C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run flat tires vs Regular Tires

Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 PM
aiasillo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run flat tires vs Regular Tires

Hello,

I am new to this forum and am probably asking a question that has been discussed over and over again. Sorry if I am but I am having difficulty searching these threads.

Anyway, I have a 2008 C6 Convertable. I absolutely love everything about it except the run flat tires. If I were to buy new tires that are not run flat, what do I need to do? Someone said carry a can of fix a flat with you, but I heard that you ruin the tire if you use that.

Can someone shed a little light here? I heard regular tires are so much quieter and provide a much smoother ride. I don't want to be patching any tires if I do get a flat, but other than fix a flat I don't see another alternative.
Last thing can anyone suggest a tire other than a run flat that provides great performance as well as providing a smoother quieter ride.

Thank you in advance for your help
Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by aiasillo
Hello,

I am new to this forum and am probably asking a question that has been discussed over and over again. Sorry if I am but I am having difficulty searching these threads.

Anyway, I have a 2008 C6 Convertable. I absolutely love everything about it except the run flat tires. If I were to buy new tires that are not run flat, what do I need to do? Someone said carry a can of fix a flat with you, but I heard that you ruin the tire if you use that.

Can someone shed a little light here? I heard regular tires are so much quieter and provide a much smoother ride. I don't want to be patching any tires if I do get a flat, but other than fix a flat I don't see another alternative.
Last thing can anyone suggest a tire other than a run flat that provides great performance as well as providing a smoother quieter ride.

Thank you in advance for your help
There are pros and cons for each. If you don't want to patch it on the side of a highway then stay with run flats. Run flats also have stiffer sidewalls so the car's steering response is quicker or at least more direct.

I've been told that fix-a-flat basically kills your tire and is a pain to get off.

As far as quieter and a smoother ride, this is a sports car not a luxury cruiser. The Vette rides like an old Cadillac compared to my 05 Caddy CTS V that I had with its OEM runflats. I have my NPP open 99% of the time so I don't notice the tire noise that much. I heard the Michelin RF is a lot quieter. I also heard some non run flats being noiser, rougher or quicker wearing. The best comparision would be to compare a set of run flats with 15k on them with a set of non run flats with the same mileage. There are some tires out there that will provide more grip but also less wet weather traction, more wear or some other compromise.

I really wish one of the mags would do a performance test between non runflats and runflats of the same brand/type (such as the Michelin PS2). I don't think you would notice much difference. If the regular PS2s were quicker the ZR1 would have them instead of run-flats.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:27 PM
lilthrift
Instructor

I am just now replacing my Goodyears with a set of Nitto Invos. They are NOT run flat tires and I have read many a thread basically where most members have switched. I also bought the ContiComfort kit and put it in the back in case of emergency.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Try to do a search and you should get lots of input.

I've had both. I'll always have run flats from now on. For cruising, safety and peace of mind are worth more to me than a small amount of ride softness or maybe a little less tire noise. I've had both kinds of tires, and I'm back to run flats. I carried a pump and repair kit, but that is not the same as just continuing to drive.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Buy-Low
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Run Flats. You get a nice ride, long tread life and run flats. Plus the A/S compound gives you great traction in cold weather
Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I have the michelin runflats, and a convertible and my exhaust is not open. To the extent possible, I do remember the Goodyears when they were new, and I don't think the michelins are any quieter. They are fine, and I try to understand those who want a quiet tire. To me, either the Goodyear or michelin are fine with respect to all the criteria: noise, handling, traction, ride quality and price.

I would not want a non-runflat tire. It's a "new" technology that I like and appreciate.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 PM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Run flats could save your life.
I'll never go back.
There is a lot more road debris out there and traffic can be feet away at high speeds.
No way I am not having runflats, it is proven they can help keep you in control if something nasty happens.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I've been told that fix-a-flat basically kills your tire and is a pain to get off.
Not only that. It'll kill your TPMS too
Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Get regular tires for less noise, cheaper, at least as good handling, and a softer ride and maybe better wet road performance and also carry a small air compressor. Most of the time that will get you home. In the rare, and I stress rare, event that it doesn't, have it flat bedded.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:27 PM
scriv
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Corvette52
Get Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Run Flats. You get a nice ride, long tread life and run flats. Plus the A/S compound gives you great traction in cold weather
replaced my GY with them about 2 months ago on my 07 Z51. they ride smoother, quieter and in wet weather cornering they were great. I like them and they were quite a bit less than the PS2's
Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the Goodyear runflats on my 08 Z51 they seemed to a be a very good tire, lots of grip and the car handled very well, one thing you notice with ALL tires towards the end is they get noisy and ride rough.

