C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Paint Removal From Wheel Barrels On Chrome Gumbys

Old 09-29-2010, 07:29 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by GotChrist?
Amazing! I thought the wheel companies where getting cheap and not chroming the inside of the wheels. Hard to believe they would paint over chrome. Chrome is easier to clean and maintain than paint. That's the beauty of it. Chrome can be maintained with Windex. Paint has to be cleaned, polished, and protected from oxidation.

Does this mean that my painted wheels are chromed underneath? .......
Me too. I had no clue that GM would paint over chrome on the inside barrels. Amazing results. I like the all-chrome look as well. I thought GM was just being cheap by not chroming the entire wheel.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 AM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My car had aftermarket chrome Z06 wheels on it when I bought it last March. The previous owner said he put them on right before he traded it in, last October. Car had 6000K on it when traded. Some A-hole at the dealership drove the car through the winter / spring last year and never cleaned anything. The brand new wheels were trashed! The Chrome was pitted, flaking, and overall crap! I Painted the inside barrels and sold the tires / wheels on E bay. Bought a set of GM Acc. 7 spokes from a forum member here, that were painted! I will not take off the paint, even though I too am as **** as the rest of the folks here and it's not my daily driver. That paint is there as an added layer of protection against the corrosive brake dust, and salt etc. Chrome is porous, and the corrosive elements attack the aluminum, then the chrome starts flaking. After that it is VERY expensive to have the wheels stripped, and re chromed. It was cheaper to replace than to re chrome. The inside of the painted barrels looks fine when cleaned, I am amazed at the amount of crap that collects just driving the car. The chrome layer on the barrels is pretty thin also. If you want the chrome I would suggest having the entire wheel cleared as an added protection, but the chrome is pretty slick, and you may get flaking as you wouldn't want to scratch up the surface for adhesion. I'm going with the engineering and longevity testing that the factory did to come up with a wheel that they could warranty without replacing on hundreds of thousands of cars. To each thier own!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:15 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great Post - thanks!
This method is NOT for the daily driver, wash every month or two crowd.

Last edited by BSE1956; 09-29-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic
I wonder how long they have been painting the barrels and if all chrome wheels are completely chromed? I have an 07' with factory chrome wheels and I'd like to do this.
Don't hold me to this.....but there was a thread a couple years back about this very same thing.

I told the guy there was no way the barrels on his chrome wheels were chrome...I mean,why would they paint them grey if they were chrome?

Well,he stripped them & posted pics & sure enough they were chrome all the way through.

Like I said,this was at least two years ago,so I'd say the chances are very good the chrome wheels are your 07 have chrome barrels.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Don't hold me to this.....but there was a thread a couple years back about this very same thing.

I told the guy there was no way the barrels on his chrome wheels were chrome...I mean,why would they paint them grey if they were chrome?

Well,he stripped them & posted pics & sure enough they were chrome all the way through.

Like I said,this was at least two years ago,so I'd say the chances are very good the chrome wheels are your 07 have chrome barrels.
and to add some info for what it's worth.
The wheels are chrome all over to seal the whole wheel.
Also, it's more work to only chrome part of the rim because it would involve masking off part of it.
And, there would be a edge between where the chrome ends and in this case, the aluminum.
Contaminates then very easily get under that edge and start the chrome peeling etc.
People would be surprised how many things are chromed and then painted either partially or completely.
To add to the reason for the painted barrels, is the barrels do Not get polished like the face of the wheel before the chrome is applied.
The quality of the machined surface finish in the barrels will vary so it's painted to give a uniform look to the wheel.
So yes, even though the whole wheel is chromed, when the paint is removed from the barrel area, some wheels will look smoother and shinier than others.
Chrome is hard as a rock and pretty much the most durable finish when properly taken care of.
Biggest problem with chrome is not the chrome itself, it's the quality of how it is applied.
The good thing is, these wheels may not have show chrome top notch plating, but they're a far cry above the quality of the old Cragars of days gone by
Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 657 Likes on 441 Posts

You can use the technique nicely illustrated here to also remove the OEM clear coat from the various polished wheels Vettes have used over the years.

You will be amazed how the polished rims glow once you remove the clear coat which can go milky after a year or two.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Dif
The quality of the machined surface finish in the barrels will vary so it's painted to give a uniform look to the wheel.
So yes, even though the whole wheel is chromed, when the paint is removed from the barrel area, some wheels will look smoother and shinier than others.
As I posted earlier, I have GM wheels that were after market chromed. I did the WCC chrome exchange shortly after buying my car.

The barrels of mine are not as smooth as the OP. I would describe them as a brushed finish but they still look great. So what Dif says is correct, the smoothness of the finish may vary.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:32 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone

While looking through the and using the search function I did not see this post. I would love to see and read it. If you remember the title can you please post it for us?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dif
and to add some info for what it's worth.
The wheels are chrome all over to seal the whole wheel.
Also, it's more work to only chrome part of the rim because it would involve masking off part of it.
And, there would be a edge between where the chrome ends and in this case, the aluminum.
Contaminates then very easily get under that edge and start the chrome peeling etc.
People would be surprised how many things are chromed and then painted either partially or completely.
To add to the reason for the painted barrels, is the barrels do Not get polished like the face of the wheel before the chrome is applied.

