C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in Fog Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:02 PM
avecsilver05
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in Fog Light

I have seen some posts of some people having water/condensation in their fog lights. I had the same problem. I had my car for about a year before it got any - and just on the driver side. I had removed it twice before, and dried it out, and put it back. I was thinking it was maybe getting in through the bulb insert area since I could not see anything else where it may have been getting in. On the third time (I guess I should have done it on the first), after removing it, I filled it with water. I was thinking I might see a leak in the seam somewhere where the lens attached to the black plastic housing. Nothing was leaking there, so I stuck my finger in the bulb hole and turned it upside down. Water started leaking out. I found a crack in the top of the black plastic housing, about 1 inch long. I could not see it until the water started leaking out. It was hard to believe that water could even get in through that tiny space, but it did ( I guess with heating/cooling it made a suction). And how the top of the black plastic housing develops a crack in the first place is beyond me. I drained all the water (had to use a turkey baster with a straw attached to get the water out that would not come out through the opening. Then using a piece of coat hanger wire and small pieces of soft cloth, rubbed around all on the inside of the lens to clean it and get as much moisture out as I can. You can bend the tip of the wire around a small piece of the cloth to make sure it stays attached. I dropped mine inside a couple of times and used a claw tool to catch it with and pull it back out. I turned it upside down and bent the wire into a curve and cleaned the chrome reflector as well as I could. If you try this, be sure to keep the cloth between the wire and the part not to scratch. After that I put it in the sun for about an hour to let the rest of any moisture I may have missed dry out. Now for the crack. I poured super glue across the top of the crack leaving it thick, making sure it covered beyond the edges. I let it dry and did it two more times to make sure I had it covered well. I have since driven in the rain 3 times and so far no condensation. Before, one trip was all it took, so I think it is fixed for now. It took a little effort, but for someone on a tight budget, it beats having to buy a whole new fog light housing. I hope someone else can benefit from my experience. Good luck if you try this.

Neal
Old 08-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

ill be doing this too, mine has had condensation it for a solid 6 months, cant source another one at a good price so ill just fix the current one
Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To add to this... I too had water in my foglight, but mine seems to be seeping in from the back of the housing where the bulb is inserted. I daignosed this after filling my entire foglight with water and waiting for it to seep.... NEVER DID...

SO it must be the ONLY hole which is where the bulb is placed...

I dried the light (still have a little moisture in)... and placed the bulb back...

Afterwhich I applied Vinyl Sealent by Permatex on the back of the light to get a good seeal and prevent water from seeping in...

Hopefully this works
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

i'm done with this stupid problem...

I tink I need to buy a new light.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Bought a brand new foglight for my passenger side! It is significantly different with repesct to the adjustment sscrew which adjusts the lamp up and down..

gmpartshouse... HATS OFF!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Hopefully no more leaks. Thi was my stock foglight from 2005 that I finally replaced
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM
767stick
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Ahmer, did changing your fog lights solve this? Where did you get them? I have a similar problem in my 2005.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Ok I changed my foglights, but it still DID NOT RESOLVE. I ended up drying the light out and placing a CLEAR VINYL (HEADLAMP LENS COVER, cut down to a size of about 3 in. x 5 in. square) and made sure it seals all the back portion of the foglamp so water simply rolls of the unit and does not creep into the bulb socket. Driven 13,000 miles since and NO MORE WATER ! I drive my car everyday, be it a MONSOON or not.

So the problem I believe is that the foglamp bulbs tend to leak a bit around the opening in the back portion of the unit. Once water sits there and we turn them on... It simply gets "SUCKED" into the unit and condenses when cold...

Try my fix.

Get notified of new replies

To Water in Fog Light

Quick Reply: Water in Fog Light