C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cormier Chevrolet salesman just hung up on me!!!!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:20 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cormier Chevrolet salesman just hung up on me!!!!

I was inquiring on a loss leader ad in today's newspaper about a 2010 Vette on sale for $39,999. The salesman was very abrupt and then hung up on me...

Conversation went like this;

"Hi I am inquiring about your 2010 Corvette on ad for 39,999?"
"What do you need to know about it" (not like how can I help you...)
"I'd like to know whether it is a stick or automatic?"
"Do you want a stick or automatic?" (that's not what I asked and he's already attempting to bait & switch to another car in 10 seconds...)
"No, I just want to know whether your car on ad for 39.9 is a stick or automatic?"
"What's your name?"
"Bruce"
"What's your last name Bruce?"
"Why do you need my last name...I'm just calling to ask whether the car on ad is a stick or automatic?"
"Well, my name is xxxxx xxxxx, and before I go out on the lot and check on a car I need your name...that's just the way we do business"
"I just want to know whether the car on ad is a stick or automatic?"
"Well before I give you a killer deal on a new Corvette do business with you I want to know your last name"
Then Hangs up!!!!

1) Salesman has very abrasive tone of voice, no manners and couldn't ever sell stocks, bonds or a Mercedes
2) As usual salesman doesn't know his product...I guarantee you if you aks them any technical questions they won't be able to answer most
3) Our beloved GM/Chevrolet has a great product, but continues to use 1960's salesmanship tactics THAT DON't WORK!!!

These guys need to wake up in the midst of a recession, after a government bailout, and over 10% unemployed. They think they are going to be pushy about a car that is on ad...I say; WAKE UP!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:30 PM
AlfredMay
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will add another ........... went to the web site for the Worlds Largest Corvette dealer and wrote twice asking for a price on a specific Vette I wanted to order. I live only 120 mile away from them too. Never received an answer. I emailed and later went to my local dealer and placed an order. Of course the salesman there knows little to nothing about the car but at least he answered my email.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:30 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

I would speak with the Manager and tell him of your conversation and let him deal with the idiot. Hopefully someone in the dealers chain of command will follow-up, I would not let it rest.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 05-28-2010, 02:33 PM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed 100%. In his defense(?), he is doing what they trained him to do....it's like a stage play BUT you didn't fit into the mold. Even at that he could have been a little more courteous.....not a lot of customers looking to drop $40K on a car in the middle of a recession.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:34 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by dvilin
I would speak with the Manager and tell him of your conversation and let him deal with the idiot. Hopefully someone in the dealers chain of command will follow-up, I would not let it rest.
you would think so, but unfortunately that would be a waste of time. no one acts that way in a dealership w/o the express consent of the GSM, or owner. if they do it that way, it's because it works almost every time. the best way to act against this is not to buy there, and not waste time following up.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:37 PM
chsmith112
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been there before too with my friend, whom couldn't decide weather he wanted a vette or a mustang. Let's just say the salesman there convinced him to get a MUSTANG!!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:37 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRocket
I was inquiring on a loss leader ad in today's newspaper about a 2010 Vette on sale for $39,999. The salesman was very abrupt and then hung up on me...

"Do you want a stick or automatic?" (that's not what I asked and he's already attempting to bait & switch to another car in 10 seconds...)
"No, I just want to know whether your car on ad for 39.9 is a stick or automatic?"
"What's your name?"
"Bruce"
"Why do you need my last name...I'm just calling to ask whether the car on ad is a stick or automatic?"
"Well, my name is xxxxx xxxxx, and before I go out on the lot and check on a car I need your name...that's just the way we do business"
"Well before I give you a killer deal on a new Corvette do business with you I want to know your last name"
Then Hangs up!!!!

1) Salesman has very abrasive tone of voice, no manners and couldn't ever sell stocks, bonds or a Mercedes
2) As usual salesman doesn't know his product...I guarantee you if you aks them any technical questions they won't be able to answer most
3) Our beloved GM/Chevrolet has a great product, but continues to use 1960's salesmanship tactics THAT DON't WORK!!!

