C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding dirty with the CEL

Old 09-20-2010, 09:09 AM
jsims002
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P0420, P0430, P0449 CEL headers, high flow cat, catless

Been driving my wife's C6 for several months with the CEL on (PO420, 430) I've been pretty much ignoring it because of the Long Tube catless headers, 3" x and B&B bullets. Well, I finally decided to tackle it because the wife kept bugging me to make the "movie camera" light go away. LOL. (hey, it kinda looks like a movie camera).

Anyway, emissions inspection is due so I thought I'd do the stacking of some spark plug non-fowlers trick. Well, they looked kinda ghetto, so the search continued. I found what I was looking for. Same concept, but a cleaner look. http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html
I installed these this weekend in my garage, erased the codes and............. CEL came on with a code I didn't expect. P0446: EVAP vent solenoid. I was PO'd. I finally tracked down the problem, the plug in front of the rear axle of the passenger's side was disconnected. Threw that bad boy back together and EUREKA!!!!! No codes, no CEL. started, turned off, started drove for a while, turned off, start/off, etc.....several times. CEL gone forever. Anyway, though I'd share if anyone is interested in getting rid of the CEL after installing high flow or catless headers WITHOUT turning off the rear O2 sensors. p.s. I can get a passing emissions inspection with catless headers, but not with the rear O2s turned off. It's all good now. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Last edited by jsims002; 09-20-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good information....thanks for sharing!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Wow
Old 09-20-2010, 11:50 AM
jsims002
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I edited the topic, hopefully it'll get captured if someone is doing a search. I know I couldn't find what I was looking for when I was looking for header CEL options. These jewels work, I was super stoked. One more thing checked off my TO DO list.

[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To Riding dirty with the CEL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Riding dirty with the CEL