C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 dry sump blew oil...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:36 AM
GrandSportSean
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 dry sump blew oil...

Anyone with a 2010 GS have high oil pressure once the engine is warmed up? I had been well over 100 lbs with moderate acceleration once warmed up, and 50-60 lbs crusing in 6th gear at 70 mph. I "may" have found out why mine was running high... dealer installed the wrong oil filter? The dry sump ls3 requires a UPF48R oil filter... not PF48. Apparently the techs at Reliable didn't read that note. Hence I wonder if the wrong oil filter might explain the higher oil pressure issue and the oil flow pouring out the vette today? The high oil pressure started right after my first oil change at 2800 miles. I took it back after the oil change and was handed a tech bulletin stating LS3's with dry sump would run higher oil pressure upon start up - which was only part of my concern, and they never looked at the car. Car just turned 5000 miles when it blew oil in a hefty cloud of smoke today on hwy 60 at 75 mph - leaving a nice 1/4 mile streak on the road, a puddle under the driver side of the engine while coated the underside and rear. It was towed back to Reliable (SGF MO) once On Star listened to both the dealer and myself, as to which tow truck company needed to be called. 4 hours waiting in 100 degree heat by the side of the highway was not fun. (pictures posted in my profile). http://forums.corvetteforum.com/album.php?albumid=12538

Last edited by GrandSportSean; 08-01-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:58 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If they did not know what oil filter to use, they may have also not know that they needed to drain oil at two plugs. They could have drained the pan but not the tank, leaving about six quarts or so in the system. Adding the right amount of oil would have put you at about sixteen quarts of oil in your system. That's going to blow out somewhere.

There was a thread were this happened. The excess blew out the tank vent and into the intake where it hydro-locked the engine.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:11 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeez, how much oil do these (LS3/dry sump) cars hold total (normally...)?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's 11 but I did not look it up.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:36 AM
stockticker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does it cost to change the oil in those GS'zz
Old 08-01-2010, 04:03 AM
Jofu
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EDinPA
I think it's 11 but I did not look it up.
If it's the same dry-sump as the Z06, then it's 10.5 quarts.

Geoff
Old 08-01-2010, 07:01 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jofu
If it's the same dry-sump as the Z06, then it's 10.5 quarts.

Geoff
Yes it's the same one.

TRR
Old 08-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Tom's_03SVT
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stockticker
what does it cost to change the oil in those GS'zz
If you buy your own stuff at Walmart about $55. At the dealership $100+.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:24 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

...and this is why even "old men" do their own oil changes rather than go to a dealer.

The PF48 will fit but is a cheaper version with less burst strength and it doesn't filter out the smaller particles. It is the wrong filter per GM but evidently Reliable doesn't care. Your description sounds to me like the can finally burst under the pressure. The initial high pressure could have been because the tech didn't drain the old oil or the PF48 might have disintegrated inside from the pressure and sent filter material through the engine.

Good luck and, BTW, you might want to look for a dealer that knows how to do an oil change if you are not going to do them yourself.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:57 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
...and this is why even "old men" do their own oil changes rather than go to a dealer.

The PF48 will fit but is a cheaper version with less burst strength and it doesn't filter out the smaller particles. It is the wrong filter per GM but evidently Reliable doesn't care. Your description sounds to me like the can finally burst under the pressure. The initial high pressure could have been because the tech didn't drain the old oil or the PF48 might have disintegrated inside from the pressure and sent filter material through the engine.

Good luck and, BTW, you might want to look for a dealer that knows how to do an oil change if you are not going to do them yourself.
You are spot on with your assessment.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well, I think you've got at least a couple of good answers here. Not only would I suggest you approach this a bit more analytically, but considering what might be happening in your engine due to the oil/filter/blowing it out, I would involve someone at GM/Chevrolet. I don't know if anything has been compromised, but I'd want it on the record that mistakes have been made at this service department that may have impacted your car or its longevity.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 AM
jmagilto
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a new 2010 GS w/ the LS3 dry sump. From new - Oil pressure is 80 (max on the gauge) when starting and on the high side of the gauge during nominal operation.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Another case where less is sometimes more..
Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 AM
GrandSportSean
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

Unfortunately, just minimal time in my normal schedule to change oil on my own (If anyting, hopefully that means I am still young!)... plus, for the $85 it cost I would expect proper service for an oil change. For now it's just very disapointing that a dealer tech was not more thorough with the highest $ model range in the the Chevy stable. Just to go through the motions with no pride even in the little things. The service order and the picture show the wrong filter. I appreciate all the feedback from everyone! Very helpful.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 AM
RedVette84
Safety Car

They should have installed a higher pressure gauge in the factory. That freaked me out too that the needle would be pinned - also not good for the gauge. They need to put just the certified vette techs on our cars then they would have a less likely chance of wrong filters being put on. I know when my car goes in for it's first service I'm going to be camped out there and watching.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportSean
For now it's just very disapointing that a dealer tech was not more thorough with the highest $ model range in the the Chevy stable. Just to go through the motions with no pride even in the little things.
Given the number of vehicles a service tech deals with on a daily basis, I doubt that they care one way or another whether it is a Malibu or a Corvette. The "highest $ model range in the the Chevy stable" just isn't something they think about, IMO.

That said, you definitely should expect proper service done correctly. One would think an oil change would be a no-brainer. I agree with the earlier post about carefully documenting what happened here. The future of your engine may have been compromised. Did you ask for and inspect the old filter? Pay close attention to how your car performs going forward and keep it documented. Best of luck!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would expect something like this from a quick lube place, but not the dealer........

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 dry sump blew oil...

Old 08-01-2010, 09:15 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll be lucky if there is no serious damage.
Get this documented and have it checked out by a mechanic or dealer that knows what they're doing.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm guessing you have another problem other then the oil filter, unless the filter itself was defective. For a little over three years the PF48 was installed on every Z06(dry sump) leaving Bowling Green. My June 08 built 09 Z06 came with the PF48 filter. I know what filter came on my Z06, as I have two 4-post lifts in my garage and I change the oil on my four cars, including every oil change on the Z06. The PF48 will holdup under the normal oil pressures that a Z06 and GS incurs.The UPF48R was designed for the LS9 (ZR1) as it does have higher pressures and a higher output oil pump then the Z06 or the GS. GM installs the UPF48R on all the engines built at Wixom to standardize on a common oil filter.

I won't use a standard Duragaurd PFxx series oil filter on any car I own. The only time I have had a problem with a defective oil filter, it was a dealer installed Delco PF44 on my C5. I only use Mobil1 and K&N oil filters on my Z06, and WIX on my 56 & 64 Vettes and my Mercedes, but would use the UPF48R on the Z06 if I didn't have to special order them. I can pick up the Mobil1 and the K&N filters at my FLAPS.

I've pointed this out before. How many dealers carry the Delco UPF48R in stock. Not very many, or the Forum dealers wouldn't be selling so many. Try and find a UPF48R at any FLAPS or dealer, impossible. I bet there are a bunch of ZR1's running around with a PF48 filter because the dealer didn't have the proper filter in stock.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-01-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:52 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Seems like more and more of these threads are poping up about dealer "techs" (oxymoron) screwing up oil changes on Dry Sump Systems, or using the wrong part/filter.

Quick Reply: LS3 dry sump blew oil...