These guys need to wake up in the midst of a recession, after a government bailout, and over 10% unemployed. They think they are going to be pushy about a car that is on ad...I say; WAKE UP!
In this sales guy's defense, some sales managers at dealerships ride sales people really hard, if a sales guy takes a phone call, or greets you on the lot, and comes away from the meeting without so much as the potential customer's name, that sales guy could get big time **** from his sales manager. Right, or wrong, that's what's going there.

You not freely telling this guy your first, and last name pretty much tells a story too. Your not a serious buyer. By the way, the car you called about was a manual.

Last edited by calmtgguy; 05-28-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:43 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

you should post his name and number so we can bombard him with phone calls about the car
Old 05-28-2010, 02:43 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRocket

"What's your name?"
"Bruce"
Then Hangs up!!!!

Call and ask for the sales manager....and tell him what happened

The idiot salesman does not have to go outside to check on a car lol....unless he is in fact retarded.

edit for call that salesman back and tell him you are Harly Earl.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 05-28-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:52 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any number of names would have worked.

Huong Well
Mike Hunt
Hugh G. Rection
Old 05-28-2010, 02:58 PM
weiland
Instructor

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
Any number of names would have worked.

Huong Well
Mike Hunt
Hugh G. Rection
Old 05-28-2010, 02:59 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my strategy is generally to deal with the internet manager. go to the dealers website and send an inquiry about the car you are interested in asking if it manual or stick, what color it is, etc. You will get a response via email and then the internet or fleet manager is generally the one following up. In most cases these are more seasoned sales staff than the barely trained monkeys that answer general phone calls or jump on you when you go to the lot. I almost never deal with the regular sales staff at a dealer - typically they are pretty worthless, have no authority to make a deal, know very little about selling cars or the cars they are selling, etc. Lot of turn-over in that business.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:03 PM
FloridaGrandSport
Burning Brakes

Better yet check jeffhardy.com and you can see the window sticker then you know exactly what is what.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:10 PM
bsr8129
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny i just got an e-mail from them on thier speicals deals this week.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought one Vette from them. For the next purchase, I went to another dealer.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:23 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
you would think so, but unfortunately that would be a waste of time. no one acts that way in a dealership w/o the express consent of the GSM, or owner. if they do it that way, it's because it works almost every time. the best way to act against this is not to buy there, and not waste time following up.

If you live close, here is what I would do (and I HAVE done more than once). Go down to the dealer during a hopefully busy day with other customers in the showroom and rip him a new one so everyone around can hear you. I find it to be very therapeutic

By the way, I have a very loud and deep voice. I can be heard several dealerships away when I get mad.

Get notified of new replies

To Cormier Chevrolet salesman just hung up on me!!!!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:26 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Call and ask for the sales manager....and tell him what happened
As mentioned in a thread above - this is useless - its a sales tactic that the sales manager teaches the salesmen

The idiot salesman does not have to go outside to check on a car lol....unless he is in fact retarded.
No, he does not - nor did he have any intention of going outside to check. In fact, why would he do that - the car in the ad may exist, but he doesn't want the customers to buy that one anyway. His job is to upsell you to something else.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:36 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the car, Call GM Certified Internet Manager: Genaro Valencia (888) 216-0949

YOUR VEHICLE
Vehicle: 2010 Corvette Coupe
Selected Style: CORVETTE COUPE
VIN: 1G1YA2DW4A5102831
Exterior: Cyber Gray Metallic
Interior: Black Interior Trim
MSRP: $49,880.00

2010 CORVETTE COUPE
6.2 LITER 430 HP ENGINE
6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Cyber Gray Metallic
Black Interior Trim
MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE $49,880.00
STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $48,930.00
Options installed by Manufacturer
TOTAL OPTIONS $0.00
TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $48,930.00
DESTINATION CHARGE $950.00
TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE*** $49,880.00
Old 05-28-2010, 03:44 PM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I would disagree in what some of you are saying. A salesman's job is not to upsell, but help a customer find the perfect car for them. If upselling is the perfect car fine, but if they are inquiring about a specific car, then don't try to stear them away from the sale.

It's there job to help the customer, since that is what is going to sell the car. The attitude he expressed is never acceptable, no matter what rules/regulations the sales manager or dealer have in place.

Not to mention, when does normal human consideration come into play. If we can't be civil to our fellow man we are doomed to be at war constantly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cormier Chevrolet salesman just hung up on me!!!!