C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patched Tires Leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM
lawvette22
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Patched Tires Leaking...

Friends, one of my original front Goodyears has been patched by the dealer (tire removed, patched from inside then re-balanced), but it just keeps leaking very slowly. I have to put air in about twice a week to keep it at the correct pressure.

Can the old patch be removed and redone? Or should the tire be replaced (only 7600 miles on it).
Old 05-26-2010, 08:44 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Have you owned the car less then a year??If so,call good year.There is a retro $$ replacement warranty. Other then that,I'd replace it.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you verified that it's actually leaking from the patched area? It may be leaking in another location.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:18 PM
ZBEE 062
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a nagging slow leak, about 1 to 2 psia/day and could not find any puncture site. Last week I checked the tire bead/rim for leakage and found it with a soap solution. There were three very small leaks, one on the outside and two on the inside. I checked for signs of wheel damage from a pot hole, curbs etc but saw none. I took the wheel to a Firestone dealer and they removed the tire. To my horror I saw gouges on the outer portion of the wheel barrel (inside tire side) near or at the rims in all three leakage locations. Also one other location that was not leaking. It looked like damage from a tire mounting machine. Sorry no pics did not have camera with me.
Fortunately the inside rim did not look damaged, but I think the gouge was just enough to prevent the tire from completely seating. Firestone put bead sealer on and gave me back the wheel. When I got home I found there was still a minor leak (see photo near black Sharpie pen marks). I inflated the tire to just over 40 psia and gently beat on it with a rubber mallet on the side wall and tread area. After the second try the leak stopped! I left it inflated at 40 psia for about a half hour then balanced all tire pressures to 30 psia. Over last weekend we took a trip of about 1100 miles and the pressure held and is still good today relative to the other tires (all tires increased to 36 psia on a 95 F day, back down to 30 the next day).
I purchased the car about 10 weeks and have to assume for now that the other wheels may be damaged on the inside also. Unfortunately this type of damage is not detectable without removing the tire. I think when I install new tires I will consider having the wheels repaired by http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/ . Looks like for now I have dodged a bullet. Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2010, 04:24 PM
ZBEE 062
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

oops, that should be 30 psig not psia.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Epic_C6
Pro

To answer your question yes you can redo a patch on a tire. You should be fine patching it and not replacing it. If the tires had more miles on them I would say replace them, but as long as they are patching and not plugging you should be fine.

Mix up some soap and water in a spray bottle and try and verify it is leaking from the patch location and not the bead.

Good Luck
Old 05-26-2010, 04:27 PM
ZBEE 062
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a nagging slow leak, about 1 to 2 psia/day and could not find any puncture site. Last week I checked the tire bead/rim for leakage and found it with a soap solution. There were three very small leaks, one on the outside and two on the inside. I checked for signs of wheel damage from a pot hole, curbs etc but saw none. I took the wheel to a Firestone dealer and they removed the tire. To my horror I saw gouges on the outer portion of the wheel barrel (inside tire side) near or at the rims in all three leakage locations. Also one other location that was not leaking. It looked like damage from a tire mounting machine. Sorry no pics did not have camera with me.
Fortunately the inside rim did not look damaged, but I think the gouge was just enough to prevent the tire from completely seating. Firestone put bead sealer on and gave me back the wheel. When I got home I found there was still a minor leak (see photo near black Sharpie pen marks). I inflated the tire to just over 40 psia and gently beat on it with a rubber mallet on the side wall and tread area. After the second try the leak stopped! I left it inflated at 40 psia for about a half hour then balanced all tire pressures to 30 psia. Over last weekend we took a trip of about 1100 miles and the pressure held and is still good today relative to the other tires (all tires increased to 36 psia on a 95 F day, back down to 30 the next day).
I purchased the car about 10 weeks and have to assume for now that the other wheels may be damaged on the inside also. Unfortunately this type of damage is not detectable without removing the tire. I think when I install new tires I will consider having the wheels repaired by http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/ . Looks like for now I have dodged a bullet. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 PM
lawvette22
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent suggestions! I'll get out the soapy water this weekend. If that doesn't discover the problem, I'll go back to the dealer and let them have another shot. If that doesn't work, well, time to upgrade to Michelin PS2's!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by lawvette22
Excellent suggestions! I'll get out the soapy water this weekend. If that doesn't discover the problem, I'll go back to the dealer and let them have another shot. If that doesn't work, well, time to upgrade to Michelin PS2's!
just be aware that GY says its RF's can only be patched once. if you find you have a second leak not from the original patch, you may be looking at a new tire. warranty helps defray some of the $$.

Get notified of new replies

To Patched Tires Leaking...

Quick Reply: Patched Tires Leaking...