C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Paint Removal From Wheel Barrels On Chrome Gumbys

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:43 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Excellent write up

I've been meaning to do this, had a general idea but it's nice to draw on actual experience, thanks.

Question though, where do you get aircraft remover and acetone? Why use 2 products, did you mix them?

To add to the cleanliness issue, I think it would be even easier to keep the barrels clean once "chromed" and waxed. Not much would stick to it unlike the painted surface. Plus, I find it ridiculous easy to keep the outside face chrome clean, just wipe with detailer and done. Should be exactly the same with the chrome barrels.

Plus that full chrome look is really nice.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Ed 718
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incredible writeup........looks awesome
Old 09-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

very good job. I hope you don't have problems with wheel weights not sticking.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 PM
martinf55
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you take off the A/C remover? Rag or plastic scrapper?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:21 PM
martinf55
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post more pics from different angles. Thanks.
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake.Oiler
Most aftermarket wheels have chrome barrels as well. I have aftermarket spyders and the barrels are chome. No problems with the wheel weights sticking.
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
Excellent write up

I've been meaning to do this, had a general idea but it's nice to draw on actual experience, thanks.

Question though, where do you get aircraft remover and acetone? Why use 2 products, did you mix them?

To add to the cleanliness issue, I think it would be even easier to keep the barrels clean once "chromed" and waxed. Not much would stick to it unlike the painted surface. Plus, I find it ridiculous easy to keep the outside face chrome clean, just wipe with detailer and done. Should be exactly the same with the chrome barrels.

Plus that full chrome look is really nice.

I didn't start off using 2 products. From one of the posts about removing the paint, it was said that acetone was used. I bought the acetone because it was cheaper, only reason. Um, no way in heck are you going to remove that gray paint with acetone. Maybe if you soaked the entire wheel in a bath of acetone for a week it could possibly work. I scrubbed and scrubbed with acetone and nothing came off. Totally useless to use acetone as the main remover of the paint. Acetone did very well help with the clean up after I applied the Aircraft Remover. Without the acetone it would have been a bit more difficult.
I bought both products at the local auto store. Both seem to be easy to get, as I checked every store for the best price and they all had both.
I agree, cleaning chrome is very easy compared to cleaning the gray paint. I'll go this route any day with the chrome cleaning.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Amazing! I thought the wheel companies where getting cheap and not chroming the inside of the wheels. Hard to believe they would paint over chrome. Chrome is easier to clean and maintain than paint. That's the beauty of it. Chrome can be maintained with Windex. Paint has to be cleaned, polished, and protected from oxidation.

Does this mean that my painted wheels are chromed underneath? What about the painted fiberglass body?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Great Post, I hate that gray paint going to do it myself this winter. Any body have and neg input on this? Why was the gray paint applied in the first place? Why would the inside of the wheel rust any more than the rest of the wheel its all plated the same?
The wheels are painted because most people won't spend the time to keep the barrels clean. This in turn could damage the chrome over time. Hence, GM has been painting the barrels of the chrome wheels from day 1, even prior to the gumbys.

The wheels are made out of aluminum, not carbon steel. The last time I checked, aluminum doesn't rust. Nor does chrome plating.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 PM
RAT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Snake.Oiler
I shouldn't have any problem. I didn't put any A/C Remover on the weights so I hope they'll hold. I think what you are getting at is that the remover seeped it's way under the weights? If it did and the weights come off then I'll rebalance the wheels.

Originally Posted by martinf55
How do you take off the A/C remover? Rag or plastic scrapper?
The A/C Remover was removed with a dry rag only. A soft plastic scraper would work, just didn't have one.

Originally Posted by Dave O
Most aftermarket wheels have chrome barrels as well. I have aftermarket spyders and the barrels are chome. No problems with the wheel weights sticking.
He is correct.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Now that's a huge improvement! Nice job.

I have after market chromed GM wheels (WCC exchange) on my '06. I just use a wheel brush to clean the barrels each time I wash the car. They look great and I've had zero problem with corrosion. The wheels have been on my car for 4-1/2 years and 39,000 miles.

Last edited by C-INRED; 09-28-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:38 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed 718
Incredible writeup........looks awesome
If I had factory chrome wheels I would be doing this mod and you have done an awesome job on your wheels
Old 09-28-2010, 10:45 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the issue is that the weights are stuck on with adhesive and they have been exposed to a strong solvent (aircraft stripper).
Old 09-28-2010, 10:48 PM
One Bad Vette
Burning Brakes

Outstanding! Looks great! Glad to see someone else as OCD as me lol. The inner barrels of my CCW's are polished so they look the same. Really adds that finishing touch to the wheels.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
RAT
Drifting

The wheels are painted because most people won't spend the time to keep the barrels clean. This in turn could damage the chrome over time. Hence, GM has been painting the barrels of the chrome wheels from day 1, even prior to the gumbys.

The wheels are made out of aluminum, not carbon steel. The last time I checked, aluminum doesn't rust. Nor does chrome plating.
He is 100% correct in both paragraphs.

Originally Posted by C-INRED
Now that's a huge improvement! Nice job.

I have after market chromed GM wheels (WCC exchange) on m '06. I just use a wheel brush to clean the barrels each time I wash the car. They look great and I've had zero problem with corrosion. The wheels have been on my car for 4-1/2 years and 39,000 miles.
It's so easy to keep chrome wheels clean. A little effort will go a very long way in keeping your car looking great.

Originally Posted by peter pan
If I had factory chrome wheels I would be doing this mod and you have done an awesome job on your wheels
Thanks Steve, how is Jeff doing down there in Texas? Or is he back here in Washington??? Maybe I should go to work!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:56 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by glrc6
I didn't start off using 2 products. From one of the posts about removing the paint, it was said that acetone was used. I bought the acetone because it was cheaper, only reason. Um, no way in heck are you going to remove that gray paint with acetone. Maybe if you soaked the entire wheel in a bath of acetone for a week it could possibly work. I scrubbed and scrubbed with acetone and nothing came off. Totally useless to use acetone as the main remover of the paint. Acetone did very well help with the clean up after I applied the Aircraft Remover. Without the acetone it would have been a bit more difficult.
I bought both products at the local auto store. Both seem to be easy to get, as I checked every store for the best price and they all had both.
I agree, cleaning chrome is very easy compared to cleaning the gray paint. I'll go this route any day with the chrome cleaning.
Thanks, clears that up for me completely
Old 09-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Ed 718
Burning Brakes

That aircraft remover is no joke that stuff will burn your skin if it comes in contact. I used some of this to remove paint before and it will basically start to break the paint immediately.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY - Paint Removal From Wheel Barrels On Chrome Gumbys

Old 09-29-2010, 12:31 AM
rwarhol
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a pretty cool mod, i will be doing that.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:29 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All technically true, however aluminum will absolutely oxidize (just like steel) only it's not called 'rust'. And the chrome will blister and flake.

It looks great, just keep them very clean or consider a clear coat.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Cyber2010
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!

Anybody know what the comp grey wheels look like on the barrels when cleaned up? I've never really looked close enough to be able to tell.

Quick Reply: DIY - Paint Removal From Wheel Barrels On Chrome Gumbys