C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for feedback on Bluestar 2010

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Tahoe Dave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for feedback on Bluestar 2010

I have been following some of the "older" threads on the Bluestar 2010 and I like the idea that it uses the OnStar phone system. I am not currently, nor do I plan, on subscribing to OnStar, so the Bluestar makes good sense.

I understand there were (are) battery drain issues? Also, how difficult is it to install in an 05?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-19-2010, 10:14 AM
jman0110
Cruising

I have a 06 C6 corvette and just got my blue star 2010 3 days ago. I really like it but have not had much time to experience any battery drain issues yet. I would like to hear more about other people who may have had battery drain issues.

It took me about 2 minutes to install the blue star and i paired it with my droid having no issues. The device works great and people can't even tell that I'm really on a speaker or bluetooth when i call them.

If you are going to get any sort of bluetooth device for your Corvette then i would highly suggest taking this route. It works great utilizing the mic and speakers from onstar.

So far the only bad part is that there is no communication to display callerID as of right now for the corvette class 2 vehicles. Also i'm working more on getting a permanent installations and a good place to locate the bluestar since on the corvette i have to have to leave 2 plugs (J4 and J3) in the onstar module and 2 plugs (J2 and J1) in bluestar module.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Tahoe Dave
Racer

Originally Posted by jman0110
I have a 06 C6 corvette and just got my blue star 2010 3 days ago. I really like it but have not had much time to experience any battery drain issues yet. I would like to hear more about other people who may have had battery drain issues.

It took me about 2 minutes to install the blue star and i paired it with my droid having no issues. The device works great and people can't even tell that I'm really on a speaker or bluetooth when i call them.

If you are going to get any sort of bluetooth device for your Corvette then i would highly suggest taking this route. It works great utilizing the mic and speakers from onstar.

So far the only bad part is that there is no communication to display callerID as of right now for the corvette class 2 vehicles. Also i'm working more on getting a permanent installations and a good place to locate the bluestar since on the corvette i have to have to leave 2 plugs (J4 and J3) in the onstar module and 2 plugs (J2 and J1) in bluestar module.

jman0110,

Thanks for the response, it was helpful. I do however have two questions, the communications you refer to is the read out on the NAV screen? Second, is the location, is the bluestar module in the back out of site, or someplace else?

Last edited by Tahoe Dave; 06-19-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: pushed send too soon!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:44 PM
prseasix
Race Director

Here's a tip for you.

Bluestar LOVES Annicot Steel.

Put your best customers onto it.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

GG: 'What's worth doing is worth doing for money'.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 PM
jman0110
Cruising

The communication is supposed to have the bluestar module communicate to the nav screen radio to display the callerID. However, I questioned costar about this not working for me and they said that it was for GMLAN vehicles only and the corvette was a class2 vehicle. They said that at this point they do not know of a way to communicate the callerID to the radio for class2 vehicles, but were going to try some testing. So keep your fingers crossed and hopefully we will get it.

The onstar unit is located in the trunk, in the right (passenger side) little cubby storage in the trunk. You should see that the wall of this storage is bowed out slightly and if you pull back the carpet lining, then you will see the onstar module. The only problem is you have to leave J3 and J4 plugged in, but adding the bluestar module to J1 and J2. So, I have not figured out a good way to mount both devices nicely.

One reason I dont have a great way to store both devices back there is because I cant figure out how to get that carpet completely off so I can really get in there. If someone has some suggestions with this, that would be great.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:12 PM
andneil74
Cruising

I installed this on my 2005 vert 2 months ago and it seemed to work fine EXCEPT there was a problem with the unit staying on after the car was shut down, causing the battery to drain. After several emails back and forth with Costar, I returned the unit and asked for a refund, which I got promptly.

I like the idea of the Costar and would love to repurchase it, provided I had some reassurance from other Forum users and Costar that the battery drain problem has been fixed. To date, I haven't received any confirmation.

Would love to hear other comments on this.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
jman0110
Cruising

I have too fallen to the battery drain. This just happened to me the other day and so I can only assume it is from the bluestar. I am very disappointed and sorry to hear that andneil74 had to return the device because I really didn't want to have to do this. If this is my only option, then I may be doing the same this.

