C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM4718M oil list

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 PM
VetteLog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
of the ones I can find readily, this month I'd have to say PZL at $40 for a carton (6 Qts.) with a $20 mail in rebate at Pep Boys.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
And no one even knows what GM4178M means..
Originally Posted by Rogers 07
I do, Bottom line is its a SMOG Test. Oils that meet the criteria have essentially had there ZDDP zinc/phosphorus levels reduced to a level that will not foul Catalytic converters for 100000 miles, (about 800 ppm or less of ZDDP) or right about when GM will stop warrenting them !!! for those that dont know, ZDDP is a lubricant additive package thats been in oils for the last 100 years or so to protect cam shafts and lifters from destroying themselvs, ( Good anti-friction protection oils will have ZDDP levels around 1100-1400 PPM or higher). Good thing roller camed engines dont need those higher ZDDP protection levels !!!!
The GM4178M test has little to do with how well an oil protects an engine, but how well it protects the CATS !!!!!
Actually, that's not correct.
Some other specs for motor oil do regulate the ZDDP you mentioned, but that is true for road-use motor oil in general.

GM4718M is related to high temperature stability of the oil, and has nothing to do with ZDDP.

Google is your friend.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by calemasters
Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic 5W-30 meets /exceeds GM4718M spec and is a GF-5 lubricant. Most of the lubricants recommend by GM, including Mobile 1 SAE 5W-30 are ISLAC GF-4 lubricants. The GM4718M spec was written several years ago, and will be changing soon.

Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic 5W-30 also exceeds the forthcoming GM Dexos spec. Dexos spec oils will be required in GM production engines beginning November 2010.

Oil specs are a moving target. What was good 10 years ago, may not meet specs today. What meets the specs today may not meet the specs in 10 years.

I have been using Mobile 1 since 1992, but I am changing from Mobile 1, to Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30, ILSAC GF-5, at my next oil change.

ILSAC GF-4 vs. GF-5

That is a very interesting graphic on Ultra, Allen. thanks!

I might also note that the "older", Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic on the Pennzoil site says that it, too, exceeds GM's latest oil requirement, Dexos 1. (see: http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum)

But based on the facts presented, it could be a boost to the engine to switch to the Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic. It is a little more expensive than the regular Platinum Full Synthetic.

Still, this is good information to have on the new oil. Maybe they'll run a big sale soon!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:49 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is my understanding that Pennzoil Platinum full Synthetic and Mobile 1 full synthetic are not truly fully synthetic, but they are allowed to advertise as such. I believe that Pennzoil Ultra GF-5 is truly a fully synthetic oil, thus the extra cost.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Hmmm, hmmm, really....ok.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

So much for the "I wouldn't use Pennzoil in my lawn tractor" quotes...

I'd be more concerned about additive compatibility when switching from the old M1 factory fill to another brand.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

All API rated motor oils are tested for compatibility, and will not have any issues with the small (about 1/2 quart) of residual oil remaining after draining.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
A pilot friend of mine,who used to use Amsoil in his cars and plane, told me that Amsoil has been reformulated and that it is no longer of use in his plane. He won't use it now in his cars either. I used to use Amsoil 0-30W years ago and thought it was great....
Only a pilot with a "Rising Sun" bandana would use Amsoil in their plane. Real pilots use Aeroshell...
Old 08-31-2010, 06:48 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
All API rated motor oils are tested for compatibility, and will not have any issues with the small (about 1/2 quart) of residual oil remaining after draining.
NATO demands this compatibility.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hairbag
I wouldn't use Pennzoil on my bicycle chain!
While you were right, Pennzoil years ago was lousy "barely meets the spec" oil. That is no longer the case. Since Shell Oil bought Pennzoil, they have utilized their expertise in creating a very good oil. So good in fact, that FERARRI uses it as factory fill. Pennzoil ULTRA= Helix ULTRA.

We don't have Helix in North America.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Actually, that's not correct.
Some other specs for motor oil do regulate the ZDDP you mentioned, but that is true for road-use motor oil in general.

GM4718M is related to high temperature stability of the oil, and has nothing to do with ZDDP.

