C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed manual jumping out of 6th gear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
MARTEASE C6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 speed manual jumping out of 6th gear?

I was wondering if anyone might know why this is happening; when shifting from 5th to 6th gear there are times that as I let out the clutch the shifter pops out of 6th gear back into the neutral position.

Do I need to get the clutch adjusted?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:04 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like 6th is not fully engaging so when you let out the clutch, it pops back out as soon as torque is applied. I'm sure you know if you are pulling all the way back into 6th before you let out the clutch. It could be the shifter forks in the transmission that need attention, possibly syncros as well. Do you ever get any grinding while going into 6th?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:07 PM
MARTEASE C6
Instructor

No grinding going into 6th. This is a newer transmission that the dealer put in because the orginal one went bad from the previous owner. I think it has about 25,000 miles on it.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:59 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Mine does this occasionally, but i noticed recently its when im at lower speeds/rpms such as 45-55 mph. I think the car is telling me its not supposed to be in sixth gear yet
Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

This could be due to a number of things but if the transmission is jumping out of gear under acceleration it's possible you're not getting full engagement of the synchronizer sleeve to the selector teeth on that gear. Loose engine or transmission mounts could be causing a misalignment...the torque tube to the transmission could be misaligned. It could be a worn pilot bearing, et cetera. You might put a code reader on to see if there's any codes. If you don't have a code reader many auto parts stores (such as AutoZone) will check for codes free of charge. With the engine off gently shift through the gears and check for proper 'feel'...does it seem like everything is meshing normally and shifting smoothly? I'd certainly have the dealership check it out.

Just curious...are you shifting into 6th at 'freeway' speeds? I know everyone has their own style of driving but in my opinion 5th and 6th gears are overdrive gears used for sustained freeway or interstate cruising...you don't use 5th and 6th gears putting around town. Considering you could run in 4th gear to 150+ mph there isn't any need to use 5th and 6th unless you're doing extended, higher speed cruising. IMO using overdrive gears at low speeds isn't advisable.

Good luck and let us know what you find out about the problem.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 PM
MARTEASE C6
Instructor

She is in the shop right now and of course they cant get it to do it when they took it for a test drive!!

Shifting at highway speeds between 55 and 70, not for around town. I'm with you, those gears are for the open road and cruising.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 PM
rkoblin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poping Out of Gear

Hey
Mine was popping out of 2nd. 2000 miles on it. Chevy Mechanic said the sinc ring which was made out of brass broke. GM gave me a new Tranny after 5 weeks of being out of service. They gave me a rental car and cash fore the inconvience, but still out of service 5 weeks till things were worked out.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:01 PM
taxmannv
3rd Gear

mine pops out of 6th gear also. at 75 mph.
got a code today, generic clutch b switch. Will follow up.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:13 PM
noz34me
Pro

Older cars what you describe was a bad synchronizer.

I had a VW one time that kept popping out of 4th. I got used to driving it with my hand on the shifter to keep it from moving. It steadily got worse until it would have taken a better man than me to hold it in gear.

I hated that car.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:42 PM
Z16 Zipper
Advanced

Default jumping out of sixth gear at 65 - 75

Originally Posted by taxmannv
mine pops out of 6th gear also. at 75 mph.
got a code today, generic clutch b switch. Will follow up.
I know this might not get to you but should you get mine is doing the same thing out of sixth at 75 sometimes 65 mph thanks for any info if possible. Greg

Get notified of new replies

To 6 speed manual jumping out of 6th gear?

Quick Reply: 6 speed manual jumping out of 6th gear?