C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Corvette Wave

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Wayne O
If they don't wave that's their problem...don't let it bother you. Save the Wave!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 68blueshark
Hello All

I have noticed many more vettes out since it is warmer. Also, I have noticed many of our corvette friend stiffing the wave!

What is up with that?

I am out im my 68 or 09 and I give the Corvette wave and these people just pass by, no wave or nod, nothiing.

I thought that this was BAD Corvette owner behavior?

Thoughts?

Ed
Only time no wave is when they cant see you. Everyone waves in Northern California if they can see you when you blast past.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:13 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

These "why didn't they wave back" posts seem to pop up every few months and I don't understand the problem. Are some of you so insecure that if someone doesn't wave back you feel rejected, even angered? Wave if you want to, but stop complaining if you don't get a return wave.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 PM
ECV
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 68blueshark
Hello All

I have noticed many more vettes out since it is warmer. Also, I have noticed many of our corvette friend stiffing the wave!

What is up with that?

I am out im my 68 or 09 and I give the Corvette wave and these people just pass by, no wave or nod, nothiing.

I thought that this was BAD Corvette owner behavior?

Thoughts?

Ed
A lot of those that don't wave also don't use their turn signal. Too much effort to move the wrist!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Z51-9
Advanced

I'm a new C6 owner, my first Corvette, and I always save to other Corvette drivers -- any generation. I get a wave back in most cases, and some even beat me to the first wave.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Jimini
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
hey, I resent that

I'm a DD and wave without fail.

However, some people just don't get it.

You gotta just keep doing it.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Lee Baxa
Advanced

I usually get an 80% wave back, but then who can miss a yellow vert. Even flash my lights at the German sports cars. That surprises them. A few even respond back.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

In Dallas I get about a 10% wave-back. Everyone is either trying too hard to look like a hard a** or is completely oblivious to the world around them.

When I lived in Austin I had about a 90% return.

Note: The way people act, mentioned in the Dallas comment above, does not only apply to while they're driving a Vette. I exclude the suburbs from my generalization.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I live in So Cal and I even get the "wave" from other vette owners who are going the opposite direction on the freeway.

BTW, yesterday I got a wave from some women who were walking their dogs. That was a first.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:29 PM
baddmojo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a DD and I try to wave when I can... and usually get a return, but don't sweat it if I don't...

one of my first was a guy in a C5 that pulled up along side, and hung out the window giving me a two thumbs up... I was still in the new owner "grinning from ear to ear" stage and I thought that was cool... my wife asked "what's his problem?" and I told her to get used to it...
Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

We must save the wave!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:32 PM
devilsreject
Advanced

I usually get the wave and thumbs up from everyone but....Mustang drivers....they usually ignore my car, or want to race.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:39 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The wave is a complicated subject for me. I try my best to wave at all of the Corvette owners I see, but when I see an older gentleman Corvette driver, I wait for him to wave and if he doesn't, I don't wave. Reason being is that I'm a young Corvette driver (21 years old, although I look even younger) and I've detected resentment from older owners on more than one occasion, unfortunately. I can recall two times that I was shot a dirty look, as though I'm unfit to drive my car due to my lack of grey hairs. Of course, the same can't be said for everyone, luckily. I know a number of older gentlemen that drive Corvettes that are friendly (my father included) and this has only happened to me twice. Still, twice.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:42 PM
drmrman
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FRIVOLOU-Z
The wave is a complicated subject for me. I try my best to wave at all of the Corvette owners I see, but when I see an older gentleman Corvette driver, I wait for him to wave and if he doesn't, I don't wave. Reason being is that I'm a young Corvette driver (21 years old, although I look even younger) and I've detected resentment from older owners on more than one occasion, unfortunately. I can recall two times that I was shot a dirty look, as though I'm unfit to drive my car due to my lack of grey hairs. Of course, the same can't be said for everyone, luckily. I know a number of older gentlemen that drive Corvettes that are friendly (my father included) and this has only happened to me twice. Still, twice.
I agree!

Im 21 too! But I look older?

Cheers
Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Originally Posted by drmrman
I agree!

Im 21 too! But I look older?

Cheers
Wow, another who represents 2% of the Corvette driver population. Pleasure to make your acquaintance! Kudos to you for looking older. I've got a bit of a baby face... I've been told I look like I'm 17.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:50 PM
drmrman
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Lolz! I occasionaly get the "35 divorced with children" hahaha
Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 AM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Originally Posted by drmrman
Lolz! I occasionaly get the "35 divorced with children" hahaha
Good for you now. Bad for you later.

They'll be telling me that when I'm 50.

Get notified of new replies

To The Corvette Wave

Old 06-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Josh_tampa
Instructor

I am a friendly guy, not anti-social, but I really don't care about waving to other corvette owners, not guys at least. I am 27 (28 next month) and I really don't care what other people think about my car. I bought a car that I love, and if I am going to be concerned with anyone's opinion, it will not be that of a 50+ year old man, but it will be that of a 25 year old girl who I will bring home.

Mine is a DD, and I really don't see much point in waving to people just because they have the same vehicle choice as me.

I don't wave at guys in the mall and say "hey, I noticed that your shoes are from Aldo, I also enjoy Aldo shoes!"

No different with cars to me.

I bought my car because I love the way it looks, the power, design, speed, handling, value, HUD, and because it is a Corvette. Please note that no where In the list is waving.

I guess I will be officially banned from the forums now...

Maybe I'll start waving if someone can give me a decent reason to... Or answer the other guy's question about the appropriate kind of wave... Until then, my hands will stay on the shifter and wheel where they belong.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by FRIVOLOU-Z
f that. I'm an old man and I say wave the old farts to the ground. If they don't respond, they are losing out. I got no problem with your age if you have a license.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Josh_tampa
I am a friendly guy, not anti-social, but I really don't care about waving to other corvette owners, not guys at least. I am 27 (28 next month) and I really don't care what other people think about my car. I bought a car that I love, and if I am going to be concerned with anyone's opinion, it will not be that of a 50+ year old man, but it will be that of a 25 year old girl who I will bring home.

Mine is a DD, and I really don't see much point in waving to people just because they have the same vehicle choice as me.

I don't wave at guys in the mall and say "hey, I noticed that your shoes are from Aldo, I also enjoy Aldo shoes!"

No different with cars to me.

I bought my car because I love the way it looks, the power, design, speed, handling, value, HUD, and because it is a Corvette. Please note that no where In the list is waving.

I guess I will be officially banned from the forums now...

Maybe I'll start waving if someone can give me a decent reason to... Or answer the other guy's question about the appropriate kind of wave... Until then, my hands will stay on the shifter and wheel where they belong.
Hey, if that is the way you feel. No problem. Some of us kind of enjoy the "American icon," or "tradition." Since it is painless, and so much a part of the Corvette experience, don't understand why you're so grumpy!

Quick Reply: The Corvette Wave