C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing
Print Wikipost

Dead bugs on bumper...best way to clean them off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:00 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead bugs on bumper...best way to clean them off?

I don't like having a bra on the front bumper. And, the 80 mph dead bug bumper thing is really something else.

I don't want to scratch the chit out of the paint, but they only come off with a lot of elbow grease, which I'm afraid is too hard.

Anyone have a impaled dead bug on your front bumper removal secret?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'd say be sure to wash the car before doing anything else, you don't want to be grinding road grit into your paint while removing the bugs.

I've used various bug removers, WD40, Coca Cola, and whoknows what else. A clay bar is said to work well. There will be a big crowd of experts show up soon to help you out!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:07 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If they are really bad, and dried on, I soften them up with a rag and warm water followed by a detailer. Most any will do; I use Ibiz or Mequires. Wipe/spray it on, let it sit for a second or two and gently rub off. Corvettes have the softest clear coat in the car business, so you have to use TLC.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:08 PM
SinCityJets
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wd40
Old 06-05-2010, 07:19 PM
bps999
Pro

I use turtle wax "bug and tar remover" I found it at an autozone. Works well, never seemed to have any adverse affect on the paint. claims "safe for all finishes" and "does not strip wax" on it for whatever that's worth.
The following users liked this post:
pwj155 (09-14-2021)
Old 06-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Trainman-2
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bps999
I use turtle wax "bug and tar remover" I found it at an autozone. Works well, never seemed to have any adverse affect on the paint. claims "safe for all finishes" and "does not strip wax" on it for whatever that's worth.

I have used it too and it does work

If you are planning a long trip through bug infested areas, spray some "Pam" on the areas where the bugs build up. Wash it off each night with soap & water and respray it in the morning before you leave.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:24 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

If you had used rejex, 99%+ would come off with the hose and a soapy car wash mit
Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by bps999
I've used this before, too. Also, you can just sort of drape (a little hard to do on the front bumper) a very wet towel over it and let the water soak in over a period of 15+ minutes. And then use the detail spray, bug remover, polish, etc.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Try using a wet dryer sheet like Bounce. What is in Bounce is amazing. Once finished then wash off the residue. Works great, especially on love bugs.
AutoCutter (11-30-2017)
Old 06-05-2010, 07:31 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

The important thing is to make sure it is soaked for as long as possible to loosen things up. I know my parents used to use fabric softener sheets to get off the love bugs when the season came.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:42 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

I'd quote all these suggestions, because they are all great ideas.

Funny, in the 23 years I've been driving a Vette as a DD, I've never been a car washing kind of guy.

But, once I joined the Forum in Feb., right before I got the LMB 07, I've turned into a very conscious "I want a clean Vette guy".

I've got to say, I love the LMB, but it is by far the darkest blue I've ever had, so shows everything (way worse than the 91 Quasar Blue, and 85 blue).

Well, guys I like the 15 minute rag soaking idea, the Turtle wax bug remover, the WD 40, ,Bounce!, the Pam b4 the drive, the washing the road grit off b4 attacking the bug juice. And, about the Rejex, I have a good coat of Zaino on it, which I would think would be pretty effective... most of it comes off, I think it's those short 90-95 mph impaled bug spurts!

Talk about an incentive out of side of speeding tickets, not to speed!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I have found that soaking a towel in spoapy water and then drapping it over the car so that it lays in contact with the surface for a long period works wonders. long period is an hour or two so that the soapy mix sinks in and loosens things up. Pour more soapy water on it from time to time. With the steep front end on a Vette you might have to fashion a way for the towel to lay against the surface like take another wet towel and put it further up the hood holding the front towel.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:45 PM
nrotik
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple windex
Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

A hammer and chisel should do the job....

(this is a few days of going cross country in the summer at 85+ mph)

Old 06-05-2010, 08:16 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I've used this before, too. Also, you can just sort of drape (a little hard to do on the front bumper) a very wet towel over it and let the water soak in over a period of 15+ minutes. And then use the detail spray, bug remover, polish, etc.
Very good advice! I discovered this method the first time my C6 became bug encrusted.

Before draping the wet rag (I use old 100% cotton T shirts), I go over the area with a California duster to remove any loose grit. Once the rag(s) are in place, I spray them down with a trigger sprayer filled with deionized filtered water, but ordinary water will do if you don't let it dry before wiping it off. It helps to spray additional water on the wet cloths while the bugs are soaking.

Once the rag has set for 10 - 15 minutes or so, I carefully remove it with a wiping motion and most of the bugs come off with it. Any remaining bugs can be removed by additional wetting. I use my water filled trigger sprayer.

Another tip you might find useful when you get just a very few bug spots, is to use pieces of soft high quality paper towel instead of rags to wet the spots. I know some of the members will scream that this will scratch the clear coat, but I have a black car and I defy you to find any evidence of the technique! Just use the paper towel to wet the bugs and wipe with a micro fiber cloth to remove them. The paper towel brand I use is VIVA.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:21 PM
rdm1465
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used WD-40, 7-up, Windex, and Honda Cleaner/Polish. The Honda product can be found at motorcycle dealerships. Spray on wait a minute and wipe off. It works well for me. and leaves a protective coating on the area. Oh also I have heard that a mixture of Peroxide will work. As it will eat into the bugs proteins.

Last edited by rdm1465; 06-05-2010 at 08:23 PM.
TNRC (11-30-2017)
Old 06-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
If you had used rejex, 99%+ would come off with the hose and a soapy car wash mit
Originally Posted by nrotik
Simple windex
Good coat of Rejex and soak the bugs with Window cleaner.
They wipe right off

Get notified of new replies

To Dead bugs on bumper...best way to clean them off?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:17 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

409 baby. use it for the grime behind the wheels and the bugs-- wet paint spray let soak for 5 minutes wash. If anything left on I use Meguires scratch X on it ( any fine wax/polish will do) Has enough abrasive to get stuff off and wont scratch the paint. I always apply a wax of something after to protect the paint
Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

I just wet them down with a wet rag after every drive, then gently wipe them off a couple minutes later and apply a detail spray before the next drive.

I think they are easier to remove if they dont sit on the paint long and dry. And the detail spray keeps the area slick so they dont stick as well.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
If they are really bad, and dried on, I soften them up with a rag and warm water followed by a detailer. Most any will do; I use Ibiz or Mequires. Wipe/spray it on, let it sit for a second or two and gently rub off. Corvettes have the softest clear coat in the car business, so you have to use TLC.

Must be the people who sold me the high priced Menzerna polishes lied to me. They said it's one of the hardest in the industry....

Quick Reply: Dead bugs on bumper...best way to clean them off?