C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child seat in C6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:56 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Is there a way to tell if the airbags are off?? My wife and I are expecting a boy in Sept.... I was kinda thinking he and I would go for cruises when hes a bit older in the Z.... I cant wait to be honest...
But am curious if I will be able to tell that the airbags are off on that side.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 10:35 AM
Migs08
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it! I had two kids in mine yesterday-- my three year old... and me!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Jim Nebraska
Pro

Child seat in Corvette???? Is this another of those oxymoron threads?....military intelligence, government assistance, tax relief, sex in church?

I had a 2 seat sports car when my wife and I had our first son. The logistics and reality of the situation became apparent fairly quickly...the car was history within 6 months.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:57 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
Is there a way to tell if the airbags are off?? My wife and I are expecting a boy in Sept.... I was kinda thinking he and I would go for cruises when hes a bit older in the Z.... I cant wait to be honest...
But am curious if I will be able to tell that the airbags are off on that side.
Thanks
Sure, the little "passenger airbag off" light on the mirror.

I took the kid when he was ready for a booster. I would probably have done a front facing if I wasn't too lazy to move seats around (I'm a stickler for a proper, tight install, which takes some time to do).

I would not take a rear facing infant for the already mentioned reasons. Even with the light indicating airbag off, I would not want a malfunction, resulting in a minor fender-bender setting off the airbag and killing my infant. Complete, non fact based paranoia on my part. That said, even with the airbag properly off I still didn't want the infant in the front seat (nor in the 3rd row of the truck), although laws allow both, my common sense does not.

By the way, I'm also a firm believer in not turning kids around on their 1st birthday, even the laws in the US allow it. (Europe requires rear facing longer). Developing spines, plus forward facing accident, isn't a good recipe. Wait longer if you can. Lecture mode off.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Originally Posted by foremaw
There is an extensive section in the C6 Owners Manuals on child safety seats and restraints. There's a bunch of diagrams on how to set up the various seats. If you Google "C6 corvette owners manuals" there are numerous sites where you can get a PDF version and you both can read through it. Child seats are fine in Corvettes, the down side is its a two seater, only one parent at a time.
Good reply
Old 05-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be curious to know if any child has ever been injured by an erroneous air bag deployment in a C6.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
Everyday.

It has to be installed with the seatbelt unless you have a Z06. I guess the removeable roof doesnt allow the LATCH system.

A Few notes

1. You won't be toting an infant around since that is rear facing.
2. At 1 years old and 30lbs you can do forward facing and the air bag disables automatically.

3. The car seat itself tends to "dig" in to your nice leather even with towels, mats, and other protective devices.

4. There is a hidden benefit to your wife - When she grows tired of the kid - you take kid for a vette ride - she relaxes - and your cruising in your vette = you still get nooky for kid #2

#4 is straight genius but only discovered when the kid is old enough to frustrate mommy (around 9months and older)

#5. Kid #2 means your selling it.
Excellent post, and yes, I too would not put my own child in a rear facing car seat in the Vette.

I say go for the car!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:28 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I would never put a rear facing seat in any car that has only a front seat, air bag or not. Your whole life changes when you have a child. All the sudden material things seem so unimportant. You will not have as much time to enjoy the Vette. That is why I waited to buy a Vette until I could afford one as a non daily driver.

If the wife is against it then I would hold off for now. You just never know what life will throw at you.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Bleck
Racer

Good discussion everyone. Thanks for the posts! I guess when I have a child of my own I may very well have some of the same concerns some of you have expressed w/ airbag safety. I guess I was expecting the keyed off-switch for the air bag like in the C5. If it had that, I'd probably feel more comfortable.

Lots of issues to consider. I still think the Vette is a good idea, and I'll keep looking for the right one.

-Dave
Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Great thread.

I'd agree that, even though the automatic system will technically shut off the passenger side air bag with low weight in the seat, it's still risky. I know the `05s had a positive air bag shut off switch in the glove box, but my `06 has the automatic system. Oh well.

And, yes, when you have your first kid, you will rarely get to drive your C6 anymore. It's not just the safety issues etc, but also the fact that you almost always need to carry a bunch of stuff around for the kid. And you will no longer have free time to go for rides on your own... those days are over. I have a 2.5 year old... I have not taken my C6 touring in 2.5 years. It's a bit frustrating, but she's worth it! This is the first time I've gone over a year on an oil change and the DIC says I still have 75% left on my oil life.

So I bought a MazdaSpeed3 as a temporary beater car for hauling the child and the child's things. I'm extremely happy with this car, it's a blast to drive, and I can carry the wife, child and big stroller or tricycle etc, plus diaper bag, toy bags, and everything else... it goes well in the snow, not afraid to park it anywhere, has a stellar crash rating, etc... and best of all it costs less than half the price of a new C6, it's cheap enough to truly call it a "beater" car. I'd highly recommend it. And, oh yeah, it also handles amazingly well and will run 0-60 in about 6 seconds, 155 mph top speed, it's way more fun than your average SUV.

For info about my MazdaSpeed3:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/othe...-opinions.html

I am happy to read in this thread that a lot of folks are putting their young ones in their C6. I'm itching to do the same, but due to the air bag risk, I plan to wait a bit more. Around here there is a lot of traffic and a lot of very unskilled, foolish, immature etc drivers... and we have a lot of 55 mph roads with intersections... sadly, I have to consider that on a daily basis, the risk of getting involved in some type of accident is fairly high (thank goodness never happened yet in over 25 years, but anything can happen). If I lived out in the boonies I might not worry as much.