Chrome is hard as a rock and pretty much the most durable finish when properly taken care of.
Biggest problem with chrome is not the chrome itself, it's the quality of how it is applied.
The good thing is, these wheels may not have show chrome top notch plating, but they're a far cry above the quality of the old Cragars of days gone by
From what I have seen and read this is very true. So if your barrels is not as polished as mine be for warned. I still think they'll look much better then the gray paint.

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
You can use the technique nicely illustrated here to also remove the OEM clear coat from the various polished wheels Vettes have used over the years.

You will be amazed how the polished rims glow once you remove the clear coat which can go milky after a year or two.
Thanks, some really good info. Thanks for sharing with us.

Originally Posted by C-INRED
As I posted earlier, I have GM wheels that were after market chromed. I did the WCC chrome exchange shortly after buying my car.

The barrels of mine are not as smooth as the OP. I would describe them as a brushed finish but they still look great. So what Dif says is correct, the smoothness of the finish may vary.
There we go, as it seems some barrels are smoother then others. Would you happen to have any photos of the inside of your barrels?

Last edited by RAT; 09-29-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:17 PM
martinf55
Racer

Name of the auto store you bought the ac remover and acetone????
Old 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM
HD_Rider
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Home Depot and Lowe's also sells Acetone and Aircraft Remover.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:27 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 244 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Those look great! I wonder why GM painted them in the first place? They look WAY better without the paint.

Tom
Old 09-29-2010, 07:13 PM
LMBZ4ME
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks great. Excellent write up. They should have come this way from the factory.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:59 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

This thread pisses me off. I thought I got over this OCD crap when I sold my CCW wheels

Seriously, they look great.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Wow...this is very tempting! Thanks for posting!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
Those look great! I wonder why GM painted them in the first place? They look WAY better without the paint.

Tom
Unprotected and Un-cleaned chrome will hold brake dust, dirt and will hold moisture. Since 90% of all car owners never clean the backside of their wheels, leaving them dirty for years, the chrome will start to bubble, crack and peel if left unattended.

GM decided a few years ago to solve the problem by painting the inner part of the wheels making the back-side "maintenance free" by sealing the chrome, which is porous.

I've seen the back side of chrome wheels where 6" chunks of chrome plating were bubbling and peeling off, leaving a nasty rough aluminum wheel exposed, also leaving a sharp, rough edge that will cut your hands in a second.

You're wheels look beautiful! I have no doubt you'll keep them looking that way for years!!!!

Last edited by Luster; 09-29-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job. I added this thread to the C6 FAQ.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:36 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by glrc6
There we go, as it seems some barrels are smoother then others. Would you happen to have any photos of the inside of your barrels?
Sorry I don't, but I'll try to get one for you. I won't be able to get it posted for a couple of days.

I can tell you though that even though they are not as smooth as the OP's, they look just as good IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY - Paint Removal From Wheel Barrels On Chrome Gumbys

Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Great Post, I hate that gray paint going to do it myself this winter. Any body have and neg input on this? Why was the gray paint applied in the first place? Why would the inside of the wheel rust any more than the rest of the wheel its all plated the same?
When my 2001 Camaro SS was brand new the chrome wheels looked so nice. The chrome on the inside of the wheels looked as good as the chrome on the outside. Now who takes off their wheels to clean the inside regularly? Well for one, not me. Chrome needs to be cleaned regularly, and if you don't do a decent job of it, you will end up with pitted chrome, guaranteed. I live where there is no snow or salt on the roads. G.M. paints the inside of those wheels to make them last, because once chrome starts pitting it peels.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

OP, your wheels look awesome with the paint removed.

I have an 07 with polished/clear-coated wheels which I like a lot. The barrels are clear-coated as well and look great (a lot like yours) when they are clean. The problem is the barres are not smooth like yours, they are grooved like the grooves on a record and a PITA to get clean and keep clean. i have been tempted to paint mine grey just to help fill in the grooves and help with the cleaning issue.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by j_digi454
OP, your wheels look awesome with the paint removed.

I have an 07 with polished/clear-coated wheels which I like a lot. The barrels are clear-coated as well and look great (a lot like yours) when they are clean. The problem is the barres are not smooth like yours, they are grooved like the grooves on a record and a PITA to get clean and keep clean. i have been tempted to paint mine grey just to help fill in the grooves and help with the cleaning issue.
The grooves are from the machining process.
As the wheels are being machined, the cutting tool is moving slightly too fast.
If the tool was moving slower it would leave a smoother finish.
But, all things considered, a smoother barrel finish serves no real purpose.
Bottom line, .. if you're a wheel manufacturer .. time is money

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - Paint Removal From Wheel Barrels On Chrome Gumbys