C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing
Print Wikipost

Dead bugs on bumper...best way to clean them off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:47 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-C6

Must be the people who sold me the high priced Menzerna polishes lied to me. They said it's one of the hardest in the industry....
Well, it worked; you bought it. Sometime, in bright light, where you can see the surface of the paint well, drag you finger an inch or so accross the surface (gently), and then look at the scratches that result!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:51 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Use Rejex, apply a couple of coats, then the bugs will come off with just a detail spray and microfiber towel.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:15 PM
baddmojo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover on other cars and it does work... use a liberal amount and let it soak in. and they wipe right off, but you hafta rub the tar a bit more...

but since I have Zaino'd the vette I have not had to use it...

however, living in Florida with the aforementioned Love Bugs (they will seriously eat through ANYTHING), I am seriously considering a bra for the longer summer drives...
Old 06-06-2010, 03:04 PM
cee6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rejex first works for me.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:03 PM
mojoman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a product called Auto Bug Blast that removes all bugs and tar. It works well.
New product from Rain X called Bug and Tar Protective Shield. It is a spray that creates a clear barrier to protect against hard to remove stains. If all else fails, there is always Simple Green
It works well on everything.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:23 PM
2008c6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Phantom
Try using a wet dryer sheet like Bounce. What is in Bounce is amazing. Once finished then wash off the residue. Works great, especially on love bugs.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

I use Zaino's detailer spray. Spray it on, let it soak in and wipe. Repeat if neccesary. I keep a bottle with a micro fibre towel in the back storage for trips. It also comes in handy for bird crap.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Bug Removal

Originally Posted by chgoblue
I don't like having a bra on the front bumper. And, the 80 mph dead bug bumper thing is really something else.

I don't want to scratch the chit out of the paint, but they only come off with a lot of elbow grease, which I'm afraid is too hard.

Anyone have a impaled dead bug on your front bumper removal secret?

After living through 72 love bug seasons in Florida have always used this device to remove the dead bug from the front bumper and windshield:

Normal bucket of car wash solution with water and a piece of old indoor/outdoor carpet.

The carpet, when wet with a soapy solution, and the use of light pressure will remove the bugs without scratching the paint.

mike
Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
bugs dont even stick to mine. i just wipe them off with ease with a fine mf towel and zaino z6. I have multiple coats of z5pro on the nose, twice as many as on the rest of the car. tar does not stick either.....
Lotsa coats of Zaino on the nose seems to work fine for me too.
Really warm soapy water on tough spots will do the rest.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I use Rejex on my car and during the bug season I put addition Rejex on the nose every couple of weeks. I use spray detailer and my hand to remove the bugs. Might have to use thumbnail on some crusty ones. If I'm planning a longer drive. I put on a fresh coat of Rejex on ythe nose just before I leave home.

I also use the water hose at the motels to wash off the car(I carry a small pail and my soap, old towels, etc) every evening and get the bugs off. I throw the wet towels in the dryer at the motel so they ready to go at the next motel, the next evening.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Linecapt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Mothers showtime?

Previously I already had a good base of wax underneath. But then a shot of Mothers Showtime spray (in a red bottle) and wiped off with a microfiber towel.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is Rejex'd and I get the most of the bugs off with water, using the high speed nozel attachment. What few bugs that are left, I wash carefully off with soapy car wash and my autogeek lambs wool mit.

I can't believe all the folks who are using dryer sheets on the bugs before applying water! Eeegads...

Your best bet is similar to washing a dirty car: Always rinse thouroughly beforehand.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I just go to a self service car wash & put a dollar in & they come off very easy using high pressure rinse,but i do keep a coat of a very good paint protectant 0n the front.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mojoman
There is a product called Auto Bug Blast that removes all bugs and tar. It works well.
New product from Rain X called Bug and Tar Protective Shield. It is a spray that creates a clear barrier to protect against hard to remove stains. If all else fails, there is always Simple Green
It works well on everything.
Simple Green works on any thing
Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I don't like having a bra on the front bumper. And, the 80 mph dead bug bumper thing is really something else.

I don't want to scratch the chit out of the paint, but they only come off with a lot of elbow grease, which I'm afraid is too hard.

Anyone have a impaled dead bug on your front bumper removal secret?

http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-bug-squash.html
Old 06-08-2010, 08:55 AM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bug sponge? Where do you get one?
lol

Ah just keep replacing your bumpers that keeps the bugs off!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Rednblack
Pro

My wife had (it's now mine - she's not happy) some little purple thing made out of really soft plastic mesh. Rejex first, Zaino wash - purple thing - bugs gone. No damage

Get notified of new replies

To Dead bugs on bumper...best way to clean them off?

Old 08-02-2016, 12:59 PM
NVaughn
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front page news!

Seems like a dirty but important topic for How-To Tuesday...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...-bumper-368126
Old 08-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Get a squirt bottle full of hydrogen peroxide. Squirt the HP liberally on the bugs and let it sit for a minute or two, and wipe off with a clean, soft rag. If its really bad, you may need to do again. The HP with not harm your paint. I have been doing this for years on both my cars and my Harleys.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:38 PM
K7MXE
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
Get a squirt bottle full of hydrogen peroxide. Squirt the HP liberally on the bugs and let it sit for a minute or two, and wipe off with a clean, soft rag. If its really bad, you may need to do again. The HP with not harm your paint. I have been doing this for years on both my cars and my Harleys.
I read all the results and the last one is the best. Hydrogen Peroxide works like a champ. I have a low power pressure washer I use after soaking and is all gone like magic.
Cost for a refill bottle is like 58 cents at Walmart and if you dont get the stuff in a squirt container then get a squirt bottle for another buck. Cant beat that price and it works.

Quick Reply: Dead bugs on bumper...best way to clean them off?