C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Whom at GM shoud I write to about LOUSY dealer service?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:50 AM
MTM2005C6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To Whom at GM shoud I write to about LOUSY dealer service?

In late June I brought my '05 to the dealer for the steering column wire harness recall.

After inspection, they said the car was a candidate and that the required part (clip) had been ordered.

About a week later the parts department called, told me the part was in and that I should schedule an appointment to have it installed, which I did.

The subsequent trip back to the dealer took about 30 minutes. They said everything had been taken care of.

This last Monday I got another call from the parts department to come get my part......the one they were supposed to install!

Figuring I had to check this out, I got a copy of the recall notice, followed the directions and discovered that the clip had not been installed.

Armed with the recall notice, the reciept claiming the recall had been performed and pictures of the "clipless" steering column, I confronted the service manager, who after displaying alot of "calm and concern", told me the clip had not been installed because my vin was not in range. The range for 2005 Vettes is 55100001 thru 55137341 and my vin is 55120xxx.

Having sucessfully completed 3rd grade math, I could clearly see that the vin WAS in range and he was just trying to cover up an attempted rip-off (either that or both he and the mechanic failed 3rd grade math).

I installed the clip myself.

I am tired of shoddy and insulting service and need to complain to someone (knowing full well they will do nothing). So the question is: to whom do I write regarding a dealership in Nassau county on Long Island, NY?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:49 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the good it will do, you may as well write to Santa Claws. Ask to have them put on the naughty list.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:11 AM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That actually sounds like better-than-average GM service. Be thankful they didn't keep your car for a week, scratch up the paint and interior, or try to convince you that your brakes are bad an need replacing for the low price of $1600.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:24 AM
78PC
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Check your owner's manual

I had the same type of incident with the same recall. I took the car to one dealership after the "service active handling" message appeared in my DIC. I was told it needed the fix per the TSB and after a day at the shop I was sent on my way. A couple of weeks later I ended up with the same message. This time I went to a different dealership and the serive tech fixed the problem while I stood there beside my car. He installed the clip per the TSB. The other dealership did not install the clip as the workorder stated. The prior dealership apparently just reset the DIC and sent me on my way. It's ashame dealerships can't be trusted.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:06 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

There is a GM service rep who monitors this forum. Perhaps he will step up and assist you with following up on this.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:27 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by foremaw
There is a GM service rep who monitors this forum. Perhaps he will step up and assist you with following up on this.
I doubt it. The service has already been done....by the owner. Geoff Allen/His role is to interface when the service is not being done, taking too long, etc.

Now, if he were an 'ombudsman' that would be different.

I think in this day of email and voice mail, nothing still succeeds like a written letter on paper. I suggest to OP that he do it. Where to? GM is a good place to start, Office of the COO or President. That would be Mark Reuss.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/officers.jsp
Old 07-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

US tax payers own GM, give this guy a try.....
Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Ettev01
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey! You may have installed it yourself, but the dealership has notes that "they" installed it. I guess if anything goes wrong you have proof it was installed by them!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM, (SOME) GM dealerships and GM customer service is a waste of time. When you have a real problem, they don't give a Sh*^*t about you. Warranty or not, it doesn't matter. One unfortunate fact about owning the Corvette.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:56 AM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

Wonder it the dealership will send you a customer satisfaction survey letter to fill out??? I get one from my dealership after warr. work performed. They say to bring it in 100% satisfied for free oil change. You can call the 800 # in back of owners manual, but really write letter to CEO, Mr. Whitaker in Detroit and the zone manager for Chev in your area. They will not be happy with this dealer I feel.
I had a dealer say they performed the column lock recall on a 99 auto. Column still locked after they did work. Took it back and asked if it had been done. They said GM sent the wrong kit. I found out an electrical tech had done the work and he didn't know what he was doing ( couldn't read directions I suppose).
Old 07-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Find out if the dealership billed GM for the work they didn't do. That would be the approach to take IMHO.

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
US tax payers own GM, give this guy a try.....

