C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP Announces LS9 Supercharger Kit for LS3-Headed Engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
It was an APS system, probably one of the highest quality systems made. Your STS, well, that's sorta considered "junk" by most standards. I'm sure you know why if you did any sort of research on it.
yes, my 572rwhp 11sec system is pure crap.

There are a lot of pompous azzhats on this forum.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by JLinNY
Ok, we "get the drift". Why do you keep going on and on about this? If you think it is bad, don't do it. Nuff said
not to be redundant, but the first post in this thread below is why people repeat things. many, unlike the OP in the thread below, don't ask first.

all they hear is: "GM is putting out a supercharger and I'm gonna put it on my car!" and that's what they do. results to follow.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-warranty.html
Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

This isn't a corvette kit, just a ls3 kit. It will bolt onto any ls3 headed motor. It is more meant for crate motors, hot rods, etc.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people who are concerned with the "horsepower" gain coupled to the A6 and/or engine internals, should probably wait till more info is available.

My dealer (because he knew I was just "short" of installing the Edlebrock kit.....called me), suggests GM will provide a tune upgrade, to accommodate the SC, but will have reduced boost and conservative gains....somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-125 HP (much like the first stage Edlebrock kit).

The dealer is working up a price, installed....and insists it does come with a GM additional warranty. What that is, is nebulous. So he is wanting "paperwork" from GM.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by RnLi
I think people who are concerned with the "horsepower" gain coupled to the A6 and/or engine internals, should probably wait till more info is available.

My dealer (because he knew I was just "short" of installing the Edlebrock kit.....called me), suggests GM will provide a tune upgrade, to accommodate the SC, but will have reduced boost and conservative gains....somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-125 HP (much like the first stage Edlebrock kit).

The dealer is working up a price, installed....and insists it does come with a GM additional warranty. What that is, is nebulous. So he is wanting "paperwork" from GM.
If this is the case, then why not just offer the LSA "kit", it has the TVS1900 vs the LS9's TVS 2300 and a single brick intercooler. It is designed to produce 556HP, about 120 horsepower more then the 436 HP of the LS3.

To me, that makes more sense.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-16-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EDinPA
If you think the ls3 it running with cast iron pistons, you may not be the best source of information for engine building. Just saying.

The LS3 has CAST hypereutectic pistons. They are NOT forged. The same goes for the crank. It is cast iron.

The LS9 has FORGED steel crank and FORGED aluminum pistons. BIG DIFFERENCE is strength, especially with FI setups.

The GS coupe 6MN w/dry sump gets a forged crank. But, same rods and cast clay pistons.*
*lol,
Old 07-16-2010, 03:37 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
yes, my 572rwhp 11sec system is pure crap.

There are a lot of pompous azzhats on this forum.

Speak for yourself, oh, I guess you already did:

Originally Posted by Raazor
Your TT = the suck

My TT =
BTW, my APS kit on the GTO ran 10.8 at 133 mph in phoenix. Fully loaded street car on skinny rear tires (can't fit anything larger than a nitto 275). 11's? Oh man..
Old 07-16-2010, 03:52 PM
res0n0xg
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The GS coupe 6MN w/dry sump gets a forged crank. But, same rods and cast clay pistons.*

*lol,

Yes, feel free to go put that supercharger on your LS3 Grand Sport and turn that boost to 20 PSI!! It'll hold!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:34 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

LS9 vs. LS3

LS9 = forged pistons

LS3 = cast pistons

LS9 = lower compression ratio

LS3 = higher compression ratio (which is bad for FI)

LS9 = 20% stronger block, main bearing webs & redesigned windows

LS3 = has a weaker block

LS9 = forged steel main bearing caps which are doweled in place

LS3 = has powered steel main bearing caps

LS9 = has oil squirters to direct oil on the bottom of the pistons to cool the pistons.

LS3 = does NOT

LS9 =forged titanium rods

LS3 = forged steel rods

LS9 = rods are .160" shorter then the rods in the LS3 - there is more meat above the wrist pin in the piston to give more strength and improve ring sealing.

LS9 = rods use high strength rod bolts from the LS7, not in the LS3
Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by cthusker
Good info.. I'm going with the Edlebrock smaller boost system and will only increase about 150 hp max. So I'm hoping things will hang together pretty well when it's finished..... Thanks..

Cool deal Craig !!!

Can't wait to hear about it
Old 07-17-2010, 07:02 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
LS9 vs. LS3

LS9 = forged pistons

LS3 = cast pistons

LS9 = lower compression ratio

LS3 = higher compression ratio (which is bad for FI)

LS9 = 20% stronger block, main bearing webs & redesigned windows

LS3 = has a weaker block

LS9 = forged steel main bearing caps which are doweled in place

LS3 = has powered steel main bearing caps

LS9 = has oil squirters to direct oil on the bottom of the pistons to cool the pistons.

