C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove cigarette lighter plug from console?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 AM
fourseventeen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove cigarette lighter plug from console?

I am trying to remove my console and all the components so I can take the parts to paint shop on Monday morning. I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the cigarette lighter housing out of the center console (the aux plug under the center console lid). I have the console all out and every part is out of the console with exception of this damn lighter housing. Anyone have any advice on how this thing comes out?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by fourseventeen
I am trying to remove my console and all the components so I can take the parts to paint shop on Monday morning. I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the cigarette lighter housing out of the center console (the aux plug under the center console lid). I have the console all out and every part is out of the console with exception of this damn lighter housing. Anyone have any advice on how this thing comes out?

I've never taken one out but I can say this: I was reading up on the threads regarding PAL (personal audio link for Ipods) device's and in the installation instructions it has something about removing the cigarette lighter and AUX plug in console....maybe check that out for some clues if nobody has any info otherwise....good luck

oh yeah, when ya find out, post it soo's we can all see it....that's something I might want to know down the road.....I know I will be owning my C6 'Z for the rest of my life so I want to know everything I can learn about it....thanks

Last edited by tim414; 07-18-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:55 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I've done this on my 05 and its a real PITA. The problem is that the piece you need to disconnect the lighter with is facing the underside of the console and your finger wont fit in there. You need to get an angled pick tool (they come in sets and cost like $5 at homedepot) and use it to pull up in the connector locking tab for the lighter while pulling it apart. It may take some manuvering, but it'll come off. I replaced my console with the 08 which they redesigned the lighter connector to me more accesible. Whoever designed the 05 lighter piece should have been fired.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:04 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i slightly trimmed one of the lighter tabs to get it out, after you get the console painted, re-insert 180 degree rotated so the harness is easier to mate up
Old 07-18-2010, 01:11 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have everything else disconnected get on your knees and hold the console up as high as possible. You should be able to see the tab (same type of tab on the butt lighter by the ashtray) get a very small thin screwdriver push it in the side with the tab and gently pry it out. Its a real PITA but you'll get it done.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:16 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Go to this site, it has full instructions with picts. http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm
Ray has done a great job with these informative intructions.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:12 PM
fourseventeen
Racer

Guys...I have the console out of the car. Its not the wire connection I need off...that was easy.

I am trying to get the actual aux power/lighter socket out of the console so my painter has a console with no parts still in it.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Bunker
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St, Jude Donor '07-'08-'12, '14-'15

GM has a tool, J42059 Cigarette Lighter Remover, that is a flat handled t-shaped tool. The long t-shaped end goes inside the lighter and one end of the "t" is placed in the tab window, then the other end is angled down into the opposite tab window. The lighter can then be pulled straight out of its mounting hole. If you can picture what I'm describing maybe you can duplicate it without the tool. I have the tool and can email a picture if that helps also.
The following users liked this post:
Mike McManus (03-01-2024)
Old 07-18-2010, 05:09 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Bunker
GM has a tool, J42059 Cigarette Lighter Remover, that is a flat handled t-shaped tool. The long t-shaped end goes inside the lighter and one end of the "t" is placed in the tab window, then the other end is angled down into the opposite tab window. The lighter can then be pulled straight out of its mounting hole. If you can picture what I'm describing maybe you can duplicate it without the tool. I have the tool and can email a picture if that helps also.
Typical bone-headed detail engineering by Chevy. If they just inserted the socket rotated 180 degrees originally, this thread would not be necessary. Like the poster above, I rotated mine while it was out for the Parrot and MGW install, so it would be easier if I ever went back in.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:23 PM
fourseventeen
Racer

yeah why the hell would i need a special tool to take out a cig lighter! Anyone used any tools that a typical mechanic would have to get this out without breaking anything? Goes to paint in the morning...I have every part out of the car ready to go to paint except this damn aug power outlet. cant send the console to paint with it still installed.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:40 PM
fourseventeen
Racer

Its out. what a PITA! I busted off one of the retaining clips that hold it in but whatever. Ill just have to replace it or see if I can fix the tab.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:00 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Grats! Glad to see you got it out!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 PM
fourseventeen
Racer

LOL thanks
Old 10-18-2016, 09:34 PM
ForeV
6th Gear

LOL thanks
Well ... just go done the removal as well. Found out that if you have a needle plier, you can force in the two metal tabs enough to push the part out. Worked for me.
Cheers

Last edited by ForeV; 10-18-2016 at 09:35 PM. Reason: typo

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove cigarette lighter plug from console?

Quick Reply: How to remove cigarette lighter plug from console?