C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW-TO fix gas door with sticking release plunger

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:33 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

Default DIY - HOW-TO fix gas door with sticking release plunger

DIY - Do It Yourself Fix

Does your fuel door not want to stay closed. Is the plunger stuck in the down position and not catching the fuel door latch? Don't spend $70 for the cable assembly....

I had the same problem about a year ago. The spring on the plunger had corroded and the plunger would stick in the down position. I could manually push it back out with the emergency cable but it would eventually push back in the the door would pop back open. Pretty embarrassing driving around with your gas door open.

What I did was pull back the interior liner on the driver side above the rear tire, exposing the solenoid cable and emergency cable. Take a small spring that has light tension and hook one side to where the emergency cable is attached, and then hook the other side to the cardboard backing of the insulation. Basically you are pulling the plunger assembly to the up position to hold the gas door shut. I've had this fix for a year now and it works great. I used a carb spring that I had in the garage so my fix was free, but you can buy a $1 spring at the hardware store.

Last edited by gr86ss; 07-30-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: added DIY to title for search engine
Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 AM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 282 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks for the DIY
Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Interesting fix. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Thanks for the great write-up!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:10 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Mine is doing it now and REALLY pissing me off. Will give this a try. Thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 09:15 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks...this is CF perfection. Publishing a simple, cheap fix that saves other Vette owners from Corvette Tax!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I had this same problem except it was under warranty so dealership ordered new cable and installed it.
Use scotch tape in the mean time when gas flap wouldn't shut.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:45 AM
gr86ss
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS WON
Use scotch tape in the mean time when gas flap wouldn't shut.
Yeah, I actually bought some scotch tape at the gas station when the darn filler door wouldn't stay shut. More steath than blue painters tape..
Old 07-31-2010, 02:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gr86ss
Yeah, I actually bought some scotch tape at the gas station when the darn filler door wouldn't stay shut. More steath than blue painters tape..
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

DYI - Do It Yourself Fix

Does your fuel door not want to stay closed. Is the plunger stuck in the down position and not catching the fuel door latch? Don't spend $70 for the cable assembly....

I had the same problem about a year ago. The spring on the plunger had corroded and the plunger would stick in the down position. I could manually push it back out with the emergency cable but it would eventually push back in the the door would pop back open. Pretty embarrassing driving around with your gas door open.

What I did was pull back the interior liner on the driver side above the rear tire, exposing the solenoid cable and emergency cable. Take a small spring that has light tension and hook one side to where the emergency cable is attached, and then hook the other side to the cardboard backing of the insulation. Basically you are pulling the plunger assembly to the up position to hold the gas door shut. I've had this fix for a year now and it works great. I used a carb spring that I had in the garage so my fix was free, but you can buy a $1 spring at the hardware store.

thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, but I would rather fix the root cause than apply a band-aid.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 AM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great idea and very creative fix. Had this happen on my 05 and ending up replacing the whole assembly. This would have been way easier...
Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Ok, but I would rather fix the root cause than apply a band-aid.
Root cause is defective spring within factory cable/plunger assembly. This is NOT a band aide but a very permanent and proven solution. I agree with you on band aide fixes, as I don't like to do those. If you have the $$ for the part vs paying a couple of $$ for this solution, more power to ya.

Oh and I do have a spare new in package factory cable assembly thats been laying around on my parts shelf if you are interested in one. It came in after I came up with my solution and never got around to returning it. I give you a deal on it
Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Root cause is defective spring within factory cable/plunger assembly. This is NOT a band aide but a very permanent and proven solution. I agree with you on band aide fixes, as I don't like to do those. If you have the $$ for the part vs paying a couple of $$ for this solution, more power to ya.

Oh and I do have a spare new in package factory cable assembly thats been laying around on my parts shelf if you are interested in one. It came in after I came up with my solution and never got around to returning it. I give you a deal on it
Are you saying that replacing the whole cable assembly under warranty is a band aid solution? This will happen again with the new assembly?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 AM
gr86ss
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS WON
Are you saying that replacing the whole cable assembly under warranty is a band aid solution? This will happen again with the new assembly?
If you're still under warranty, then by all means, have it replaced. This occurrence is more common than one would expect, and I suspect if yours failed it may fail again.

The fix that I have will last the life of the car and was meant to save CF members some coin if they were out of warranty.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

If you're still under warranty, then by all means, have it replaced. This occurrence is more common than one would expect, and I suspect if yours failed it may fail again.

The fix that I have will last the life of the car and was meant to save CF members some coin if they were out of warranty.
I see. Then replacing the whole assembly is a band aid fix.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Super-seed
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked your fix so I tried it, however, the plunger still will not return quite far enough. If I hook it with my finger and pull hard, I can get another 1/8" which would catch the door latch. Any other ideas??

Get notified of new replies

To HOW-TO fix gas door with sticking release plunger

Old 03-25-2011, 11:00 AM
gr86ss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Super-seed
I liked your fix so I tried it, however, the plunger still will not return quite far enough. If I hook it with my finger and pull hard, I can get another 1/8" which would catch the door latch. Any other ideas??
Try spaying some WD40 at the plunger. Also insure that the emergency cable release isn't binding up.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know how to get to this on a convertable? Failure occured on mine this morning on the way into a meeting.
I have the bonnet up after releasing the vert top. Pulling away the carpet liner reveals a plastic panel. The plunger and cable assy must be behind it. Looks like I need to remove the rear fender for access.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO fix gas door with sticking release plunger