LS3 = does NOT

LS9 =forged titanium rods

LS3 = forged steel rods

LS9 = rods are .160" shorter then the rods in the LS3 - there is more meat above the wrist pin in the piston to give more strength and improve ring sealing.

LS9 = rods use high strength rod bolts from the LS7, not in the LS3
For as much time as you have spent posting in threads about something that you obviously do not want, It would be nice if you actually provided accurate information.

Perhaps you misspoke when you thought pistons were make of cast iron, ok.

But all 6.2 blocks have benefitted form the development of the ls9. The all use the improved castings.

Quote:
The new LS9 exceeds the LS7 in every area except one, displacement. The main reason for the drop in displacement was strength. GM's plan for the LS9 included a supercharger and they felt the 427 cubic-inch block wasn't strong enough to reliably hold up to the intended boost. Instead, a beefed up 6.2-liter LS3 block will be used. Starting in '09, all 6.2L blocks, including truck blocks, will feature this 20 percent increase in bulkhead strength. According to Tom Reed, of GM, "All the blocks benefited in '08 with a 20 percent increase because of the LS3 improvements. Therefore, since 2007 the bulkhead area strength has increased 40 percent. Something to keep in mind when the 6.2L blocks start showing up in the bone yards, way down the road." The 319-T5 aluminum block, with forged steel bearing caps, will also be deck plated, bored, and honed. The LS9 will also feature eight block-mounted oil squirters. These squirters will keep chamber temps down and lessen drivetrain noise. This is the first time GM has used oil squirters in a small-block application. By sharing the casting across the LS3 line, costs will be kept down.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/hot...ls9/index.html
Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EDinPA
For as much time as you have spent posting in threads about something that you obviously do not want, It would be nice if you actually provided accurate information.

Perhaps you misspoke when you thought pistons were make of cast iron, ok.

But all 6.2 blocks have benefitted form the development of the ls9. The all use the improved castings.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/hot...ls9/index.html
Not all LS3 engines were built with the stronger block, so he is correct, and he is incorrect, depending on which year the LS3 block was produced. The fact is, there were 27,579 2008 LS3 corvettes produced(weaker block) and 22,179 2009 & 2010 LS3 Corvettes produced (stronger block). So, the chance of someone having the weaker block is greater then someone having the stronger block. You didn't "actually provided accurate information" either.

The point was, you can't take any old LS3 engine and slap a LS9 supercharger on it and expect the block to be as strong. Only 45% of the C6 LS3 engines have the stronger block, but you still don't have the forged steel main bearing caps.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-17-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good grief. This just shows what people think they are buying in a GS model. I used to think buyers erroneously thought they were just "beating the system" by getting a Z06 for a lot less money than those suckers who bought real Z06s but paid more.

Now it seems that some people think the GS isn't almost a "Z06" it's almost a ZR1.....

All the posts here tell the story. Just as if you drop in a LS7 into a GS you won't be even close to a Z06....if you drop a SC on top an LS3 in a GS you will be even farther away from a real ZR1.

Amazing....simply amazing.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:31 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Not all LS3 engines were built with the stronger block, so he is correct, and he is incorrect, depending on which year the LS3 block was produced. The fact is, there were 27,579 2008 LS3 corvettes produced(weaker block) and 22,179 2009 & 2010 LS3 Corvettes produced (stronger block). So, the chance of someone having the weaker block is greater then someone having the stronger block. You didn't "actually provided accurate information" either.

The point was, you can't take any old LS3 engine and slap a LS9 supercharger on it and expect the block to be as strong. Only 45% of the C6 LS3 engines have the stronger block, but you still don't have the forged steel main bearing caps.

Yes, you are correct. That is spelled out in detail in the article quoted as part of that post.

If the article was not clear enough then certainly it should be reasserted that there was absolutely no time machine effect and the ls9, however cool it is, was not able to bend the universe enough to recast engine blocks made before it's development.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:55 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

My point was simple. Slapping on the new LS9 supercharger onto an LS3 will NOT make your engine an LS9. There are many differences in the internal strengths that an LS9 has over an LS3.

You are putting a FI setup on an engine (LS3) that was not designed for FI. What you get is a time bomb.

That is why GMPP is NOT offering a warranty on the drivetrain when you buy the LS9 supercharger setup.

I guarantee you that months from now when you visit the FI forum here on this site, you will be reading of all the disasters of people who installed this setup on their LS3 and experienced grenaded engines. Some of these same people will try and get GM to cover their engines under warranty.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:04 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Interesting. So 2009+ LS3 blocks are 20% stronger than a 2008 LS3 block. This would make the 2005-2007 LS2 blocks 40% WEAKER than the 2009+ LS3 blocks. Am I following correctly?

My question is if 2009+ LS3 blocks have the 8 block-mounted oil squirters?

What the 2009+ LS3 blocks still do NOT have is the same internal parts of an LS9 (forged titanium rods, forged steel cranks - besides 2011+ manual GS, forged pistons, forged bearings)

Last edited by LBear; 07-17-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LBear

Interesting. So 2009+ LS3 blocks are 20% stronger than a 2008 LS3 block. This would make the 2005-2007 LS2 blocks 40% WEAKER than the 2009+ LS3 blocks. Am I following correctly?