I thought about tires and went with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires (not cheap), they are quiet, smooth but they are new. The consensus seems to be the non-run flats are more tolerable in respect to the runflats, but I tend to ride in areas that gas stations are few and far between 100 mile +, I will stick with runflats
Old 05-18-2010, 12:27 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

About 2000 miles on mine and it's like driving a different car compared to the GY Supercar (Z51) tires. I don't want to be stranded at the side of an expressway at night in the rain... . PS a/s are the best of both worlds.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:47 AM
ateam311
Racer

Originally Posted by lilthrift
I am just now replacing my Goodyears with a set of Nitto Invos. They are NOT run flat tires and I have read many a thread basically where most members have switched. I also bought the ContiComfort kit and put it in the back in case of emergency.
Will the sealant mess with the TPMS?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 AM
aiasillo
2nd Gear

Thank you everyone for your input and advice. After reading these responses and doing a bit more research I will stay with run flats. I just turned 5000 miles on my 2008 Vette, I still have the standard tires. At what point do you think I should get the Michelin's? Next year? I know you can't rotate these tires, so do you just watch the tread? Maybe Next year? Thanks again for the help
Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Wynsnob
Racer

I just purchased a set of the Michelin tires. I would highly recommend this avenue. The ride is amazing and you would not even know you have run flats. I purchased my 2007 C6 with the original GY RF tires and they were noisy and didn't last long. I got them at Cost Co. The price was reasonable and they handled the vette well during installation.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Wynsnob
Racer

Originally Posted by BigJoe
About 2000 miles on mine and it's like driving a different car compared to the GY Supercar (Z51) tires. I don't want to be stranded at the side of an expressway at night in the rain... . PS a/s are the best of both worlds.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by aiasillo
Thank you everyone for your input and advice. After reading these responses and doing a bit more research I will stay with run flats. I just turned 5000 miles on my 2008 Vette, I still have the standard tires. At what point do you think I should get the Michelin's? Next year? I know you can't rotate these tires, so do you just watch the tread? Maybe Next year? Thanks again for the help
You get new tires when you need them, or when you want to replace them, whichever comes first. Yes, you watch the tread--that will tell you how your tires are wearing and especially look at the inside tread of the tires, all four.

Probably not need replacement next year at the 2K miles/year that you are driving. Unless your alignment is out of whack, in which case you MAY need new tires next year.

And that's something to check: your alignment. The chances are very good that by now, it needs to be realigned.

Search on here for alignment specs; you'll find the ones for aggressive driving and touring, both quite different. One will help handling and the other will prolong to some limited extent your tire life. You choose which you want.

Get notified of new replies

To Run flat tires vs Regular Tires

Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Wynsnob
I just purchased a set of the Michelin tires. I would highly recommend this avenue. The ride is amazing and you would not even know you have run flats. I purchased my 2007 C6 with the original GY RF tires and they were noisy and didn't last long. I got them at Cost Co. The price was reasonable and they handled the vette well during installation.
Which Michelins?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:06 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dendk
I had the Goodyear runflats on my 08 Z51 they seemed to a be a very good tire, lots of grip and the car handled very well, one thing you notice with ALL tires towards the end is they get noisy and ride rough.

I thought about tires and went with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires (not cheap), they are quiet, smooth but they are new. The consensus seems to be the non-run flats are more tolerable in respect to the runflats, but I tend to ride in areas that gas stations are few and far between 100 mile +, I will stick with runflats
one thing you notice with ALL tires towards the end is they get noisy and ride rough.

What's the difference between the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tire and the AS All Season tire?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:09 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CessnaDriver
Run flats could save your life.
I'll never go back.
There is a lot more road debris out there and traffic can be feet away at high speeds.
No way I am not having runflats, it is proven they can help keep you in control if something nasty happens.
Like having a blow out at freeway speeds? Or saving your wheel from further damage?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Run flat tires vs Regular Tires