C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are OEM wheels hubcentric?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 PM
HumanVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are OEM wheels hubcentric?

My question is... Are OEM wheels hubcentric. I did a bit of searching on the forum, and I found some posts about it and I believe they are.

Only thing that is throwing me off is, I was talking to some one who sold repro and his exact words were. ''Corvette wheels are not hubcentric. Gm wheels are also not hubcentric''

So are they or aren't they???
Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HumanVette
My question is... Are OEM wheels hubcentric. I did a bit of searching on the forum, and I found some posts about it and I believe they are.

Only thing that is throwing me off is, I was talking to some one who sold repro and his exact words were. ''Corvette wheels are not hubcentric. Gm wheels are also not hubcentric''

So are they or aren't they???
They are not. They are lug centric.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 PM
HumanVette
Instructor

I'm more lost then ever now. Some say they are some say they are not. Can someone tell me what is going on? I need to make sure I pick the right path for my car.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-opinions.html (Post 12)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...riences-2.html (Post 31 & 37)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ck-wheels.html (Post 1)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...g-centric.html (Post 9)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ng-or-not.html (Post 14)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-at-70mph.html (Post 11)
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I am pretty sure that all OEM wheels on any car are always hub centric. Coincidentally I was just at a tire shop today finally getting hub centric rings installed on my aftermarket repro wheels on my C5, and the shop was actually surprised to see that my wheels were not hub centric, as they said all the OEM and repro wheels for Corvettes they had installed were hub centric. It would actually be silly of GM not to make them hub centric, because they would never properly balance if they were only lug centric! I don't know why I waited six years to get those rings put on because it has driven me crazy not having perfectly balanced wheels all this time! Anyone reading the links provided above will probably laugh when they see how many times I posted in those topics! You'd think I would've gotten this done sooner given how often I whined about it on here!!!

Last edited by Patman; 06-28-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

They are hub centric. If the hub is damaged and gets a burr on the edge the wheel will not seat correctly.

Bill
Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 AM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are, the replica's are the ones that MAY not be.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:20 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As I stated earlier, the stock wheels are not considered hubcentric. The are centered on the hubs by the lug nuts. I recently replaced my HRE wheels (also not hubcentric) with OZ Ultralagerras which are hub centric.

Here is a bit of info on the subject from TireRack:

"The centerbore of a wheel is the machined opening on the back of the wheel that centers the wheel properly on the hub of a vehicle. This hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned as the lug hardware is torqued down. Keeping the wheel precisely centered on the hub when it is mounted will minimize the chance of a vibration. Some wheels are vehicle model specific and will come from the factory with a bore machined to match that vehicle. Some wheels are designed to fit multiple vehicle models and will use a centering ring system to reduce the bore size to match the hubs of different vehicles. These rings keep the wheel precisely positioned as the lug hardware is torqued down.

Some wheels are non-hubcentric by design. These are known as lug-centric wheels. With these wheels it is critical to torque the lug hardware with the vehicle on jack stands, off the ground. This allows the nuts or bolts to center the wheel and torque down without the weight of the vehicle pushing them off center."

Last edited by fperra; 06-29-2010 at 01:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OlyC6 (10-19-2020)
Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 AM
knkali
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fperra
They are not. They are lug centric.
I agree
Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

My understanding has been that they are not hub-centric, but lug-centric.

Call CCW and ask them. They are one of the best aftermarket manufacturers of C6 wheels, and they always get the fitments right.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Call CCW and ask them. They are one of the best aftermarket manufacturers of C6 wheels, and they always get the fitments right.
Yup.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

As I stated earlier, the stock wheels are not considered hubcentric. The are centered on the hubs by the lug nuts. I recently replaced my HRE wheels (also not hubcentric) with OZ Ultralagerras which are hub centric.

"The centerbore of a wheel is the machined opening on the back of the wheel that centers the wheel properly on the hub of a vehicle. This hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned as the lug hardware is torqued down. Keeping the wheel precisely centered on the hub when it is mounted will minimize the chance of a vibration. Some wheels are vehicle model specific and will come from the factory with a bore machined to match that vehicle. Some wheels are designed to fit multiple vehicle models and will use a centering ring system to reduce the bore size to match the hubs of different vehicles. These rings keep the wheel precisely positioned as the lug hardware is torqued down.

Some wheels are non-hubcentric by design. These are known as lug-centric wheels. With these wheels it is critical to torque the lug hardware with the vehicle on jack stands, off the ground. This allows the nuts or bolts to center the wheel and torque down without the weight of the vehicle pushing them off center."
A good example of a hubcentric set up is a BMW.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I too believe hub centric, after just going through fitment with some LG wheels.
The following users liked this post:
ART T (09-25-2020)
Old 06-29-2010, 10:54 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

While this is a good explanation of the difference betw. hub- and lug-centric, this doesn't mean it's proper to torque a wheel while the car's wheel/tire is resting on a hard surface. Critical to be up in the air for lug-centric, but still important for hub centric. I'm still not sure if the C6 OEM wheels are hub- or lug-centric....
Old 06-29-2010, 12:29 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I vote for lug.....
Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

They are not hub-centric - and I have found a lot of guys who work in tire shops have no clue as to what it means. Just like a guy who looks at the tread of an old, low mileage tire and says "Yeah you have lots of tread left" without looking at the date code. That tire could be 10 years old and the rubber has hardened to the point that it won't even wear anymore!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:31 PM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

That pretty much answers it....

Get notified of new replies

To Are OEM wheels hubcentric?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
That pretty much answers it....
I guess size does matter
Old 06-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Confused still. I got vibration until the cars hub was taped and the wheel's bore fit snugly. We are talking a 1mm difference between hub and bore.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I'm shocked that the OEM wheels are not hub centric. If that's the case then there must be a lot of these cars running around without perfectly balanced tires. Until I got the rings put on my non hub centric wheels, no tire shop in town could balance them properly. (to be more specific, the balance itself was perfect, until the wheel was put on the car and then it could never be perfectly centered, so in effect that perfectly balanced wheel was no longer in balance)

Quick Reply: Are OEM wheels hubcentric?