My question is if 2009+ LS3 blocks have the 8 block-mounted oil squirters?

What the 2009+ LS3 blocks still do NOT have is the same internal parts of an LS9 (forged titanium rods, forged steel cranks - besides 2011+ manual GS, forged pistons, forged bearings)
The LS3 does not have the piston squirters like the LS9. Because of the increased flow of oil required by the squirters, the LS9 has a 32.3 gallon-per-minute oil pump. This is up from the 27.1 gpm of the LS7. Contrary to what many believe, the increase in oil volume from 8.5 quarts in the late 2008 Z06 to the 10.5 qt in the 2009+ Z06 was not because the Z06 needed the extra volume, it was because the ZR1 needed the extra reservoir volume to prevent oil starvation because the higher capacity oil pump that the ZR1 has. The Z06, and now the dry sump GS, get the 10.5 qt reservoir as it is cheaper to use one size then a multiple of sizes because of the low production numbers. I'm not sure, but all three(LS3 dry sump, LS7 and LS9) may get the higher volume oil pump(32.3gpm), but I don't think so. Standardization and economy of scale.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-17-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP Announces LS9 Supercharger Kit for LS3-Headed Engines

Old 07-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Shdwops
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrankTank
ZR1 folks are gonna be pissed.. although there still alot of components to it that a standard GS wont have , like all the weight savings and carbon fiber parts,,but you can order those too. I have a feeling the ZR1 will be done after the C6 run is over, that is why GM is doing this.

You guys who want to upgrade with this kit, just remember as many of you know, modding is a domino effect..you slap on 120hp+ extra that the drive train of the standard GS was not mean to handle, better start saving for a Trans, diff and half-shafts, cluthc etc etc... Then there is the tune and how that is handled and how it effects the warranty.
Sorry to revive an oldish thread...
But, with the edelbrock e-force, you can buy a warranty through edelbrock for up to 5yrs/100,000mi (original factory warranty has to be in effect....thank god i bought the extended warranty on mine )
For $1,100 you get $20k in coverage; $16,000 for engine and $4,000 for transmission & diff...so its a hell of a deal. only conditions are that you need to have a valid GM warranty, installed by a ASE certified mechanic, and you MUST use their tune that they include...fine by me

Real world cost for this kit installed (for my '12 Base Coupe)
$11k with 5/100000 warranty.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...e-warranty.pdf

ZR1 Brake Kit $9,000
http://www.corvettemods.com/GM-Genui...13_p_6361.html
(Grand Sport Brakes for quite a bit less....Only $1500
http://www.corvettemods.com/GM-Grand...13_p_6169.html)

Body Kit of your choice (to accomodate larger wheels/tires and the bigger brakes) $5000-10000 installed
http://www.corvettemods.com/C6-05-13...it_p_8868.html
http://www.corvettemods.com/C6-Corve...it_p_6175.html

So, for around $30k (or as low as $20k) you can turn your LS3 into a 600+hp mean machine with zr1 carbon ceramic brakes that will look and perform as like that $100K+ zr1...WITH WARRANTY (Paid under $50k for my 2012...+$30k = <$80,000 for that much performance!!!

Now if only i could just save the money a little bit faster =P...about 1/4 the way there =(

Last edited by Shdwops; 07-27-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: included link for warranty
Old 05-20-2014, 08:10 AM
Scott Wagner
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there I have an 2013 GS that I am considering the LS9 ZR1 supercharger. I am looking for as much info as I can get before I start throwing money around. I have theZR1 Hood and I know it will cost more... I am going for the look mostly. How has it worked on others and is there any references on the builds? Any info would help, thanks

Originally Posted by PartsTaxi.com
I contact GM engineering and got the complete parts list of this kit. It is 63 part numbers and very inclusive of every nut bolt etc you will need. I have 3 ordered and on the way to my warehouse. 1 of which is already sold. MSRP on the kit is $7500, we will be selling for $6698.30. I'll be posting a "for sale" thread within the hour with the part number information that I have. As mentioned above, this will be a warrantied part. My understanding is that it doesn't have to be installed by the dealer. Same thing as if joe blow shop down the road buys an engine to put in their customers car, and the engine blows, I send them another engine and claim a part only warranty, no labor. *BUT* that is my assumption before the official press release.

Thanks
Kevin
www.PartsTaxi.com
Old 12-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Streetshark07
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get one of these and you have to also get a high rise hood. Get the Edelbrock S/C and it will fit under any C6 hood. $2,000-$3,000 savings, right there, by using your stock hood..
Hi, to fit an Edelbrock SC (as you refer to here), what will I need to change about my standard 6.2L C6 engine. I saw a long time ago that the list is short, BUT I LOST THAT.
Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: GMPP Announces LS9 Supercharger Kit for LS3-Headed Engines