C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging Voltage - Low & fluctuates

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by GenuineSurprize
same here. when i drive on long trips it stays at a high voltage for a few days. there after a few city trips and back to low voltage. im thinking of just keeping the car on a battery tender when its in my garage.
This is what I do, my friend joked "I didn't know that Vettes are plug in Hybrids".
Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

One more thing to remember is that alternators are rated at a high speed, not at idle. While the C6 alternator puts out twice what the old GM 10si unit did, both those ratings are at some high rpm...when slowed down to idle, the newer unit may even put out less. Unless you spend lots of time at idle, it shouldn't pose a problem. If you do idle much of the time, then it may be good to have the idle set higher.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:30 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Anyone find the fix for this yet?
Old 10-27-2015, 05:36 PM
JPSlick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Anyone find the fix for this yet?
I don't believe there was a fix because it's a normal characteristic of the vehicle.

When it's hot out and the AC is on, the voltage normally will fluctuate at idle.

However, I'm not sure how your particular issue varies from that.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:53 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

During start up the volts are reading at 14.2- 13.8, then once it warms up coolant 205 degrees the volts can go all the way down to 12volts, don't know what else it could be. New battery, alternator tested out good. Ground wires tight and clean. New starter tighned wires. Lost?? I know the fans draw alot but the volts would usually go up.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:50 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I installed a Billet Tech high output alternator and that solved the problem. Now 14 volts all the time.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by JPSlick
I don't believe there was a fix because it's a normal characteristic of the vehicle.

When it's hot out and the AC is on, the voltage normally will fluctuate at idle.

However, I'm not sure how your particular issue varies from that.
GM had 2 engineers working on the DBS problem.Looks like they did not find the problem because the C7's have the same problem I hear, maybe that is why you get a Battery tender with the C7.Corvettes are not the only car with this problem. The high end Super Cars also come with a Tender. My 08 at startup shows 14.7 at idle 775 rpms and when driving with lights and ac on it drops into the 13.5 range with the original alternator. I'm ok with that.
PS.I did have a problem with my battery going dead at times a few years ago, the problem was the crappie battery cable end clamps. After I cut them off and changed to clamps that I could keep tight no more problems....Good Luck
Old 09-28-2017, 10:41 PM
Midlife08
4th Gear

Default Fluctuating voltage

New development in my 08 base model c6....voltage at speed,(highway), is normal 14.2v.. but when Im in traffic, it goes as low as 11.4, and up to 14.1, and all voltages inbetween, had alternator tested, said voltage reg bad, bought reman one, same thing, had it tested, had regulator, did this through 4 alternators, from 3 stores! All with same result? Bought one from a friend, off a 2012 grand sport.. same thing,(haven't tested yet), but fluctuating voltage! Car has stage 3 cam, headers, and tune..had my tuner check the tune can't find anything, had my mechanic check all grounds, and starter..all good? First start in the morning, it's at 14.4...but goes uo, and down from there? Changed my ground Terminal in battery, had battery tested, tested good! I'm at a loss, and it's driving me nuts! Even replaced the alternator pigtail...no improvement?...any suggestions would be great help!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:11 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife08
New development in my 08 base model c6....voltage at speed,(highway), is normal 14.2v.. but when Im in traffic, it goes as low as 11.4, and up to 14.1, and all voltages inbetween, had alternator tested, said voltage reg bad, bought reman one, same thing, had it tested, had regulator, did this through 4 alternators, from 3 stores! All with same result? Bought one from a friend, off a 2012 grand sport.. same thing,(haven't tested yet), but fluctuating voltage! Car has stage 3 cam, headers, and tune..had my tuner check the tune can't find anything, had my mechanic check all grounds, and starter..all good? First start in the morning, it's at 14.4...but goes uo, and down from there? Changed my ground Terminal in battery, had battery tested, tested good! I'm at a loss, and it's driving me nuts! Even replaced the alternator pigtail...no improvement?...any suggestions would be great help!
I only have shade-tree knowledge of electrics and will gladly defer to the real geniuses here, and there is more than one. But do a search for Dano523 posts. He outlines how to check to make sure the alt and regulator are up to snuff.

If they all check out good, then it seems like a bad/dirty/loose connection somewhere. Also, never assume the dash gauge is necessarily correct. I think Dano's posts address this.

Please post back when you get it resolved.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:14 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife08
Stop looking at the voltage gauge. If the car starts easily and you don't get any warning messages or codes then don't worry about it.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:43 AM
Midlife08
4th Gear

Originally Posted by EVRose
Stop looking at the voltage gauge. If the car starts easily and you don't get any warning messages or codes then don't worry about it.
getting Service charging system message

Quick Reply: Charging Voltage - Low & fluctuates