C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slippery clutch pedal

Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Slippery clutch pedal

I find myself driving my new GS frequently with dress shoes on. And these shoes have leather soles. Unfortualtely, the way the clutch pedal is cut and stamped with turned up edges on the 4 cutouts, the opposite of what should be happening is happening - my shoe keeps slipping off the clutch pedal! Anybody know of rubber covers for these pedals or any better ideas? The dealer has a $300+ option for full replacement pedals but that's overkill.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

For grip, many here like the Sullivan Racing Pedals. They are reported to offer tremendous grip. Their downfall is that they mount on top of the original pedals so you lose maybe 1/4" of distance which a few tall members have disliked. Another popular option is the Genuine Corvette Accessories pedals which have rubber pads on the surface.

For the Sullivan pedals, check this thread and the link I posted to another thread with pics:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ng-pedals.html
Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
I find myself driving my new GS frequently with dress shoes on. And these shoes have leather soles. Unfortualtely, the way the clutch pedal is cut and stamped with turned up edges on the 4 cutouts, the opposite of what should be happening is happening - my shoe keeps slipping off the clutch pedal! Anybody know of rubber covers for these pedals or any better ideas? The dealer has a $300+ option for full replacement pedals but that's overkill.
Unless wet (I would think, since it never rains here) this works surprisingly well for me:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...00/ppuser/6747

A few bolts and a few minutes and you can see for yourself!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Rick T,

Thanks.

OK, aftrer looking at these I see there is a similar problem: they are sort of convex and the smooth leather sole of my shoe slides right off of them.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Hoonose,

Unless wet (I would think, since it never rains here) this works surprisingly well for me:
Yeah, you give my a thought - this may require some DIY.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:47 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You may just want to change your shoes when you drive your Corvette. Dress shoes, cleated running shoes, heavy boots are all terrible shoes for driving a Corvette. I will only use a tennis type shoe with a uniform smooth rubber sole or a driving shoes like Piloti's or Oakley's while driving my Vette. Many people don't realize how hard it is to use the clutch in a C5 or C6 with the wrong shoes on. They think that there is something wrong with the car, nope, the wrong shoes are the problem.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Jim Nebraska
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first bought my Vette, I quickly discovered that leather soled dress shoes on the clutch were downright dangerous. I also had issues when I washed the car. I fixed mine by buying some grid pattern pedals from CG Racing. They look better and the gas pedal allows for easier heel and toe shifting.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:52 AM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

I have searhed extensively for rubber pedal covers to no avail. I think one of the vendors could create these and make money.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Try wrapping some grip-tape...'safety' tape around the pedal(s).
Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Foxer55
Drifting

budgreen,

I have searhed extensively for rubber pedal covers to no avail. I think one of the vendors could create these and make money.
Bingo! We have a winner!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Foxer55
Drifting

Wayne,

Try wrapping some grip-tape...'safety' tape around the pedal(s).
I've given that some thought, yes.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default I Made My Own Rubber Clutch Pedal Cover

I had same problem plus I found the very small size of the pedal hurt the bottom of my foot when wearing light summer shoes on long road trips.

After an extensive and futile search for a commercial product, I cut my own cover out of a sandle whose sole had a very good grip. I mounted it using the two smaller holes in the pedal and one of the larger upper holes. I cranked on the socket until the bolt heads were recessed into the rubber.

Advantages:
1. much better grip due to rubber and slightly larger size
2. more comfortable
3. better seating position - moved seat back 5/8" for better position relative to the gas pedal

P.S. - you will need a sandle with harder denser rubber
Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 AM
gdaddee
Racer

This is my experimental fix. So far so good. Half inch silicon hose forced into the lower holes, half inch plus quarter inch in upper holes as they are bigger. They have not come out. I did drive with wet shoes and did not have any slippage.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Obsessed
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slippery clutch pedal

I had the same problem almost dangerous driving with wet shoes. I bought rubber mesh type jar lid openers wrapped it over pedal and secured it with thick rubber band.Dollar tree $1.00 works great!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

I agree that the best solution are the "Grid" Sullivan Racing Pedal covers. And they look good. They have very good grip and my foot has never slipped off the clutch pedal and more dangerously the brake pedal. The slightly larger size is more comfortable on your foot in everyday driving. The only drawback is that they are pricey at around $150. I got mine at:

http://www.srpracing.com

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 02-02-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Fiss
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch pedal is dangerously slippery. I just got a c6 a few months ago and the first thing I did was buy a set of pedals from performance pedals. They are a sponsor under custom corvette accessories. Look them up in the for sale section. They go on top of the existing pedal and grip is 10x better. I'm very pleased with them.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM
AddisonD
Pro

My new-to-me (14 days now, so can I still call it "new"...?) Grand Sport is the 11th manual shift vehicle I have owned and driven. I am not finding the standard pedal to be any more slippery than most.

Most of my dress shoes are taken to the local shoe hospital, where I have a thin rubber pad applied to the fore sole area when they are brand new. I've done this for many years and I really like the way it reduces slipping on wet tile floors, and the way it extend the life of the sole. This might be an idea for some of you to try - doesn't cost much.

However, I'll add that I've now driven the vette a number of times in western boots which do not have the rubber area applied, and they work fine - for me. Perhaps it stems from my early training as a native in this state, and being a long term driver of stick-shift vehicles.

Last edited by AddisonD; 02-02-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Slippery clutch pedal

Old 02-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Get those boots wet and try it. You won't like it.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM
AddisonD
Pro

Haha. You may have that right. I may just have to stick with my weekend flip-flops, all of which have those needed, grippy, non-skid rubber soles.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem...didn't know my shoe was wet. I wonder if anyone has had this problem with the brake pedal? Fortunately, I had my foot on the brake and I held the car in place without hitting the car in front of me. I was in first gear at a light and it lurched a little forward before I could react with sufficient brake pressure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slippery clutch pedal