C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking/rattling noise in rear, over bumps at low speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 PM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtoner
Nope - loose lug nut fell out and is rolling around in the hubcap....
Haha- I'd guess that would sound more like an AK-47 firing continuously.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:44 PM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktzon
Oil-canning-
A moderate deformation or buckling of sheet material, particularly common with flat sheet metal surfaces. Typically caused by uneven stresses at the fastening points. This terminology also refers to the popping sound made when pressure is applied to the deformed sheet forcing the deformation in the opposite direction.

Is what your hearing a metal "Popping sound" coming from the rear of the car? When your driving very slow over an un-even surface (Say a speed bump) the car will twist just enough to buckle the Aluminum sheet just behind the seats...thus Popping.

GM recommends the dealership take a hammer and pound the crap out of this, basically putting in dimples which will strengthen the Aluminum sheet. Something's wrong when a fix requires a hammer....

And yes, this problem is in the coupes, GS' and Z06's.
Excellent- thanks for the explanation. Yeah it's definitely not what you described. It's not a sharp metalic pop- more of a loose, sloppy rattle/sqeak when hitting sharp bumps.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:57 PM
C6dream2009
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK You Corvette Forum, I've Fixed my Sway bar issue with new Moog Sway Bar End Links. The old ones were wasted. I'd never heard of such a thing!!! weird?!?!?! Any who, cheap easy fix! Thanks!!
Old 11-16-2015, 06:33 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the same issue... It was the bushings and the rear axle
Old 11-17-2015, 11:16 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,250 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K
It is the sways no question. I had this exact same issue on a number of occasions over the years. Once it actually was the front sways and the noise traveled such that it sounded like the rear. So when you get the sways checked also have them check the front. I went through the axle nut and the rear diff fluid before finally getting the problem correctly diagnosed. I'd bet money this is your problem.
Most likely sway bar end links.

Quick Reply: Clunking/rattling noise in rear, over bumps at low speed?