C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble adding a sub amp to a 2010 GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:37 PM
guyski
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble adding a sub amp to a 2010 GS

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before (I know because I read all the posts), but I can't find an answer to my problem.

I'm trying to add a sub amp (RF 500BD) in 2010 GS with OEM single disc HU. So, after reading every single post on this subject I decided to go with getting the line level outputs using a PAC ADD-GM24 harness from Sonic Electronix (I soldered on RCAs). The problem is I get a very loud, unbearable noise coming from the stock Bose system when connecting to the amp this way. I've tried using the front RCAs and rears with the same result. The noise is played at full volume on the stock fronts or backs depending if I use the front or rear RCAs to the amp and happens even if the HU volume is very low. The noise starts when the ground of the RCA is connected, not the positive (center signal). I've double checked all connections, verified the RCAs are soldered correctly, and I even buzzed out the ADD-GM24 to make sure it was wired correctly (it's just a pass through), but I can not figure out what is wrong. I've installed many amps in the past, but this BOSE stuff is just lame. I plan on upgrading the HU eventually, but I just want some sub for now. I've also tried using the line level from the HU and disconnecting this signal that would go to the stock amp as a test. Normally ADD-GM24 acts like a "T" to tap off this signal so this should have had just the HU feeding the amp the low level signal. This results in a low level whine (car is not running) with no sound from the sub. I've run out of things to try and I don't really want to use the rear speaker level signals if possible. Any ideas?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I did the same install a few months ago and, by the way you describe it, you did everything correctly. I would recheck to see that you connected the RCA's to the correct wires on the harness. Thats all I can think of that may be wrong.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:53 AM
guyski
Intermediate

The ADD-GM24 makes it pretty easy. I used the information from this forum to solder on the connectors and even cross verified with the radio schematics also from this forum. Anyone see anything wrong?

Last edited by guyski; 08-09-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Lomison
Intermediate

Default having same issue

guyski - i am having the exact same issue with my 2010...did you ever get this resolved? tks.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 AM
guyski
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lomison
guyski - i am having the exact same issue with my 2010...did you ever get this resolved? tks.
No, I didn't. I ended up using a line level converter and tapped into the rear speakers. I'm not very happy with the sound this way. What is your amp?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Lomison
Intermediate

The amp is a JL J2 360.2. I cut plywood to replace the storage space covers in the back, laid the carpet over them, then cut holes and mounted a JL 6W3v3 sub in each side. I used 8ohm speakers and ran them parallel and then bridged the amp to get a full 360 watts at 4ohms. In another thread it was suggested that I needed a ground loop eliminator...or go the way you went and tap into the rear speaker. I have opted to just replace the head with a Pioneer AVIC 120. It has a lot of sound shaping capability and I want to get the most out of my small subs. It should arrive today. I can let you know how that goes.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

did you read all the posts in the audio section? Thats where this should be posted for more replys to your problem.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:37 AM
guyski
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NYC6
did you read all the posts in the audio section? Thats where this should be posted for more replys to your problem.
I actually did post the original question in the audio section with very few replys. I've read every single post (yes, every one) that had anything to do with my problem with no luck. What never made sense to me is that there is a constant DC voltage out of the OEM HU on all signal (low) level outputs no matter what I set the volume to on the HU. This explains the very loud noise when I hooked this up the the amp.

Like Lomison I'm giving up and upgrading the HU eventually, but I wish I could have made this work until I do. I'm pretty sure a ground loop eliminator is not the problem. Lomison, let me know how your install goes.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Lomison
Intermediate

I finished the installation yesterday and it all turned out excellent. The Pioneer Avic 120 is a fantastic HU. It is a lot of work...wiring both the GMOS module and the module for the steering wheel controls, but it is done. The ability to tweak the sound to both the stock amp and the new amp hooked up to the JL subs has allowed me to get the sound I was hoping for. The navigation, back-up camera, and blue tooth work great as well. If you want I can send you some shots of the completed installation.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:21 AM
guyski
Intermediate

I would love to see some pictures of your install.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Lomison
Intermediate

Here are few shots in my gallery

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/album.php?albumid=14198

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble adding a sub amp to a 2010 GS

Quick Reply: Trouble adding a sub amp to a 2010 GS