C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience and consensus on TINTING the C6...

Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Full Metal Jacket
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience and consensus on TINTING the C6...

ok so i think Blacked out tinted windows would look badd **** on my Millenium Yellow C6...

My concerns are, how difficult is it to get a perfect tint on the rear windows? Iremember when i was growingup in my teens and early 20's (early 90's) tint really depnded on who tinted your car..

However I remember it was easy to remove except for the back window where you ended up loosing your rear window defogger because you would end up using a razor blade to remove the left over glue and stubborn tint left in little shreds..

Has tint eveloved? Anyone with tint that can share their experience?

Anyone with a Yellow (either MY or VY) C6 with tint so i can see what it would look like?

I so want to do it but dont want to regret it after.. I like the clean window look but have always felt tinted cars looked cool/sinister and bad! I would go with dark tint all the way around or light tint all the way around. i dont like to see dark rear tint with lighter windows..

Ok, any pics or thoughts on tinting te C6?? pic below of my ride for consideration.

Last edited by Full Metal Jacket; 09-02-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: pic
Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Well, all I can offer is, in my opinion, tinting makes the car much more richer for lack of a better word. I never have taken tinting off, so I cannot comment on if it wrecks the rear defrost lines. I do know that sometimes you can see the bubbles along the defrosting lines as they are so close together, some tinters "paint" that part of the window where the lines are really close together giving it that perfect tint look from the outside. Your results may vary.

Having said that, I would never tint the windows on my F-car, just would look silly, I think....could be wrong tho......

Last edited by Racer; 09-02-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added fcar part
Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Full Metal Jacket
Pro

nice Z........Yeah I know I like the tint also..Although I know it will be a reason to get pulled over by the Five-Oh...
Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 PM
RixRedC6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

For some reason I was against tinting for the longest time. Probably for some of the reasons you listed. Then a couple of years ago I read several articles in a row; not about the sinister, cool, evil factor, but about the interior temperature factor. Having tinted my last three vehicles in Dallas and now Las Vegas, I can't imaging NOT tinting anything I get in the future. My theory has been to tint to the maximum allowed by law so you don't have to worry about any consequences. Personally, I think tint on your yellow car would be sweet. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I have the darkest limo tint on rear I think it's called 95% or only lets 5% of the light in. You put your face up to the glass and you cannot see inside.
The big problem isn't with the rear defroster in my case as I have had it on for over 5 years now when I got car new.

The problem is that when I remove top for top off driving, I cannot see anything in my rear view mirror I do not know how it is possible but I suspect it is because of the rear tint. It just looks like a blank invisible mirror.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Full Metal Jacket
Pro

can you post some pics of your tinted c6?

It probably has to dowith the light coming in and then you trying to look through the mirror into dark/black area...weird..

That wouldnt bother me..althought the drvr/pssgr mirrors do kind of suck..

plz post pics
Old 09-02-2010, 11:30 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket
can you post some pics of your tinted c6?

It probably has to dowith the light coming in and then you trying to look through the mirror into dark/black area...weird..

That wouldnt bother me..althought the drvr/pssgr mirrors do kind of suck..

plz post pics
Car is Arctic white with black interior. How do you post pics in here?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,316 Likes on 765 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/help...al-inside.html
Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

I have the legal limit tint in Virginia, 50% sides and 35% back glass. I'd like it a little darker but I'm happy with the look. They can put solid black vinyl over the 'knubs' at the top of the back glass. Oh, and mine is millennium yellow too.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:14 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
Having said that, I would never tint the windows on my F-car, just would look silly, I think....could be wrong tho......

Why do you think this,if i may ask? I have friends with exotics and they are all tinted. Just curious
Old 09-03-2010, 08:25 AM
JBH
Racer

Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket

Has tint eveloved? Anyone with tint that can share their experience?

