C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower front bumber "curb shield"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
you said bumber...three times.
That's a real bumber. Hey, he did spell it correctly once.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 283 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by m48xhp
oh please no! i seriously despise people who insist on backing into parking spaces. no matter the car.
If your avatar is an actual pic of your wheels, I would never park anywhere that I couldn't pull into and right out of. Nice!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:07 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by JustMatt
I am looking for a body colored or black ABS plastic (or equivalent) "paint shield" that would adhere to the lower front bumper via 3m tape. This "shield" would be form fitting hard plastic about 1/16" thick and would protect the bumber paint if I was to run up on a curb - the shield would scrape aginst the curb instead of the front bumber paint getting all scraped up.

Does anyone know where I can get something like this?
WTF
What tape do you know that can withstand a hit with a curb
These are things that you should be aware of when you become a vette owner. CURBS=DAMAGE which=$$$$$.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:22 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

At the risk of seeming irreverent, might a suggest you get a long bamboo pole - sometimes available at carpet stores - and duct tape it to the top of your windshield or top so that it extends slightly forward of your front faschia (bumper, if you will). Then, using the best monfiliment fishing line you can afford, supend either a tennis ball or the neighbor's cat (or my wife's cat if you can't talk the neighbors into this idea) from the line such so that it extends slightly below the lower plane of your front bumper.

Now, as you approach your curbed parking place of choice, watch carefully for the fishing line to suddenly move toward the fornt of the car. that generally is a sign you are approaching something that could put serious scratches into the underside of the front faschia (see above) and allow you to apply anti-lock braking pressure enough to avoid this obviously socially unacceptable faux pas of interfacing the publically-funded curb in question.

Okay, I admit the concept still needs further devlopment. Like what to do about the whirling tennis ball (or the neighbors' cat) whipping around the top of your car at freeway speeds.

Just a thought.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I am looking for a body colored or black ABS plastic (or equivalent) "paint shield" that would adhere to the lower front bumper via 3m tape. This "shield" would be form fitting hard plastic about 1/16" thick and would protect the bumber paint if I was to run up on a curb - the shield would scrape aginst the curb instead of the front bumber paint getting all scraped up.

Sounds like its time for you to get together with one of the aftermarket accessory manufacturers - and negotiate a deal. No matter how careful one might be, accidents happen and I'd bet there would be a market for your idea. Good luck filling your need.

Save the Wave
Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by St.Char
If your avatar is an actual pic of your wheels, I would never park anywhere that I couldn't pull into and right out of. Nice!
it is of my wheels, but i dont understand what you mean. i pull right in and back right out of my parking spaces.

To JustMatt: really what you are describing does not exist cause it will look like crap. i rececomend something like the apsis splitter: http://www.apsisusa.com/C6%20or%20Z0...20%20index.htm

Last edited by m48xhp; 07-08-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:07 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you are looking for this...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ase-model.html

It is a bolt on, as opposed to tape, (the material it is made from is too slippery to bond to tape) but otherwise I think I am making exactly what you are describing!

Thanks,
Mitch

Quick Reply: Lower front bumber "curb shield"?