Google is your friend.
Sure, the spec has lot of engineering criteria in it, however, from a pure oil protection point of view, any oil that meets GM4718M will NOT protect an older flat tappet (solid or hydraulic) cammed performance engine due to the reduced ZDDP which was reduced in the spec to protect the Cats on new cars, Google has many answers!!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:20 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

There are some manufacturers out there that practically mandate that you use their "blend" of fluids. GM is just saying these are the oils that they tested or maybe they didnt' test anything at all. It is just like Top Tier gas. The first name on the list Quiktrip has the same address as Top Tier gas while some big name brands are not even on the list.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 AM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

If you are interested to learn the difference in Synthetics, please read the following. The base stocks used in the formulations of most if not all other synthetics changed to base III after the Castrol vs Mobil challenge in the late '90s, except for Amsoil. It may come as a surprise to many that that real expensive synthetic motor oil you're using is just re-re-re-refined dinosaur oil. Amsoil as far as I know is the only synthetic on the market today that uses base IV pure synthetic base stocks.

http://www.syntheticsbestoil.com/mobil.htm
Old 09-01-2010, 08:04 AM
denali
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by FloridaGrandSport
What, no Amsoil?
Thats what I was about to ask.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

For those of you with warranty issues:

"The relevant legislation here, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, protects consumers from being wrongfully denied warranty coverage by new car dealers.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c):
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if —

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefore.

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle is prohibited from requiring you to use a service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.

Specifically, the rules and regulations adopted by the FTC to govern the interpretation and enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 - Commercial Practices, Chapter I - Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G - Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 - Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states:
No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law."
Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by hogsnvettes
If you are interested to learn the difference in Synthetics, please read the following. The base stocks used in the formulations of most if not all other synthetics changed to base III after the Castrol vs Mobil challenge in the late '90s, except for Amsoil. It may come as a surprise to many that that real expensive synthetic motor oil you're using is just re-re-re-refined dinosaur oil. Amsoil as far as I know is the only synthetic on the market today that uses base IV pure synthetic base stocks.

http://www.syntheticsbestoil.com/mobil.htm
While I don't doubt the word of Amsoil, it IS their website and claims. Not to mention the fact that one of the "industry magazines" they quote is Lubricants World, which has gone out of business. There is mention, however, of SAE and API; is there any possibility of getting some corroboration from these two organizations re the statements made by Amsoil's article? I'm not doubting the Castrol vs. Mobil but I'd like to find out more re the other claims.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by hogsnvettes
Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law."
If there is a major engine repair that might be covered by warranty, the dealer does not get to make the decision. Someone up the line at GM decides. Sometimes, you car gets to sit for a while until a rep can come by to physically look at it. Blackstone Labs previously told me they get oil samples from the car makers, presumably to make warranty decisions.

If GM decides your problem was caused by sub-standard oil or some other non-warranty cause, you are basically screwed. The cost of hiring a lawyer and expert witnesses will quickly exceed the cost of a new engine. Do you feel lucky? The federal government is busy with a lot of other things and isn't going to take up your case unless it's part of a pattern.

The MMA thing has been beaten to death before, the short version is that anything non-spec in your car effectively puts the burden of proof on you if GM wants to be tough.

Get notified of new replies

To GM4718M oil list

Old 10-22-2016, 04:36 PM
Gus Gillespie
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cclive
It always has been on the list, it just isn't recommended for the car....per the owner's manual. The manual says to use 4718 approved oil in a 5w-30 weight. There have always been many oils that meet the 4718 spec in different weights.
Why don't you Guys and Girls just follow what the manual states? It's not that difficult. Unless you are too cheap, do what GM tells you to do. If you are that cheap then go out and buy yourself a Ford Mustang or Dodge Viper. There; it's been said!!
Old 10-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Gus Gillespie
Heel & Toe

Default GM4718M GM Standard Oil

Originally Posted by cclive
It always has been on the list, it just isn't recommended for the car....per the owner's manual. The manual says to use 4718 approved oil in a 5w-30 weight. There have always been many oils that meet the 4718 spec in different weights.
<br />Why don't you Guys and Girls just follow what the manual states? It's not that difficult. Unless you are too cheap, do what GM tells you to do. If you are that cheap then go out and buy yourself a Ford Mustang or Dodge Viper. There; it's been said!!

Last edited by Gus Gillespie; 10-22-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Doubled the message
Old 10-22-2016, 11:14 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus Gillespie
Why don't you Guys and Girls just follow what the manual states? It's not that difficult. Unless you are too cheap, do what GM tells you to do. If you are that cheap then go out and buy yourself a Ford Mustang or Dodge Viper. There; it's been said!!
Why don't you check the date of the last posting before chastising people? Unless you are too "Dizzy"

Quick Reply: GM4718M oil list