found this out after doing so experimenting, i posted a thread for those comfortable with opening up the xm modules you can unlock it yourself...

http://www.gpona.com/forums/04-08-gr...lf-t21816.html
Just to update this thread since every website I looked for were too lazy to actually post on the forum itself instead on linking to a dead website. This information could've been lost forever because of lazy people who didn't want to post the information to the actual forum. Now I'll save some people some money. Here​ is the information. I'll post a picture later today when I get from the auction.

"Look for an 8 legged chip numbered 09400464. Using a soldering iron and a very thin flat headed precision screwdriver, very carefully de-solder and un-attach pin 8 (pin opposite side the dot) from the board. Re-assemble and plug your XM receiver back in and all will work as normal."

Btw for this procedure I just used a needle to break the joint at the leg instead of using an soldering iron. Five minutes worth of work.
The following users liked this post:
jopper (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:29 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
Just to update this thread since every website I looked for were too lazy to actually post on the forum itself instead on linking to a dead website. This information could've been lost forever because of lazy people who didn't want to post the information to the actual forum. Now I'll save some people some money. Here​ is the information. I'll post a picture later today when I get from the auction.

"Look for an 8 legged chip numbered 09400464. Using a soldering iron and a very thin flat headed precision screwdriver, very carefully de-solder and un-attach pin 8 (pin opposite side the dot) from the board. Re-assemble and plug your XM receiver back in and all will work as normal."

Btw for this procedure I just used a needle to break the joint at the leg instead of using an soldering iron. Five minutes worth of work.
Great info. Looking forward to the pics
Thanks
Old 04-04-2017, 03:24 PM
jopper
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been searching for the answer to this for several days and kept finding the same reference to a dead link. Many thanks warriorpluto for any assistance you can provide! Looking forward to the pictures!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:44 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

What are these great channels everyone listens too that makes it worthwhile to subscribe to XM?

I had a three month free XM special when I bought my car and all I saw was that the same programming just repeats itself on every channel I listened too. And once I heard the same songs ten times in the same week and at least twice a day, I was through with it. It seems like they have a finite set of music to pull from. I wasn't impressed.

I can load plenty of music on a 16Gb USB thumb drive, and never hear the same song once in a month. And it didn't cost me nothing each month.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:16 PM
warriorpluto
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ByRiver
What are these great channels everyone listens too that makes it worthwhile to subscribe to XM?

I had a three month free XM special when I bought my car and all I saw was that the same programming just repeats itself on every channel I listened too. And once I heard the same songs ten times in the same week and at least twice a day, I was through with it. It seems like they have a finite set of music to pull from. I wasn't impressed.

I can load plenty of music on a 16Gb USB thumb drive, and never hear the same song once in a month. And it didn't cost me nothing each month.
well local radio sucks. Plus with Sirius I don't have to carry around CD or flash drives. They already play music good enough for me lol. Xm will hold me until I save up enough to install am Android radio worth installing.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:18 PM
warriorpluto
Heel & Toe

well local radio sucks. Plus with Sirius I don't have to carry around CD or flash drives. They already play music good enough for me lol. Xm will hold me until I save up enough to install am Android radio worth installing.
The pin to clip is the first one at the top opposite of the dot. So basically clip the leg above the first zero lol
The following 2 users liked this post by warriorpluto:
dan1948 (08-08-2022), jopper (04-04-2017)
Old 08-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Marc64
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2019 Update

The pin to clip is the first one at the top opposite of the dot. So basically clip the leg above the first zero lol
To update this thread -- I was having the same issue with a used XM receiver being locked so I looked up Instrument Sales and Services. They still do the testing and flashing service. The price has gone up to $45 plus return shipping but that still seems reasonable for both a unit testing to make sure it is good and also resetting it.

They are at 1-800-333-7976 and you will need the 8 digit GM part number (mine was 15854742) so they can verify that they have the right equipment/software to do the job. They are located at 7051 South 234th Street, Kent, WA 98032

Hope this helps someone along the way.
The following users liked this post:
dan1948 (08-08-2022)
Old 10-20-2019, 02:48 PM
lt1z350
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Start playing with rewriting bcms swapping 6 speed in place of a 4 speed and the xm will lock out. I did a 6l80 swap on my tahoe and had to reflash a 6 speed vin to make my tap shift work in it and tow haul. So then radio locks out easy fix program that too. Then xm theft lock and this thread saved me from losing my xm radio. Long time ago but this thread is much help im sure to many. I will do a full new post with this info on the gm truck thread too so its not so hard to find. Thanks if still around for sharing this stuff. Now just need to get this out of my park sensor module.....lol
Old 10-20-2019, 04:26 PM
jopper
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad it helped.

Get notified of new replies

To "XM Lock", "XM Locked", or "XM Theftlocked" Issue Resolved!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "XM Lock", "XM Locked", or "XM Theftlocked" Issue Resolved!