He seized GM and essentially gave the company to his favored constituency...tell Him about it. If the dealership, in fact, billed GM for the work never performed, I suggest you focus on that. When all the independent dealerships are seized and run by the government we'll have better service at a lower price....that's just the way big government works.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Daniel Redfoot
Racer

Originally Posted by LMBTom
That actually sounds like better-than-average GM service. Be thankful they didn't keep your car for a week, scratch up the paint and interior, or try to convince you that your brakes are bad an need replacing for the low price of $1600.

And being an 05, park it NOT in reverse and so kill your new $300 Optima yellow top battery .

BTDT
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 PM
ECV
Advanced

Default NHTSA rcall repair falsefication

Originally Posted by PoloGreen1992C4
In late June I brought my '05 to the dealer for the steering column wire harness recall.

After inspection, they said the car was a candidate and that the required part (clip) had been ordered.

About a week later the parts department called, told me the part was in and that I should schedule an appointment to have it installed, which I did.

The subsequent trip back to the dealer took about 30 minutes. They said everything had been taken care of.

This last Monday I got another call from the parts department to come get my part......the one they were supposed to install!

Figuring I had to check this out, I got a copy of the recall notice, followed the directions and discovered that the clip had not been installed.

Armed with the recall notice, the reciept claiming the recall had been performed and pictures of the "clipless" steering column, I confronted the service manager, who after displaying alot of "calm and concern", told me the clip had not been installed because my vin was not in range. The range for 2005 Vettes is 55100001 thru 55137341 and my vin is 55120xxx.

Having sucessfully completed 3rd grade math, I could clearly see that the vin WAS in range and he was just trying to cover up an attempted rip-off (either that or both he and the mechanic failed 3rd grade math).

I installed the clip myself.

I am tired of shoddy and insulting service and need to complain to someone (knowing full well they will do nothing). So the question is: to whom do I write regarding a dealership in Nassau county on Long Island, NY?
http://www.nhtsa.gov/

Let these guys know, they seem to get more attention from GM than you or I would. Believe me they WILL follow up if you report falsification of a recall repair!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by sunset-c6
us tax payers own gm, give this guy a try.....
nss
Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

If it makes you feel good to write a letter, do so. I doubt you will get much satisfaction but its worth a try. And like I said, if if makes you feel better, you should do it.

Save the Wave
Old 07-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by ECV
http://www.nhtsa.gov/

Let these guys know, they seem to get more attention from GM than you or I would. Believe me they WILL follow up if you report falsification of a recall repair!
Sounds like a case of fraud to me. Should have saved the phone message. GM surely doesn't take kindly to dealers submitting false warranty claims any more than if you submitted false claims to your insurance.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 PM
LORDDVADER
Intermediate

You could try contacting GM directly (I would call) and they can open up a complaint on them. They probably wont do much but it may impact the dealer a bit (an actual registerd compaint)
Here's the link:http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/mds/h...r/contactUs.do

BTW what dealer was it (i'm originally from Bellmore), just curious.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ettev01
Hey! You may have installed it yourself, but the dealership has notes that "they" installed it. I guess if anything goes wrong you have proof it was installed by them!
And, the dealership got reimbursed by GM for the "installation". The dealer should be reported to GM for fraud.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 AM
carboman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Good luck getting any satisfaction. I'm having issues with my local dealer on having the roof replaced. It's been painted twice so far with a third attempt sometime in he near future. Each time the paint has dirt in it, the color doesn't match and the new top constanlty squeaks and rattles. I can't wait for them to attempt the column clip issue.

I opened a case file with GM and the customer servcie rep has been very prompt and pleasant but as I mentioned to her during our last (4th) conversation she's been very nice but that's not getting the issue resolved. The latest is I'm supposed to be hearing from a district servcie rep in the next day or two. I doubt that will do any good.

When people ask me if I like my Corvette the answer is always the same, yes but.............

Last edited by carboman; 07-25-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To To Whom at GM shoud I write to about LOUSY dealer service?

Quick Reply: To Whom at GM shoud I write to about LOUSY dealer service?