C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Vibration 70-80 mph....Not Tire/Wheel Related

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:41 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque tube coupling maybe?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:56 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpuli28
Torque tube coupling maybe?
If it were torque tube related, there would be the same vibration standing still, clutch out in neutral (torque tube RPM will be the same as engine RPM). Bring the RPMs up to match higway speeds and the vibration would then be felt, if it was in fact in the driveline. This excludes differential and half shafts, of course.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:11 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Ok...put about 100 miles on it today.

Vibrates between 65 and 86 mph. CLutch in or out....any RPM. For example, the worst speed seems to be 77 mph. I drove it at that speed in 4th, 5th and 6th gear and the vibration was the same. That brings it back to tires and wheels right?

Taking it back to dealer this evening for them to screw something else up.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:24 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

If they had the front wheels off look and make sure they put them back on the correct sides. If they didn't the rotation of the tires will be backwards. That may cause the vibration...........

Mark
Old 06-24-2010, 03:32 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Indy272
If they had the front wheels off look and make sure they put them back on the correct sides. If they didn't the rotation of the tires will be backwards. That may cause the vibration...........

Mark
Just checked, they are on right...damn. I knew it would not be that simple.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by LowFlight
5th gear or 6th. If it did not have a "rythmic" cycle and was just constant, I would swear it is a tire or wheel, but the tires are new and I have had plenty of out of balance tires and wheels to know that this is unfortunately something else.

It seems to be unrelated to gears or transmission as it does it when I throw it up in neutral at 80mph. The steering wheel has little if any vibration that isn't just undulations in the road. It is all in the seat and floorboard, but defiantly coming from teh front of the car.

Though it makes no noise, it feels like a light ...struuum......struum....struumm.
Could it be a piece of vibrating fibreglass panel or chin protector under the car, from something the dealer did while they had it? Maybe the air flow at a certain speed gets it to vibrate.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Trigger Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowflight,

I was wondering if you ever solved the mystery of the cycling vibration. My 06 Z06 is doing this exact thing. It is just as you say a cycle. There is no noise associated with it and it doesn't exactly shake the wheel or anything like that, but a rythmic cycle of a vibration that you can just "feel" in the car. Not enough to say it shakes it or anything, but just enough to feel it. I wouldn't think it is in the wheels, but I guess it could be. I bought it used 5 months ago and I can't recall feeling it then and to the best of my knowledge it is stock (I have done nothing to it, not even taken off a tire), so it is not do to anything I have done to the car. I would love to know what you found out about what was causing it. Thank you for any help.

Chris
Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 AM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

I had the same issue on my 08, the slight rythmic vibration showed up after 5,000 miles at speeds above 70.... I had the balance checked on the rear tires with the old weights still on, they were both slightly out of balance. A rebalance fixed the problem....
Old 09-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Geez this is interesting and sorry LowFlight cause I know how frustrating this can be. I'm still thinking wheel related.

I went through similar scenario but with after market wheels. Turned out to be the new rims weren't seated on the hub. This is not your case I know. Is steering shaking too?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:57 AM
electricfish
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

A "cycling" vibration often comes about when there are two vibration sources having different fundamental frequencies. The two vibrations interact producing a "beat frequency" just as you hear when two tuning forks having different frequencies are vibrated together. I suspect that your problem is wheel tire related and I would remove one wheel and remount it rotated about 90 degrees and see if that changes anything.

Good luck, E-fish
Old 07-28-2015, 03:08 AM
AaronLS3
Advanced

Default Any solution???

I know this is an old thread but it describes my issue perfectly. Has anyone figured this out yet???

TIA
Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronLS3
I know this is an old thread but it describes my issue perfectly. Has anyone figured this out yet???

TIA

I just went through this, and it was extemely frustrating. I had new tires installed and left with a smile on my face. The next time I drove the car was on a long distant trip and that was when I experience the cyclical resonance, or as others have described it, a vibration that comes and goes at about a one and a half second interval - buzzzz........buzzzz......buzzzz.

At first I thought it was my imagination, but could actually see the steering wheel vibrate with each cycle of resonance. I took the car back to the tire shop and they rebalance all the tires. Drove away thinking it was good, and it still did it. The worst resonance occurred around 70 to 75 mph. I took the car back a second time and they made sure they road forced them. Drove the car away and it still displayed the same issue. Now I was thinking I had a bad front tire. So the shop ordered two new tires and I set up another appointment.