I did however think that if it would not be too hard of a task, I may not mind tapping into the power wire of bluestar and intercepting it with a toggle switch. Then I can manually turn on and off the bluestar. I dont know if this is possible or will work, and I wish I didnt have to, but so far, I have 50 days left on my 60 day garentee, so I havent decided what to do yet.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:10 PM
AntneeD
Racer

thanks for the feedback!! let us know how it works out..
Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 AM
jman0110
Cruising

I emailed Costar and they said that they were working with another corvette owner now and would have a fix soon. So they told me to unplug my bluestar for now.

I will wait a few more weeks, but this does not make me very happy.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Tahoe Dave
Racer

I received this email from Joe at BLUEstar yesterday, looks like they are committed to fixing this glitch...

Dave,

It’s not fixed yet. We got the echo code from the DSP manufacturer so we spent some time working on integrating that. It is on the top of our list as we’ve been getting several daily requests from Corvette owners that want a BlueSTAR – and I’ve been telling them to hold off until we have this issue resolved. It’s probably a couple more weeks as Chris will be away on vacation next week.

I’m sorry it’s taking so long!
-Joe
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

After waiting forever for PAL, a couple weeks for this cool, convenient feature is no big deal.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:08 AM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This looks interesting. I do not use on-star so I will not miss it. I do use the voice commands and might miss those. From website:
Installation of the BlueSTAR 2010 requires
removal of the onstar module. As
a result, all onstar features are disabled.
This includes emergency assistance in
the case of air bag deployment. Additionally,
voice control of navigation
units (if so equipped) will be inoperative.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:56 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I've been working with Chis at CoStar for a few months now in an effort to help them resolve the battery drain issue. They sent me a firmware update they thought would fix it, but it didn't work. So they are now going back to take another look at resolving the problem.

The unit works fine for me, the only issue is that it isn't properly shutting down when the car is turned off, which results in a battery drain issue.

I haven't heard anything from them for a few days now, but I'll let y'all know as soon as they have a fix for it. It should just be a firmware flash that can downloaded off the internet and loaded into the unit via a USB cable.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 PM
andneil74
Cruising

Thanks for the update on the battery drain issue. Although the unit worked fine in my '05, I also had the same problem with battery drain and wound up returning the unit to Costar. I would love to re-purchase it if they can ever figure out the problem and correct it. I'll be looking out for your updates.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:28 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred H.
I've been working with Chis at CoStar for a few months now in an effort to help them resolve the battery drain issue. They sent me a firmware update they thought would fix it, but it didn't work. So they are now going back to take another look at resolving the problem.

The unit works fine for me, the only issue is that it isn't properly shutting down when the car is turned off, which results in a battery drain issue.

I haven't heard anything from them for a few days now, but I'll let y'all know as soon as they have a fix for it. It should just be a firmware flash that can downloaded off the internet and loaded into the unit via a USB cable.
how about hooking it up to a switched power supply?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:46 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like we are getting close... Keep us posted

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for feedback on Bluestar 2010

Old 07-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Puzzled
Racer

Originally Posted by c54u
how about hooking it up to a switched power supply?
That is what I was thinking.

The BlueFusion is another option as opposed to the BlueStar.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzzled
That is what I was thinking.

The BlueFusion is another option as opposed to the BlueStar.
I spoke to the Blufusion peeps and they said it doesnt work on vettes 20007 and up
Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 PM
jman0110
Cruising

Well, it looks like the battery drain issue may actually be fixed. However, it looks like it has been fixed since 8/12/10 and I didn't know about it!!!!!!!!

I emailed Costar about the problem 3 months ago and they said they were working on it. Since then I have not heard anything. I kept checked their website on my own looking at their home screen with all the NEWS on it. Nothing new ever showed up about the corvette fix, so I kept waiting and waiting. Then just now I clicked on bluestar on the product section and went down to the updates for the software and found 8/12/10 an update for corvette battery drain fix.

I am not very happy about all the time wasted because costar did not properly inform their current and potential customers. This was a huge problem for their product and they didn't post it as news on their home page. How ridiculous. Maybe someone from costar will pick up on this and do better in the future for something so obvious.

Aside from that, I look forward to putting this back in my car tomorrow. Enjoy

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback on Bluestar 2010