C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch creaks! Drives me NUTS!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Rear hatch creaks! Drives me NUTS!!!

I have had my 06 Z06 now for 3 months and love it. The interior is very solid and no other noises except for the rear hatch creaks. This is my 4th vette and second C6 and none of my other vettes have done it. I have done everything imagineable to try and fix the creaking noises from lubricating the weather striping, adjusting the rubber stoppers, to re-torquing the hatch bolts and latching mechanism.

Car is like new with 7,000 miles never any accidents. Does anyone else have any other suggestions for me? The noise seems to happen while turning or anything that would cause the hatch to move or flex. Under normal straight driving its obviously fine.

Thanks,
James
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

James:

My initial knee jerk response to your post is have you tried driving the car with the hatch not powered down to it's closed position? Just curious if it makes the same noises you're hearing with it down but not motored shut. It just doesn't seem like the rear hatch should be making any noise as it closes tight or at least mine does.

You sure it's not the rear of you roof panel?

Good luck with your noise fix. I finally got one fixed on my 2009 after having a new tunnel plate installed that resolved a cold car scraping noise that was evident from around 600 miles every time I left the garage for the first 5 or so miles. The mechanic found some loose fasteners on the outside of the drive tube that retained some metal lines that run the length of the tube. Not sure if that was the cause but something that was undone and retightened resolved my irritating noise.

George
Twisp, WA
Old 05-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts

There are two rubber bumper adjusters at the rear. Close the hatch and see if there are any high or low spots. Adjust the bumpers accordingly.

After the adjustment, close the hatch and try (with a soft cloth) pushing down on the hatch at various points to see if you can replicate the noise.

Make sure all the rubber seals (all the way around the hatch and fenders) are clean. Use some Aerospace 303 protectant on them.

I don't use any grease on the latch (where the motorized mechanism grabs the latch) - but perhaps the "grabber" is making noise where it contacts the latch.

M....
Old 05-17-2010, 11:41 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine had a rattle for months. The loop bracket was loose. Not the latch on the hatch but a bolt holding the loop. Have to take off the rear facia to get to it.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 AM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Im pretty sure its not the roof as the noise did not change after having the roof recall done.
As mentioned I will try driving around the neighborhood with the hatch popped just a bit to see if it still does it. I would assume it wont.

James
Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While sitting in the drivers seat, reach behind you and press on the rear hatch glass just behind the hinge-you should hear your creak. If you do, spray lub where the glass meets the interior seals-then do the same to the outside except lift up on the rubber seal.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
While sitting in the drivers seat, reach behind you and press on the rear hatch glass just behind the hinge-you should hear your creak. If you do, spray lub where the glass meets the interior seals-then do the same to the outside except lift up on the rubber seal.
I will do that today and report back.

Thanks very much.

James
Old 05-19-2010, 05:59 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I had a strange noise in my '07. Turned out to be loose attaching bolts on the pull down handle.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 AM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski
I had a strange noise in my '07. Turned out to be loose attaching bolts on the pull down handle.
I re-tightened everything and it did not effect the noise whatsoever.

James
Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
I have the a similar "creeking" noise coming from the hatch on my 07 Z, especially when backing out of my driveway and allowing my car to "step down" and over the street curb one wheel at a time. That's the only time it does it.

I'll be using all the tips/suggestions offered upin this thread to see if I can cure my creeks.

Thanks guys

Tom
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 AM
jor8888
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try push down the rear end see if its the shocks or bushings.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 AM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 525 Likes on 282 Posts

I also had creaking coming from the hatch on my 08.
I tried everything I could think of; but nothing helped.

So, I took it to the dealer.
They found that the bolts that attached locking mechanism were not torqued properly.
They loosened up the bolts & re-torqued them.

That eliminated the creaking completely.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:05 AM
ricarr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlK
Mine had a rattle for months. The loop bracket was loose. Not the latch on the hatch but a bolt holding the loop. Have to take off the rear facia to get to it.
How do you remove the rear carpet facia?
Old 03-06-2016, 12:01 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 229 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by jor8888
try push down the rear end see if its the shocks or bushings.

I had a similar creaking noise in my 2010 GS that I could swear was the rear hatch. with only 10,000 miles on the car I lubricated the rear sway bar bushings and no more creaking. Make sure you use the proper thick silicone lube as the cheap stuff will wash away. Let us know if this was/is the cause.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:39 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by ricarr
How do you remove the rear carpet facia?
Remove the (4) Push retainers and cargo net hold down bolts, then it pulls right out.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:01 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Here is a pic of what has to be removed to get at the hatch latch for Z06.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:40 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a sound like a loose bolt in the hatch area....took me months, but finally had enough and took it to a GM body shop....they took off the plastic around the glass and hatch area....Directly under the top and not floor area.......and they found a loose plastic bolt....(probably left/dropped/placed at the factory during assembly....anyway cost was 100.00 (but worth thousands in peace of mind and no annoying sound after)
May not be your issue but just saying...

Get notified of new replies

To Rear hatch creaks! Drives me NUTS!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear hatch creaks! Drives me NUTS!!!