The third time in the shop to fix this issue, the manager drove my car down the Interstate and luckily he felt the same thing (at this point - third visit, I think they thought I was an overreacting nut case). He knew instantly it was tire related, but indicated it wasn't due to a bad tire.
Instead of just rebalancing, they, marked the tires with chalk, completely removed the tires off the rims, rotated them with reference to the chalk marks, and reseated with some sort of different substance (not real clear on exactly what they used). Then they road forced them, test drove it, and all was good in the world.

I'm going to go back to the shop in the next few days to find out exactly what method they used to eliminate that problem. These cars are obviously tempermental to wheel balancing. 'electricfish' got it right in his summation above, and I believe that's what was occurring in my situation.

I know this was long winded, but it was a very frustrating experience. I was actually getting to a point of not liking this car anymore (I know, unbelievable). But it was ruining the driving experience and thrill - I'm incurable when it comes to noises and vibrations. Probably has something to do with all the moving parts in the helicopters I fly.

Jon
Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronLS3

TIA
Did you get a laser or road force balance last time you had tires installed? Any chance a wheel got damaged?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:40 AM
AaronLS3
Advanced

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Did you get a laser or road force balance last time you had tires installed? Any chance a wheel got damaged?
I noticed the vibration on the tires and rims it came with, rough gumbys, 90,000 MI BTW, I purchased a set of comp gray double spokes and put on some Michelin tires, had them road forced at firestone, along with alignment just to be sure, but did not fix it. I just ordered new rotors and pads at all 4 corners so we'll see.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:19 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Could also be a warped brake rotor.

I used a new set of rear brake rotors at Daytona for a track day, and after the first 30 minutes session, car developed vibrations above 70mph.

A month after the event, I put the stock rear rotors back on and the vibration went away.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:10 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

I just stopped by the shop today to see exactly what they did to solve this problem. They match mounted the tires, then road-forced balanced them. Match mounting consisted marking the tires, removing them and remounting them 90 degrees forward.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I had noticed a similar vibration not long after getting 4 new Goodyear run flats.
I immediately suspected tires, wheels, rotors and even shocks.
I had the wheels road forced balanced twice, replaced the rotors, replaced the shocks and did an alignment... all with no success. I drove the car for a good 30,000 miles with the annoyance. Fast forward to a couple of years later and new tire time. So this time I installed 4 new Michelin Pilots and much to my pleasure, the vibration was completely gone! I took a close look at the worn Goodyears they had removed, the had some strange wear patterns. Some the tread looked pretty good but other spots were slightly exposing the cord. I will never go back to Goodyears.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Vibration 70-80 mph....Not Tire/Wheel Related

Old 07-30-2015, 10:53 PM
AaronLS3
Advanced

Originally Posted by airmed2
I just stopped by the shop today to see exactly what they did to solve this problem. They match mounted the tires, then road-forced balanced them. Match mounting consisted marking the tires, removing them and remounting them 90 degrees forward.
Awesome thanks for the info, i'll have to try that.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 PM
AaronLS3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
I had noticed a similar vibration not long after getting 4 new Goodyear run flats.
I immediately suspected tires, wheels, rotors and even shocks.
I had the wheels road forced balanced twice, replaced the rotors, replaced the shocks and did an alignment... all with no success. I drove the car for a good 30,000 miles with the annoyance. Fast forward to a couple of years later and new tire time. So this time I installed 4 new Michelin Pilots and much to my pleasure, the vibration was completely gone! I took a close look at the worn Goodyears they had removed, the had some strange wear patterns. Some the tread looked pretty good but other spots were slightly exposing the cord. I will never go back to Goodyears.
I just put on michelins,($1300) the all season run flats, and they replaced the horrible firestone rfts. I had them installed at discount tire and road forced at firestone with alignment($150). I'll have to try the re mount and balance as specified above, hopefully it'll fix it. Right now my car is on jacks awaiting new rotors and pads($222), and my PCM is on its way back from ECS($149). This thing is nickel and diming me to death. Gotta pay to play I guess.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:58 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

You said, "the timespan between vibrations increases with speed"? That means, the faster you go, the longer between vibrations....is that what you meant, or did you screw up the wording?

Quick Reply: Harmonic Vibration 70-80 mph....Not Tire/Wheel Related