C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Convertible top problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 PM
comanja
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C6 Convertible top problem

While raising the top on my 2007 C6, the operation came to a halt as the back panel was tightening down. The motor under that panel keeps running. If I put the top all the way down, I can still here the motor running. To stop the motor, I start the top back down and then release the switch when the back panel opens.

I have checked the trunk area and nothing is loose. I reindexed the windows with no luck. Is there something else I can try?

Mike
The following users liked this post:
Havasu (02-18-2022)
Old 08-01-2010, 10:45 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you hear the cover click down? If not maybe you can push it down just a bit more when it is down as far as it will go and see if it will click. Otherwise, I got nothing..good luck.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with trying what was suggested above. I have been having top issues for a while, and it also involves the toneau cover, but my problem is different. I am determined to get mine fixed, but after a few attempts by dealerships, I am beginning to wonder.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:01 PM
comanja
7th Gear

The cover tries to click down, but even when I push on it, it won't go. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dleblanc54 (10-25-2020)
Old 08-01-2010, 11:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't think this has anything to do with it, but is that little snap-button thing in the trunk, snapped up? I know I've loosened one occasionally when putting things in the trunk and they slid around a little.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:16 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

It sounds like the problem might be the latch assembly. Mine was replaced before I bought my car. The other idea migh be the top is not going all the way down which is interfering with the toneau cover closing.

btw, if you haven't seen my posts, my problem is the toneau cover stays up in the air and will not close.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 PM
comanja
7th Gear

While trying to lower the top, I opened the trunk and pushed on the switch on the passenger side of the protective cover. No luck. The motor just keeps trying to screw the panel down.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:32 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

sounds more like the latch assembly to me.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 PM
comanja
7th Gear

That's what it looks like to me too. It's during the latching operation when the top quit going up. I suppose there is some sort of internal stop in the mechanism that isn't being reached during the tightening phase.
DangYankee64 (03-14-2020)
Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by comanja
The cover tries to click down, but even when I push on it, it won't go. Thanks for the suggestion.
I haven't really looked at this but is it possible to adjust upward the latch? Man, all you guys with vert top problems is starting to bum me out. We definitely need more expertise in this area...
Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
CrVetteteK
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what it looks like to me too. It's during the latching operation when the top quit going up. I suppose there is some sort of internal stop in the mechanism that isn't being reached during the tightening phase.
Mike, I concur. The power tonneau latch is internally damaged causing your condition. If the folding top module doesn't see the tonneau switch as "closed" then it won't go to the next phase of the top up proceedure.
As stated here already your probably going to need the tonneau pulldown actuator.
Give me a call if you need further assistance.
Jeff
Old 08-02-2010, 09:20 AM
comanja
7th Gear

Thanks Jeff...looks like a trip to the Corvette guys in Janesville.
Mike
Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Thanks Jeff...looks like a trip to the Corvette guys in Janesville.
Mike
Former home of the best pens in the world....
Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

And here I thought Janesville was ONLY known for being the home of Lands End....
Old 08-02-2010, 03:18 PM
comanja
7th Gear

Not only a good pen but once the home of a darn good Corvette man, who's now helping the folks in South Carolina. Hopefully his knowledge rubbed off on some of the other guys in the shop.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Pukindog
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default convertible top malfunction

I have a 2006. The top has failed to go up at least 10 times. The first time it happened i had less then 200 miles on the car. After four times a filed a Lemon law on the car and received a couple of grand from GM. One of the dealers replaxced a switch and the top was fine for a couple of months. Had the car out today and the top would not go up. i released the pump pressure (I am na expert at this) so i could raise the top manually. This time the top can not even be raised manually. in fact, the top would not go down all the way. I pressed on the cover but it would not latch. Pressurized the pump again an the top went up albeit with pops and snaps. This car really has me bummed out. I do not drive the car much because i never know if the top wil go up. There is only 9400 on the odometer. I am seriously looking to sell and buy something else. Oh yeah, another dealer is going to look at the car this Friday.

Jeff
Old 03-03-2018, 03:28 PM
shepherdaway
Cruising

Originally Posted by Pukindog
I have a 2006. The top has failed to go up at least 10 times. The first time it happened i had less then 200 miles on the car. After four times a filed a Lemon law on the car and received a couple of grand from GM. One of the dealers replaxced a switch and the top was fine for a couple of months. Had the car out today and the top would not go up. i released the pump pressure (I am na expert at this) so i could raise the top manually. This time the top can not even be raised manually. in fact, the top would not go down all the way. I pressed on the cover but it would not latch. Pressurized the pump again an the top went up albeit with pops and snaps. This car really has me bummed out. I do not drive the car much because i never know if the top wil go up. There is only 9400 on the odometer. I am seriously looking to sell and buy something else. Oh yeah, another dealer is going to look at the car this Friday.

Jeff
Did you ever get this resolved? Facing a similar issue on my 2006

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Convertible top problem

Old 03-03-2018, 03:46 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I've had the C-6 power top woes also for several years now. It's action is moody....works fine sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. No rime or reason that I can see cept that it seems to be a taneau latch problem as some suggest. The top goes up and down fine....but the taneau will not close all the way in a fashion that you suggest. You can hear it operating underneath the taneau and you can see the taneau trying to close all the way but it won't latch that last inch or so. I can run it through another 1/2 cycle and it will usually finish all the way. I've watched the latch pull down ring and rather than come up so it can grab the taneau, it just stays down thus not being able to reach the taneau and pull it down. Still looking for a fix for this. It's to intermittent to take for repair cause you know what happens anytime you take something in thats not broke all the time ??....yep...it works perfectly when your showing the repair people.........
Old 03-03-2018, 04:44 PM
thunderglide
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Tonneau Cover wont close and stop

Originally Posted by windyC6
I've had the C-6 power top woes also for several years now. It's action is moody....works fine sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. No rime or reason that I can see cept that it seems to be a taneau latch problem as some suggest. The top goes up and down fine....but the taneau will not close all the way in a fashion that you suggest. You can hear it operating underneath the taneau and you can see the taneau trying to close all the way but it won't latch that last inch or so. I can run it through another 1/2 cycle and it will usually finish all the way. I've watched the latch pull down ring and rather than come up so it can grab the taneau, it just stays down thus not being able to reach the taneau and pull it down. Still looking for a fix for this. It's to intermittent to take for repair cause you know what happens anytime you take something in thats not broke all the time ??....yep...it works perfectly when your showing the repair people.........
Guys I had this very problem. The Tonneau would close but not click down and shut off. I opened the top to reveal the cover where the latch assembly engages the pull down switch. These electric latches are used in a variety of GM trunks and Corvettes. They can be easily purchased and replaced. All you have to do is remove the cover where the motor latch assembly is located and check the gears. No surprise they are plastic and will wear out or get cracked and will never close again. I replaced mine with new one in about an hour and my top works like a charm. There are some plastic connectors along the sides of the waterfall where the latch is located and must be removed first before unscrewing the waterfall from the bracket. But it is really and easy repair. The dealer wanted $500 to replace it. The part is less than $200 on line. At least open the waterfall and remove the latch to check it out. Just my experience with the same problem. Good luck
Old 03-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Manual top. I recommend it.

BTW...6.5 years on this necropost. No time at all compared to that 10+ year old resurrected thread a week or so ago.

Last edited by Randy_in_MD; 03-03-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 Convertible top problem