C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyring to cancel XM,.. Front Plate,... looking for suggestions on either / both

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by vray
It is a racket with horrible customer service. I canceled and then had to cancel again after they sent me more bills. I liked the product but they lost me as a customer due to crappy customer service.

Nothing but problems so I canceled. I can't even begin to tell you all the stories of the problems I've had with them. If they ever admit to their poor practices and totally eliminate the auto renew clause I MIGHT consider activating them in at least my daily driver. But for now they are a sore subject to me.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default What about the 'free' service when you buy a new car

How do they handle the 'free' subscription when you buy a new car? I don't remember signing any papers for XM/Sirus.
I am sure I am not going to keep it with all the complaints I have seen on the forum.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

After the initial free period on our 2009, I got the $77 deal for a year of XM. In December I installed a GM PAL and an Ipod, pretty much stopped using the XM. Since I have heard so much about their business practices, I phoned XM last month and told them I sold the car; wanted to cancel and get a refund. It was all pretty easy, and today the refund check arrived. Amazing.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:12 PM
ORANGEC6VERT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
"...Trying to cancel XM radio, and we can't get XM to pick up the phone. We have been put on hold for hours for several different days now. Anyone have a good idea how to get them to pick up?"

Possibly...start-off like you're ordering new service and then ask to be transferred. If they initially think you're signing-on for new service they'll want to talk to you.

Good luck!
Press your OnStar button and asked to be transferred to XM. You will get much faster service.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I used mine for two years on the $77 a year promotion deal. Paid by check. We just were not using it anymore. I won't have a problem if any new bills show up. They don't have my card numbers. Stop payment/stop service.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
I used mine for two years on the $77 a year promotion deal. Paid by check. We just were not using it anymore. I won't have a problem if any new bills show up. They don't have my card numbers. Stop payment/stop service.
I'm told that their "Terms of Service", which you accepted by signing up, include automatic renewal at the full rate. When your year is up they'll likely send you a bill for the full amount after a couple of months, if you don't pay up then they send it to a collection agency and your credit rating gets dinged. Yes, you may eventually beat it. But not worth the hassle. That's why i cancelled and got the refund instead of waiting for my year to expire.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:10 PM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

XM cancellation: try calling 800-998-7900
Old 07-30-2010, 05:16 PM
greengo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XM cant call you because all their phones are tied up calling me to subscribe for my 2010 GMC

They couldnt believe I wouldnt subscribe @ $170...the dropped it to $110....now $70

Ive got it in my Vette for the last time... & NEVER EVER give them a credit card.....

Cancel payment and I can assure you that you will be hearing from them !
Old 07-30-2010, 05:23 PM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by greengo
XM cant call you because all their phones are tied up calling me to subscribe for my 2010 GMC

They couldnt believe I wouldnt subscribe @ $170...the dropped it to $110....now $70

Ive got it in my Vette for the last time... & NEVER EVER give them a credit card.....

Cancel payment and I can assure you that you will be hearing from them !
I just called them at 800-998-7900 (after wasting time on the regular number) and canceled my account in 5 minutes.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

XM sucks. I just didn't renew the credit card info when my old card expired. As soon as the service stops I am done.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:11 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

When you do get thru to XM get the Operators name and a cancellation code number, you'll have to ask for it. The cancellation code is the only proof you have that you cancelled the service.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM
ospreycorvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are the worst to deal with, they are on the verge of going under and are desperate.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:35 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
"...Trying to cancel XM radio, and we can't get XM to pick up the phone. We have been put on hold for hours for several different days now. Anyone have a good idea how to get them to pick up?"

Possibly...start-off like you're ordering new service and then ask to be transferred. If they initially think you're signing-on for new service they'll want to talk to you.

Good luck!
wish I had thought of that.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Hammerman
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The trouble I had with XM was cancelling not getting them on the phone. Paying with a CC seems to obligate you to an auto charge at the next subscription. No more XM for me ever. When the trial ended on a vehicle my wife purchased I did not renew.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 432 Likes on 303 Posts

I guess I am in the minority here. Have had XM for several years and never had a problem. I ask for the $77 plus $11 royalty fee and get it every year. I call once a year and they want to renew at $145/yr and I respond by saying why should I pay $145 for something I paid $77 for last year. Get it every time so far. The phone call lasts no more than 5 minutes. They do not have my CC number.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:08 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Default XM and front plate issues

I've had XM in one previous GMC pickup, as well as my current '09 Sierra, and Sirius in 2 previous Audi A6's and my current '10 Mercedes C63, no issues or problems with any of them. I'm hoping that continues with my new Corvette, I do like the product, but if you can't get them to speak to you, I'd follow the "don't pay the bill" route, that usually gets their attention pretty quickly.
As far as the front plate issue, I've never had a front plate on any of my "toys" and New York is a front plate state. I had the dealer put the front plate bracket in the hatch when I took delivery of my GS, and I'll play it by ear, if I get a ticket, then I'll think about putting it on. As far as I know, there isn't one available for the GS, ZO6 or ZR1 that folds under yet, but if there is, maybe someone will enlighten me.
Is it just me, or is the C6 front bracket just an ugly "add on", unlike the C5 one that's actually recessed into the front bumper and looks like it belongs there?
Old 07-31-2010, 12:17 AM
LionGS
Pro

Ahh the tales of XM. When I traded in my Trailblazer SS and got the3 wife the malibu (and my vette!) The malibu had free xm for 3 months so I forgot to even switch the radio. About a month later I get an email from xm asking to do a survey because I canceled. I called them up and was really pissed off as I had about 11 months left on my subscription. I asked them why they canceled the subscription. I was told that someone bought my tbss and the dealer canceld the subscription! How the F%$# could the dealer do that I asked? I pay the freaking bill. Was told I was going to get a refund, still waiting......Now I receive a call every day, yes 100% everyday to put xm in the malibu now that the 3 months are over. I flip out on the phone with customer service because of what happened. They tell me they are just a call center and they can't help. Screw XM!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Tyring to cancel XM,.. Front Plate,... looking for suggestions on either / both

Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In case anyone missed it.

Originally Posted by haljensen
When you do get thru to XM get the Operators name and a cancellation code number, you'll have to ask for it. The cancellation code is the only proof you have that you cancelled the service.
Also, if you are paying by CC, upon cancelling service, call your CC and inform them you do not authorize any further charges by XM/Sirius. Because they will automatically charge your CC in what they call an "automatic renewal".
Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The problem is that so many people never even look at credit card statements before paying them, so XM just figures that if they just keep sending bills and charging cards, many will just pay and forget it...
Old 07-31-2010, 01:52 AM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Called XM day before yesterday....took 22 minutes finally got someone to check account and troubleshoot a signal issue.

Quick Reply: Tyring to cancel XM,.. Front Plate,... looking for suggestions on either / both