But, I'm sure as heck going to keep my Vette.... it's the best car I've ever owned, and my favorite car of all time. It's clear that I will not get to drive it nearly as much as I'd like over the next few years (have a second child coming soon too! ), but time passes quickly, I'm sure soon enough I'll be taking my daughter on trips in the C6 and all will be well. Ha ha, soon enough I'll be handing over the KEYS to her, time flies man.

(EDIT - before I get killed here... quick note, the MazdaSpeeds3 is NO replacement for a C6, in terms of performance the Mazda is not half the car a C6 is, so please do not misunderstand... I consider the Mazda perhaps the most fun 4-door car with hatch and roof rack out there, but it's a wimp compared to the C6... if you want real deal performance, GET a C6.... period.)

Last edited by Vet; 06-01-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

When Red is called upon to perform taxi service for my girlfriend's children, the 4-year-old boy can almost see out when belted into his booster seat. The 8-year-old boy grins and asks me to put the top down. The 15-year-old girl just grins, and hopes her friends will see her.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think everyone's situation is different when it comes to the impact kids will have on your life and your driving habits. And it will keep changing as they get older too. It is pretty hard to predict how all that will shape up for you right now since you don't have any kids yet. If you are actively trying to have kids right now, that is one thing - but if this is just a future "what-if" scenario, I would not sweat it much at this point. Especially since it won't be your only car. although, you may not need a "ski car" as much any more after having a kid - at least for awhile.

I've gone through almost all the stages and now my oldest is just about driving herself (15 and gets a permit later this year...). At times it was all but useless to have a sports car, at other times it worked. Totally depends on your situation and how much you will be driving the kid places on your own. If your wife plans to stay home and not work, for example - it would give you a lot more opportunity to drive the vette especially during the week to work. If not, there is a good chance you will need to pick the kid up on the way home or drop off on the way to work, etc. Then pre-school starts and somebody will be transporting the child to/from. Things settle down a bit during grade-school assuming they can walk or take a bus. But then everything can ramp back up in high school or Jr. High depending where they go to school. My two girls go to different schools, and both require driving to get them to/from and they are teenagers. So it almost never ends!!

But seriously, at this stage even on the weekends I'd say I have zero or 1 person with me about 50% of the time, so it leaves some opportunities open to drive the vette. But in general the vette for me is something I can enjoy during the week to and from work and during the day since I am in outside sales so do some traveling for work as well.

For sure have the mindset that the vette is a second car, it won't be practical as your only car. And then figure out if you think you will drive it enough to make it worth it, or would you be better off in an ultra performance sedan like an M3, M5, CTSV. I've done all that too and I'm back to a vette. But it's all about how often can you drive it. Which is probably impossible to predict before you even have kids to be honest...
Old 07-23-2010, 07:09 PM
C6XTACY
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good information here. It answered most of my questions, but I have one more.

What if daycare is only like two miles from your residence? On base on top of it?

Last edited by C6XTACY; 07-23-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Bradl1982
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the solution. Buy a used 2010 Vette and with the 5-10K you save buy a beater. Problem solved.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 PM
garytucker
Racer

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
Everyday.

#5. Kid #2 means your selling it.
Actually kid #2 means you buy two 2-seat cars so everyone can enjoy. For us it has been two Corvettes or a Corvette and another two-seater.

Kids and Corvettes...what a better way to teach kids what REAL cars are! I just don't understand people that are afraid to let kids in their cars... They are just cars, they can be fixed...the kid isn't going to do anything that is going to ruin your car.

Our kids have grown up around, and in, Corvettes and other sports cars. They respect every car in the parking lot, they know not to handle cars, they respect what cars can do...I would surely regret not letting them into my Corvette.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Millennium Lady
Intermediate

Originally Posted by garytucker
Actually kid #2 means you buy two 2-seat cars so everyone can enjoy. For us it has been two Corvettes or a Corvette and another two-seater.

Kids and Corvettes...what a better way to teach kids what REAL cars are! I just don't understand people that are afraid to let kids in their cars... They are just cars, they can be fixed...the kid isn't going to do anything that is going to ruin your car.

Our kids have grown up around, and in, Corvettes and other sports cars. They respect every car in the parking lot, they know not to handle cars, they respect what cars can do...I would surely regret not letting them into my Corvette.

Well said! I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:02 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

interesting read. here's a question to add, since the c6 has the LATCH system but the ZR1 has the rear anchor but not the LATCH, would it be possible to install a stock c6 seat since there is no difference in the way it mounts to the car or harness ? my thought is two that i prefer the LATCH and as well if that seat is wrecked by the child seat it won't matter cause it was a temp seat anyway.

thoughts?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:02 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

interesting read. here's a question to add, since the c6 has the LATCH system but the ZR1 has the rear anchor but not the LATCH, would it be possible to install a stock c6 seat since there is no difference in the way it mounts to the car or harness ? my thought is two that i prefer the LATCH and as well if that seat is wrecked by the child seat it won't matter cause it was a temp seat anyway.

thoughts?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Guinzu
Instructor

Although I haven't done it yet (too lazy to move the car seat) I don't have a problem with driving the little tyke around in the vette. I feel like I'm a responsible driver with my child in the car and isn't like I'd be taking risks. So to me, the safety factor is similar to other cars. I don't get why people are so scared.

Quick Reply: Child seat in C6?