C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are OEM wheels hubcentric?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:12 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm shocked that the OEM wheels are not hub centric. If that's the case then there must be a lot of these cars running around without perfectly balanced tires. Until I got the rings put on my non hub centric wheels, no tire shop in town could balance them properly. (to be more specific, the balance itself was perfect, until the wheel was put on the car and then it could never be perfectly centered, so in effect that perfectly balanced wheel was no longer in balance)
You are right that a perfect wheel balancing job can be ruined by a wheel mounted on a hub that is not perfectly centred. By adding the rings you made them hubcentric Pat
Old 06-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
You are right that a perfect wheel balancing job can be ruined by a wheel mounted on a hub that is not perfectly centred. By adding the rings you made them hubcentric Pat
So what size rings are needed to fit in the OEM C6 wheels? I want to be prepared for the day I get a C6, as I have a feeling my first trip will be to the tire shop to get them put on!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:54 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

That's ridiculous. OEM wheels should be hubcentric. The hub and spindle should be bearing the load of the car, not the lugs. Every OEM wheel I've ever worked with was hubcentric. Nissan, Toyota, my GTO, my buddy's Jeep.....
The following users liked this post:
ART T (09-25-2020)
Old 06-29-2010, 08:00 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
That's ridiculous. OEM wheels should be hubcentric. The hub and spindle should be bearing the load of the car, not the lugs. Every OEM wheel I've ever worked with was hubcentric. Nissan, Toyota, my GTO, my buddy's Jeep.....
yup...if they're not they should be.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Whisky
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

There was an ad at the top of this page a minute ago for a site where you could get centering rings.

http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat=hubcentric

I've had problems balancing my repro spyders. The last place I took it to the service tech said to get some centering rings. I never knew where to find them. I'm gonna try them and see if it helps.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Wheels that use conical lug nuts are lug-centric...they really can't be anything else since the cones locate the wheel. Also, there is nothing wrong with lug centric...all these parts are made on high precision machinery, so things shouldn't be out of round.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 AM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisky
There was an ad at the top of this page a minute ago for a site where you could get centering rings.

http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat=hubcentric

I've had problems balancing my repro spyders. The last place I took it to the service tech said to get some centering rings. I never knew where to find them. I'm gonna try them and see if it helps.
Same problem here---after market Spyders that won't balance!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by HumanVette
My question is... Are OEM wheels hubcentric. I did a bit of searching on the forum, and I found some posts about it and I believe they are.

Only thing that is throwing me off is, I was talking to some one who sold repro and his exact words were. ''Corvette wheels are not hubcentric. Gm wheels are also not hubcentric''

So are they or aren't they???
Hello,

I see a lot of back and forth on this question. Just want to clear things up. They are not hub centric. The wheels are centered on the stud and are lug centric.

A hub centric wheel is centered upon installation by the machine fit over the hub, hence the term, the OEM wheels on the ‘Vette are lug-centric, meaning that they are centered by the lugs making it critical that a proper torque sequence, on jack stands, is followed. Not properly following the torque procedure will result in an off center wheel and a vibration concern. Hope this helps.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Service

Last edited by Chevy Cust Svc; 06-30-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:58 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Boy - hope this settles it
Old 06-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by cclive
Wheels that use conical lug nuts are lug-centric...they really can't be anything else since the cones locate the wheel. Also, there is nothing wrong with lug centric...all these parts are made on high precision machinery, so things shouldn't be out of round.
Maybe there is something about me and the various dealerships I've used, but we've never had any sort of vibration problem caused by the lug centric wheels.

In theory, hub centric wheels may be easier to install properly. In practice, lug centric has been working just fine for me over a period of many years.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I guess the difference would be that the aftermarket wheels I'm running simply had more play once the wheel was installed, so that's why it never got properly centered without the rings. OEM wheels probably don't have that play, so they center much easier. That makes sense. I still think hub centric is the better way to go though
Old 08-27-2011, 05:17 PM
ac6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center bore measurement on replica spyders?

Does anyone know or measured the centerbore diameter on Factory Reproduction Replica Spyders?

Last edited by ac6; 08-27-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fperra
They are not. They are lug centric.
This topic always makes me laugh. Corvette wheels are LUGCENTRIC. They center on the 5 wheel studs. They do not fasten to the spindle by the hub.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72

Don't want to stray off topic here but the load of the wheel is always borne by the hub and it makes no difference if the wheel is hub or lug centric. The wheel is attached to the hub via the lugs which clamps the wheel to the hub. As long as the clamping force of the lugs is greater than the load, the lugs DO NOT have any load on them (other than clamping force.) It is a pre-stressed load which is why it is important that the lugs are torqued properly.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 PM
MINI&aVette
Racer

Originally Posted by WHT
Old 08-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Robls6

Corvette wheels are LUGCENTRIC. They center on the 5 wheel studs. They do not fasten to the spindle by the hub.

EXACTLY RIGHT ... Like it or not ... Corvette wheels are lugcentric!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 PM
ac6
Advanced

Default so the centering rings are not needed..... hmmmm

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
EXACTLY RIGHT ... Like it or not ... Corvette wheels are lugcentric!
If this is true. that the ALL the corvette factory wheels are lug centric then:

The fact that the factory reproduction spyder wheels (balanced perfectly) are swimming (slightly exaggerated) on the hub before the lugs are tightened could not possibly cause wheel vibration at 65-70.

However, the factory base wheels NEVER vibrated at 65-70 and they were taken off and put back on several times and balanced perfectly on the same wheel balancing machine.

wtf

Get notified of new replies

To Are OEM wheels hubcentric?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:19 AM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ac6
If this is true. that the ALL the corvette factory wheels are lug centric then:

The fact that the factory reproduction spyder wheels (balanced perfectly) are swimming (slightly exaggerated) on the hub before the lugs are tightened could not possibly cause wheel vibration at 65-70.

However, the factory base wheels NEVER vibrated at 65-70 and they were taken off and put back on several times and balanced perfectly on the same wheel balancing machine.

wtf
Key word is "reproduction" -wheel or wheels are out of round. Been there, done that.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Confused still. I got vibration until the cars hub was taped and the wheel's bore fit snugly. We are talking a 1mm difference between hub and bore.
I'm having that issue on our new Charger. Has hubcentric rings and the wheels were balanced but still getting vibration. I guess I should jack it up and try the re-tightening of the lugs as someone mentioned.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
ac6
Advanced

Default hubcentric centering rings

Even if they are lug centric. Centering rings should help alignment before tightening lugs, can't hurt, agree?

Like aligning the clutch and pressure plate before tightening against the flywheel using the tool.

Quick Reply: Are OEM wheels hubcentric?