C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Mode Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:42 AM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Others have pretty much accurately described how the NPP works and you will get many opinions about how to put it in 'open' mode. The cheapest is obviously to just pull the fuse. Having said that....I bought the M2W kit and absolutely love it. There are times when the wife asks me to turn the 'noise off' as she puts it, when we are driving and talking. I rarely close it when alone but the option is nice. You know what theY say....'HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE'. It sure does sound sweet when open.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:37 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Some good explanations of the dual mode in the above posts. I don't really understand why everybody uses M2W as a general term for an exhaust switch. M2W is one companies name for an exhaust switch that's sold by a bunch of different vendors. There are lots of companies selling exhaust switches and lots of DIY switches.

One company stands out with the best selection, prices and backing; http://sunsetorangecreations.com.

One stop shopping for many types of exhaust switch (except the DIY) from a company that makes, sells and services their product. No drop ship and not sold by any other vendor.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:22 PM
0bypass
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, as a new vendor here on the forum, I want to put in a small plug the Forza Exhaust Controller. Better quality and improved functionality compared to other controllers available.

OK, turning off marketing pitch ...

Lots of guys want to have clear instructions on installing a manual On/Off switch to control the dual mode exhaust on their C6. Take a look at my post here .... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ontroller.html

Go to #2 in the thread. Clear instruction with detailed circuity diagram on what you need to do. The method is very safe as the wiring to the switch is only a ground wire. No worries that if you short it out it will cause any problems.

Steve
Old 03-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by LS WON
What's NPP? Noise Polution Penalty?
IIRC, it's just an option code and doesn't stand for anything.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Something you might want to be aware of ....

The sound from the NPP system is the same (quiet) when the valves are closed when you have the stock exhaust manifolds or are using aftermarket long-tube headers on the car.

However ... With headers installed, the NPP will be much louder when the valves open up than when using stock exhaust manifolds when the valves are open.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:03 PM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Stomp on the gas and bring it up to over 3500rpm and you will see/hear the NPP dual exhaust work.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Jeromewauk
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
Just let that bad boy rumble and be done with it. Unless you prefer a very quiet car, pull the fuse.
Amen , I finally pulled the fuse on mine and wish I had done so sooner. Not only does it sound awesome but it FEELS nicer. Might be all in my head though.

Last edited by Jeromewauk; 09-01-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Soelling
Old 07-05-2017, 09:08 AM
shorian
3rd Gear

Default Collars?

Originally Posted by harry2
I agree, great feature for around $25.00.
The collars vary the mild intensity to anywhere from stock to full wild position constantly, and can be easily changed by manually adjusting the collar position to suit your sound level requirements. I use the collars and the M2W for the best of both worlds. I really wish someone would post a sound video of the collars in action!
HINT; Ed or TALON!
This is exactly what I need. Where do I get these collars and is there a video demo for installation?
Old 07-03-2019, 05:07 PM
Dr. Peter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2006 Convertible, base model. Is there anyone who makes a dual mode exhaust for my car? I have to have quiet when I start the car in the garage but want the sound of the American V8 around town and to make certain somnambulant drivers notice me in time to save my life. My old GSXR had a loud pipe - "Loud Pipes Save Lives"

Thanks for any advice

Peter
Old 07-03-2019, 06:37 PM
agorena123
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRANDY
M2W controller with the hand held remote is the way to go.

Simple 5-10 minute install without modifying any of the existing wiring.

I used the zero drain method.

Got to love that music coming from the NPP's................

Regards,

GSRANDY

Old 07-04-2019, 05:06 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Either way, it still opens at 3500 RPM or more.
I have the M2W switch and love my NPP exhaust
Really? I have mine set that it starts open and when I close it I thought it stayed closed regardless of rpms. I have always opened it manually before I ever got on it thinking it wouldn’t open. Now I gotta go test it
Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 AM
Guyzer7
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

Speed nuts are the easiest way to keep the butterfly flaps slightly open. The collars or hose claps are tedious and in a tight area.

This slips over butterfly flap directly at the center
The following users liked this post:
FatsWaller (09-02-2023)
Old 07-05-2019, 03:04 PM
Move Over
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the M2W as well but leave the flaps open all the time. I only use the switch when I have my yearly inspection done. Don't want to draw any extra attention to my modified cam and headers. One garage wouldn't pass me because of it.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:05 PM
wavy301
2nd Gear

i pulled the fuse a few days ago and never looked back. world of a difference
Old 09-02-2023, 01:58 PM
GregInPittsburgh
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the explantion. Bought a 2011 Grand Sport last Wednesday and I love it. Had 1865 miles on it when I bought it, but the mileage will be going up steadily under my ownership. Nice rumble around the neighborhood, but when I get on it sounds great. I have no plans to remove the fuse.

Old 09-02-2023, 02:54 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

I’ve got the same color/year/GS. Did you check to see if the fuse is even there? Mine wasn’t when I bought it, and it certainly had a nice rumble around the neighbour hood. I filled the empty fuse location with an M2W controller, but with the flaps closed it doesn’t sound like a Corvette at all. It’s quieter than the Cadillac I owned. I mostly drive flaps open.

Quick Reply: Dual Mode Exhaust System