Tint has evolved alot of the last 20 years. Dyed tints that purple or fade and problems with glue releasing over time are, for the most part, a thing of the past. Most tints now are metalized and the best are ceramic based. They have lifetime warranties against fade and the glues are very good. I have had good luck with Pinnacle made by Formula 1(division of Llumar) and with Llumar ATR. Just depends on the look you want. Pinnacle is ceramic and very flat with no reflections, also has best warranty in the business. No matter what tint you choose it really comes down to the ability of the person putting it on. Find the best installer, it will cost you a little extra, but well worth it in the long run. I personally have ATR 15 on the back and ATR 30 on the rollups.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone

Originally Posted by Racer44
Why do you think this,if i may ask? I have friends with exotics and they are all tinted. Just curious
If you tint the windows of an F-car nobody can see that you are in there... That's why it would be just plain silly!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

Our local tinter does an awesome job on the dots and I stayed legal to keep the wifey happy as she drives the C6
Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM
FloridaGrandSport
Burning Brakes

LLUMNAR ceramic:

Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by redzone
I paid a lot of money for that car and one of it's highlights is that beautiful engine under the rear glass, I for one want to see that engine, people love seeing that engine, I wouldn't even consider hiding it. Taking it one step further, you can't tint the side windows and not the back, that just looks silly, so there is why I would never tint the windows on my F-car
Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Jordan_G
Heel & Toe

As mentioned above find a good tint shop - I've heard arguements both ways as to which is better (hand cut or machine cut); but the tint shop I uses a computer to cut out the shape for each window to be tinted and its always perfect.

FWIW - I have 5% on my back window and I think its too dark. If I were doing it again I would go with something around 20%. With the hard top off you cant see out the back window in full day light via the rear view. And at night...well just dont use reverse
Old 09-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Tinted windows are a necessity in Arizona. Personally, I'd keep it legal on the side windows and go darker on the hatch glass. Your car will still look fine. Blackout or near blackout tint has too many drawbacks...I still value visibility and not having to remove the tint after being cited by the cops.

Use someone experienced applying tint to Corvettes. My dealership has one tint shop that comes to the dealership every so often to do tint work...they've done hundreds of Vettes. I think I paid around $165 a few years back.

Get notified of new replies

To Experience and consensus on TINTING the C6...

Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 AM
djgcue
Racer

I tinted mine 5% all around. My installer laid a black vinyl strip along the dots along the top window of the hatch for a cleaner look.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM
purvistechie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I worked for a tint shop many years ago. You need to know that you DO NOT remove window film with a razor when there is a defroster involved. We used a 3M adhesive remover. You need to prep the car well (cover with towels) and put some time in, but removal will not hurt the defroster if done right.
The key to the back window is PREP. We use to scuff all the black "dots" around the edge of the window to get good adhesion. If this is done correctly, bubbles around this area can be mostly avoided.
In order to wrap the curvature of the rear window without cut lines along the defroster, which looks bad in my opinion, you need to lay the film on the outside of the window and with a heat gun, work the film to the curvature of the window. This is the best way, and most time consuming to tint windows like ours. You will pay for it. Either in $ up front, or a cruddy looking tint job. You decide. There will be no need to cover anything from the outside if done correctly.

This all being said, my car is not tinted. I've had issues with the law over the years for tint being too dark. I don't like the "legal" tint (50%) in MN, it's just too light for me, but I don't feel like giving the police any more reasons to look at me twice. Driving a corvette is reason enough. I love the look of dark tint, I just don't want the headache that comes with it.

If your going to do it, do it right and pay the money for a quality shop to complete the job. Have them show you pictures of other corvettes that they have done. They will have them if they are at all a reputable shop. If your going legal tint, try to get a semi reflective type. It will give the illusion that it's darker, especially on cloudy days where it will reflect the white sky.

Good luck!

Last edited by purvistechie; 09-03-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:01 AM
GregC6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure they use vinyl for the data dots so it looks clean on top
http://www.chicagonissanclub.net/sho...7&postcount=13

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Experience and consensus on TINTING the C6...